Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Overnight parking – Gisburn and Cragg Quarry
  • boxelder

In Preston for a week for work, and would like to ride some local(ish) venues – Gisburn and Lee/Cragg Quarry.
    For two nights, I’ll be sleeping in the van (self contained). Any discrete parking near those places? Forestry and Ribble Valley Council car parks all seem to be ‘no overnights’. Campsites another option – Marl Barn near Gisburn looks good.

MrSparkle

I’d rather park nearer to Gisburn than to Lee/Cragg!

binners

Indeed. Round Lee Quarry is a bit…

This place is a campsite over in Edenfield. It’s a lovely spot which is literally at the bottom of the service track climb up to Cragg Quarry. The Paddock Campsite

I’d stick to Cragg, to be honest. Theres loads of great riding around here. Trails everywhere on both sides of the valley that you can ride straight from the campsite. Drop me a message if you need some pointers on routes. Depending on when you’re thinking of riding, we could show you around

This is directly above the Paddock, up by Cragg with an absolutely cracking singletrack descent back down

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gQjwKk]Bit moody up here tonight[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

Lee Quarry is now sadly just populated by scrotes ragging around on stolen crossers. Its horrible. I wouldn’t bother

boxelder

Cheers Binners. Sort of thought the two were linked tbh. It would probably be Tuesday 12/Wed 13, but only finish in Preston at 5.30pm, so likely a lights job. I’ve a Premier Inn or suchlike on the Tuesday, but in Manchester (change of work venue/date calamity….), so may do Cragg on the Tuesday.

binners

Cragg and Lee are linked with a great trail, but Lee Quarry is a bit of a nightmare nowadays. It’s become an unofficial motocross track for nobheads. And its a proper slog back up

Theres miles better riding to be had around here. Drop me a message and I’m sure we can get a few of us together to show you around. Lights isn’t an issue. We’re usually out after dark. And all rides finish at the pub, obviously, and we’re blessed with some good’uns

Last Monday night…

lowey

Marl Barn is spot on for Gisburn. Nice site

binners

You may have seen Lee Quarry on the tellybox last week. They filmed Peaky Blinders there when they needed a suitably apocalyptic looking wasteland

They must have had to do plenty of takes to not have the local urchins on nicked motorbikes in shot 😂

martinhutch

You might be able to park up for the night at the top of Bowland Knott, just behind Gisburn. Wake up to perfect views of the Dales. Not so handy for the A59 if you’re heading to Preston in the morning.

richardkennerley

I went to Lee quarry a few weeks ago. First time I’ve been there in a couple of years. Tbh, it was pretty much exactly the same as any other time I’ve been, there’s a few knackered bits but it’s mostly fine and there was no one else there. Worth a look if you’ve never been before.

BenjiM

Lee Quarry is now sadly just populated by scrotes ragging around on stolen crossers. Its horrible. I wouldn’t bother

We did a training session with the kids and Crankit up there a few weeks back and it was great. Everything was pretty much rideable and the kids loived it. There was a a Crankit XCO race a couple of weeks later and as far as I’m aware that went well too. I’d echo parking at Gisburn Forest rather than Lee / Cragg though!

Also the jump section at the bottom end is great fun!

Also a few trails up Longridge Fell which is a wee bit closer to Preston. Pretty dry up there at the moment as well. Might need a GPX (or a local) to find things though. (and there are some trees down)

boxelder

Cheers all. Will be in touch nearer the time Binners.

IdleJon

You may have seen Lee Quarry on the tellybox last week. They filmed Peaky Blinders there when they needed a suitably apocalyptic looking wasteland

That’s funny – you can even see tyre prints in that still. 😀

boxelder

Looking at the time I’ll have and travel involved, I’m just going to stay more local I think. Cheers.

Mugboo

We were up Gisburn last Wed and stayed ovenight in Settle in the car park for a fiver, very peaceful.

As they have a toilet I’m not sure why they don’t allow it a Gisburn. We used to stay over sometimes in the past but there is a camera now and the threat of a £50 fine.

We have a portaloo in the van but its nicer not to use if possible.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.