Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Over-excited Dad build….
  • cjr61

Afternoon all,

CJR-Jnr is rapidly growing out of his 16″ wheel bike so I wanted to build him a new one. Built his previous bike from a freshly powder coated Carrera Luna and bits from the spares box. Some custom decals from James From The Sticks from the parish….and it was mint.

I felt I could go a little further with this one.

I’ve loved building it, sourcing parts (half the battle at the moment), buying too much (damn eBay auctions), selling bits, repairing bits, clearing out my spares and the whole design coming together. Also learnt to build wheels (and built a wheel truing jig on the side too). Overall, it is massively overspecced (I freely admit that, but that was half the fun), but with selling some spares and extra bits it hasn’t cost me anything.

Just wanted to share because I’m chuffed to bits. Weight has come down from the original stock build and most importantly Jnr loves it! …and within about 2 mins he’s learnt how to skid with the back brake…haha, Mum wasn’t too impressed with the impending danger!

Stay well. Chris

P.s Yes I know it’s the cardinal sin to mix comic book brands but these were his favourites so I couldn’t complain.

P.p.s My grass needs cutting

THE BEFORE….

cjr61

cjr61

cjr61

cjr61

cjr61

cjr61

cjr61

MoreCashThanDash

We do love a good dad build thread.

Both my kids have massively overspecced bikes that they never have time to ride now they are 18 and 14.

piemonster

That’s awesome 👍

malv173
    Free Member

Very cool!

cjr61

Thanks all, kept me out of trouble for a while.

jamj1974

I’m loving that!

dyna-ti

That is awesome indeed 😀
    My Dad got me a Raleigh Chipper 🙁 it was rubbish and the brakes hardly worked.

goby

Ah very cool and great work! 👍

cjr61

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

plus-one

Looks great !! Is it not still super heavy bso for a kid though ?

matt_outandabout

Once more with feeling:

Kids on (cool) bikes, rock. 🙌🤘

cjr61

Thanks all.

@plus-one
    yeah, it’s not a weight weenie and probably heavier than ideal. However, decent hubs, BB and moving parts helps it roll pretty well. Also, I didn’t want to spend loads on a frame/donor bike. This bike build was mega fun.

cjr61

matt_outandabout

Once more with feeling:

Kids on (cool) bikes, rock. 🙌🤘

Hell yeah!

Tracey

One lucky lad 😎

It’s always fun building bikes for kids, even when they are big kids 😃

igm

Looks good.

Does the suspension work? Sometimes if it doesn’t a handful of decent bearings and an air shock can make a massive difference to the rear.

cjr61

@igm thanks. Yes everything was liberally greased and the suspension actually feels ok. It moves! Which is more than some of these kids frames. Looking past the brand, it’s a nice little frame. Air shock would drop about 100-150g but from what I’ve read they don’t work as well as a coil in this frame.

plus-one

I applaud your efforts it’s a super cool bike for a kid :). Just feel cheap kids bikes are boat anchors!! But yes your upgrades make a difference.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Over-excited Dad build….’ is closed to new replies.