Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Overly successful eBay sales. Anyone else get edgy…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I like to think I put a lot of effort into my listings and I usually do very well with my ebay sales, hitting top prices against similar items.

I have a roof rack for sale at the moment, with very rotten/rusted clamps. Needs a major overhaul. Was thinking £60 would be a good price. It’s already £120++ and it closes in an hour.

I cant help but feel nervous about it not meeting the buyer’s expectations, but it’s got loads of photos of the rust so no one is bidding blind on it.

There’s no way of getting scammed with a Collection only sale is there?

tinybits
    Free Member

Only if they show up and then haggle further. Not that you’d mind by the sound of it!

bruneep

Item not recieved?

Depends how they pay you, pp then collect see above. Cash should be fine. Expect the haggle down tho.

bearnecessities

Maybe they think the car is included? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive offered to deliver within 40 miles for 50p/mile

or they can collect.

fortunately the current high bidder is 124 @ 100% so pretty dependable. The underbidder Im more worried about, 9 @ 100% but only bidding activity over the last week or so.

Stoner
    Free Member

well, if it all goes well, Ill treat myself to an extra pint and put a folding one in the tin on the bar at the same time.

aracer
    Free Member

This thread is worthless without pictures a link

They could change their mind when they see it. As above just make sure you take cash for a collection sale, not PP (same applies if you’re delivering).

Stoner
    Free Member
    matthewjb
    Free Member

I do worry when the bids get near to the new price.

But the happiness of bidders often seems to bear no relation to the price paid. It’s ones who pay a few pence who seem to complain most.

shotsaway
    Free Member

Maybe they think they are getting the Land Rover in the deal?

matthewjb
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    here you go
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140975848550?

It does look a bit of a state. I guess the bidders know/hope that the rusted bits aren’t crucial.

How much are they new?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

You’ve clearly explained it’s rusty condition and shown specific pics…it’s going for a fair whack but more fool them!

Stoner
    Free Member

It does look a bit of a state.

exactly, its pretty obvious how much the channel faces are rotten. But it’s still quite sound (there’s enough material/way it’s built to more than comfortably take the 75Kg max load on a landy roof)

AH well, caveat emptor it is then.

Anyway, you need at least two eejits to get to this position 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

Anyway, you need at least two eejits to get to this position

Surely one eejit and the Stoner shill bidding account?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Paypal and collect scam:
    http://community.ebay.co.uk/question/Trust-Safety/Collect-Person-Pay/2000044794

Thing is that’s only worth doing for high value items really.

More likely there are a lot of idiots out there bidding over the odds (not that I’ve ever been one of them, not me, oh no….) so I’d guess you’ll be ok.

Cougar

Are the clamps removable and readily replaceable?

I’m thinking: buy rack, replace clamps, sell rack, profit?

Stoner
    Free Member

Is there an acceptable form of receipt that eBay will consider proof of sale? Just print something out and have them sign it? Take their photo with it perhaps?

Stoner
    Free Member

I was considering refurbing the rack but got an identical (but shorter one) from a friend of a friend locally for £75.

To refurb it would entail carefully cutting the clamp sections off and then simply bolting the rack to at least two (or four if nervous) standard heavy duty halfords gutter clamp bars which cost about £30 each.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Apparently not – but that’s the thing, it’s not worth a geezer getting his photo taken for £120. A car, boat, …. then yes it happens. But I dont think it’s the case here.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Probably thinks he’s building on the Land Rover…

molgrips
    Free Member

Since when do Land Rover drivers worry about spending loads of money on rusty junk?

sweepy
    Free Member

Zing!

Stoner
    Free Member

drinks on me lads. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Flogging IKEA blue bags ? 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

better and cheaper than cardboard boxes when moving house. Easy to carry, will stack because they fill into a box shape.

I still have 25 which I use for moving firewood into the house.

😛

And, really, stalking a fella’s ebay history?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Overly successful eBay sales. Anyone else get edgy…’ is closed to new replies.