Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ow
  • verses

Some arse has dug an obscured ditch behind a mound (turning it into a ramp) on a trail I’ve been riding for years.

I now have chipped teeth, grazed legs, ringing in my ears and am struggling to turn my neck.

A&E isn’t quite how I planned to spend my Sunday.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Was the hole sabotage or the work of a misguided trail fairy ?

verses

Suspect misguided trail fairy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Safe and speedy recovery, hope it’s nothing tok serious.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I came acropper on a natural version of this yesterday.

Smashed my 6day 22 hour old spesh echelon up , my oakleys and broke my nose

verses

After much prodding, poking and xraying the verdict is that it’s just whiplash and nothing’s broken. Just had a very crap night’s sleep and won’t be going to work for a day or two.

I always wear a lid when MTBing, but have been in the camp that thinks there’s limited circumstances where they’re useful. In this case I landed flat on the top of my head with the full force of my body coming down on it and my head itself isn’t even slightly sore, no lumps, cuts or bruises. Obviously you can’t say exactly how it would have gone if I hadn’t worn one, but my gut instinct is that it’s done it’s job exactly as it should have 🙂

The lid looks fine, but I don’t think I’ll be taking any chances with it, anyone seen any good deals lately?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Misguided trail fairies are the bane of my existence.. hope you recover soon.

picked up a Urge AM ( depends if you like them though) from CRC for 48 recently

verses

Got called back to the hospital yesterday morning. Turns out my xrays were misread and I’ve fractured a vertebrae! Had an MRI to establish the extent of the damage and have been kept in over night.

Currently in a neck brace and crossing my fingers that they say surgery isn’t necessary…

Doubt I’ll be back on the bike much before Xmas… Typically the call came about an hour after I ordered a new lid.

molgrips
    Free Member

a vertebrae

A vertibra.

njee20
    Free Member

Vertebra Molly. Cmon. Get you’re pedantry write!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Vertical Bra 😯

The man needs a Vertical Bra now does he 😆

Stay safe out there, riding bikes is…..(add views here)

verses

Some of the neck braces they’ve described sound like a vertical bra!

molgrips
    Free Member

That was a typo!

shermer75
    Free Member

A vertibra.

Vertibrus

verses

Verdigris?

leftyboy
    Free Member

You were lucky to get a call back I rode for 18 months after A&E missed 2 ruptured discs in my neck and a fracture to one of my vertebra. Only came to light when i had an MRI to discover why my hand had stopped working!

verses

Blimey, that’s rough!

I was skeptical when the nurse on Sunday said someone else would look at the xrays, I’m very glad they did…

jemima
    Free Member

I would be so angry if someone built such a trap into my local trails resulting in a serious crash. Or any trails for that matter. I hate to see ‘borrow pits’ for rubbish little jumps anywhere and it’s clearly plain dangerous to have then hidden behind what was previously roll-able.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Not ideal as I was guiding in wales the following weekend and actually had a (fortunately slow speed) off which resulted in no more damage. Having physio now to help with nerve damage from bulging discs. Medics face was a picture when he realised saying ‘your fractured vertebra has healed nicely” was the first I’d heard of it being fractured!

Still think the NHS is excellent and mistakes happen, luckily I got away with it this time 🙂

Hope you heal soon.

wwaswas

My wife got a call at home after I’d been in for an x-ray on a wrist injury. She’d been complaining to a friend I’d been milking it a bit.

Call started with the caller saying they were a radiologist and they’d reviewed my x-ray and found a possible break.

My wife immediately assumed it was her mate on a wind up.

Most of the call was my wife saying ‘I know it’s you! You can drop the silly voice now.’ and the woman at the other end saying ‘Look, it really is the hospital could you tell your husband he’s got a broken wrist. I might call back later to make sure he’s got the message.”

After the call finished my wife remembered her friend was away on business for the day. She let it go to answer phone when the radiologist phoned back.

beardo74
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that.

I broke my collar bone because of a similar bit of trail modification in Epping Forest a couple of years ago. I’ve been a little more circumspect on “natural” trails since then…..

Get well soon.

verses

Latest update… I’ll be having an op to fit a full head and neck brace which will be screwed into my skull and have to stay on for 2-3 months!

At least that gives me some interesting options for Halloween fancy dress.

wwaswas

bugger 🙁

Well at least you’re getting treatment now but I really don’t envy you having to wear that for so long.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ll be having an op to fit a full head and neck brace which will be screwed into my skull and have to stay on for 2-3 months!

😯 😯 😯

Jeepers! that sounds rough. Hope it heals more quickly than that for you

Scapegoat

When he was 11 my lad had a fall skateboarding. A&E diagnosed a sprained ankle, and warned that it needed to be mobilised after 24 hours of ice treatment and rest, and that he wasn’t to favour it. He seemed to be getting on alright with this as a concept, but on a couple of occasions I bollocked him for limping, reminding him of the hospital advice not to favour it and a week after the accident took him rugby training, with the caveat that if it was causing him too much grief he should sit it out. He lasted about ten minutes of stoical effort.

Two weeks after the accident I got a call from the hospital asking us to take him back in. On arrival a consultant explained that a consultant review of the X rays had revealed a triplane fracture of the tibia. Apparently they aren’t the sort of fracture a junior A&E doc would be expected to notice.

Guilty? Yeah, a bit……..

molgrips
    Free Member

At least that gives me some interesting options for Halloween fancy dress.

I don’t think you’re going to need any fancy dress tbh.

paul4stones

Unlucky and best healing wishes. I’m sitting here in a neck brace although I haven’t broken anything in my neck, just stretched it all enough to give me some horrible nervy pain in my arms and limited coordination. Strava says I didn’t move for half an hour after crashing down a gravelly track on Sunday night. Seeing the max facs folk on Friday to see if the broken bones in my face need treating 😕

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ow’ is closed to new replies.