Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Owen signs for Man Utd
  • trailmonkey

Hope it puts him back in the frame for a place in the England squad. We still need him.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

As long as its on the right terms its one of the best singings of the pre season. Pay as you play/score type deal and considering the amount of chances man U will make, I would put M Owen up there as one of the most accomplished 18 yard box strikers around. Its not s though him and Rooney need time to develop an understanding either.

As i say, if its on low wages and high bonuses, everyones a winner

Pigface
    Free Member

I didn’t see this coming, a manc mate is bewildred.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colnagokid

£40k a week I heard, free agent, a good bit of business

tails
    Free Member

mleh still need to find 25 goals to replace ronaldo. owen goes some way to replace tevez goals but not work rate. Anderson needs to start scoring.

warton
    Free Member

He’s lost his pace with that last knee op. I saw it first hand when he was at Newcastle. Shearer changed his game to cope with the loss of pace, Owen has not got the strength to do it, he’s finished as a top class goal scorer.

andywhit
    Free Member

Odd signing.

Can’t see Utd winning the league next season.

Lanesra
    Free Member

Bizarre signing, you have £80 million from Madrid for Ronaldo + your usual transfer budget and sign Michael Owen on a free and let Benezema go to Madrid

Funny watching the scousers and mancs equally frothing at the mouth over him signing though

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Ferguson has a history of getting the best out of half knackered strikers- Solskaer won them the European cup so you never know..

Lanesra
    Free Member

It was the European Cup that knackered Solskjaer (the sliding celebration when he scored)

If the dippers manage to keep hold of Alonso and Mascherano and Chelsea add a couple of players it could be a good season

andywhit
    Free Member

>Solskaer won them the European cup so you never know..

He was three years younger than Owen then and hadn’t had big injury problems at that time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Complete shock to me. I know footie fans are very fickle but I can’t see Mancs being happy watching Owen running out with a Manure shirt on. Bizarre….only in football eh?

waynekerr
    Free Member

Nice one Lanesra (the dippers) never heard that one before.

I have never rated Owen, he was reasonable when he had his pace, but come on, he only has one foot.

trailmonkey

I have never rated Owen, he was reasonable when he had his pace, but come on, he only has one foot.

Quite bizzare. Check out his goals to games ratio. Still.

RicB

Great deal for both imo. Proven international goalscorer bought for free, Owen gets his chance to play in Europe and earn a place in the 2010 cup squad.

The problem seems to be Real Madrid building another Galacticos team, and every good player in Europe wanting to be in. Benzema seemed destined for Man U until RM bought Ronaldo and Kaka. If you believe the media, they’ve got an agreement go get Ribery next season too :-/

johnhoo
    Free Member

yes, even at Newcastle where he hardly played – 65 games over 4 years – he still managed 30 goals.

That’s almost a goal every other game in a notoriously poor team. As Manure are not a poor team, sadly, I can see this being a good signing if he can stay fit.

johnhoo
    Free Member

The problem for Real is that, out of all these galacticos, some of them are going to get fed up with not playing.

La Liga still has the ‘only 11 players on the pitch at any one time’ rule, so somebody isn’t going to get a game…

iamtheresurrection

If he does as well as Sheringham did…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Struggling to understand the doubters here.

How many playes in the premiership earn about 40K per week. I would say a VERY high percentage. Now compare that with Owens experience and ability and its a steal.

The comment above about replacing Ronaldo is very short sighted. Ferguson doesnt sit thinking he has to buy a carbon copy of Ronaldo or he wont be successfull. He’s got his replacement at a fraction of the cost (And admittedly lower ability). He sits and thinks what more he can get out of ROONEY and how can Owen compliment him. He also looks at the fact that with Ronaldo gone they can probably put a lot of quick balls into the box for Owen to feed off (Rooney wont be any slouch in this dept either). If rooney & owen click and Man U play to their strengths then this can be a success.

For me though, the league is chelsea’s to lose next season

Hairychested
    Free Member

I reckon Owen is a good signing. Give him a ball in the opposition’s box and he’ll score (it sounds dodgy, doesn t it?). Playing alongside Rooney might freshen him up a bit too.
    A goal every other game, well, not too bad either. If a Joe Bloggs had such a ratio we’d be wanting him in the England national team. As MO is a MU player, logic doesn’t apply.
    BTW Where is Rude Boy when we talk about one of theirs becoming one of ours?

bikemonkey
    Free Member

The strength of Fergie is that he doesn’t rest on his laurels and, even after massive victories, he knows you have to improve for the next season. Although I’ve warmed to the idea of Owen at United, Ronaldo and Tevez out with Valencia and Owen in is still a net loss – we won’t be as good next year as we were last.

Fingers crossed that Owen isn’t the end of the buying.

trailmonkey

As much as we need Owen in the national team, I think Ferguson will do everything he can to limit Owen’s inclusion in the squad. Ferguson has a poor record in this area as it is, given Owen’s health record I doubt that Man Utd will release him for anything other than WC qualifiers.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

No one wants to sign for UTD because this will be fergies last year, and looks like he is well and truly losing the plot,getting mixed up with managing the worlds most hated club, and his race horse business. i heard owens agent called Sir bacon face,and this is what happened…” I have a lame ex-winner thats needs somewhere to see out the rest of his career, can you fit him in?” he meant to book him at his stables, not Old Trafford……

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Owen signs for Man Utd’ is closed to new replies.