Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Over the Glasses Glasses?
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a pair of cycling stylee glasses that I can wear over ordinary prescription specs.

I’m sick of getting whacked in the eye by flies etc. shooting in the side of my specs so looking for something that offers a bit more side protection.

I can’t afford laser eye surgery (yet), and I really CBA with contact lenses and I’m nowhere near Gnar / Enduro enough to wear goggles whilst bimbling round the local trails. Are prescription cycling specs my only option?

I have a requirement to wear eye protection at work and get round this by wearing one of these. Are there no cycle helmets with a similar visor type arrangement?

Yak

this sort of thing? There’s a few aero road helmets like this

hilldodger
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member

The white POC one’s quite cool but i’d feel like this guy!

LMT
    Free Member

I use Oakleys, I know cost a fortune, but they do the trick, Got some half jackets which when I got them didn’t look too bad, now I will admit they look pretty stupid but they do the job.

Would definitely grab another pair of oakleys for cycling just the cost stops me at the moment.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Casco and Giro also do road helmets with visors. I think they are all up at the more expensive end of their ranges though. Could you not get a prescription pair of riding glasses made up and keep whatever helmet you’ve currently got. I expect this would work out cheaper and you’d look a lot less ‘special’.

40mpg

Plenty of cycling/sports glasses have an option for an inner retainer for prescription lenses. You can even still swap the outer lense for dark/yellow/clear etc.

maloney19710776
    Free Member

I use similar to these, although my wife reckons I look like a cross between Robocop and a paedophile.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-DRIVING-OVERGLASSES-Spectacles-Yellow-x/dp/B00FKUADJ8/ref=sr_1_17?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1442230347&sr=1-17&keywords=sports+over+glasses

unisex I notice

deejayen
    Free Member

I bought a Casco aero helmet a few years ago, but found that the visor was too close to my face – my prescription lenses rubbed against the visor.

I bought a Kask Bambino helmet last year, but it came without the visor, and I’ve only just got around to buying one. Thankfully, it seems to be compatible with my glasses. The nice thing is that the visor is secured with magnets, so you can put the helmet on then ‘snap’ the visor into place. However, there’s the risk that the visor can become accidently detached. I haven’t yet tried it on the road, so I’m not sure if it will be great or useless.

However, these helmets are designed for time trials, so might look a bit dorky for other types of riding. I’ll be using it on a recumbent, so I’m dorky anyway!

hilldodger
    Free Member

The Giro helmet is surprisingly comfortable for regular use, I use one most of the time on road and sometimes for non-gnar mtb – the magnets hold the visor really securely and it is easily flipped for visor free riding.
    Only downside I can imagine is that it doesn’t go too well with helmet mounted light/camera.
    Cost of the helmet was far less than a decent pair of prescription riding glasses and the “Tron factor” is an added bonus (IMO).

Yak

However, these helmets are designed for time trials, so might look a bit dorky for other types of riding

Maybe, but ‘normal’ aero helmets are appearing in xc now, so it’s only one more step to add a visor.

stoddys
    Free Member

Iv got the same problem at work regarding safety glasses, im about to pull the trigger on
    http://safetyspecs.co.uk/specialoffer.htm
    3 pairs for all types of light. i tried the sample with a clear insert and am happy with them.
    great for site work and biking!

zilog6128

If you’re worried about what you’ll look like wearing goggles, do you really want to go around wearing a TT helmet or something like the glasses maloney linked to above?

Just get some prescription Oakleys or similar. At least you can wear them off the bike as well!

RustyMac

Adidas do some sports sunglasses that can have a prescription insert added to them.

http://www.adidas.com/Eyewear/content/en/products/10298/evil-eye-halfrim-pro-L

click on the Rx Ready tab below the picture of the glasses, other styles are available.

maloney19710776
    Free Member

It is a fair point Zilog. There are two reasons I wear overglasses, the first is I no longer worry how I look – a fat middle aged man with no fashion sense does not care about these things. The second is, I have noticed my eyesight gradually deteriorating over the years and can spend silly money on regular glasses yearly, I have no desire to throw more cash at prescription sports glasses yearly also.
    OP – stop worrying about looking like a nob 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Over the Glasses Glasses?’ is closed to new replies.