Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ovenglovestrackworld
  • WillH

We’ve got a pair of padded cotton mitten-type ones, but after a year or two they have sort of thinned, I think would be the best way to describe them. Not visibly worn, but they feel thin, compared to the plump cushioning they had when new. Just old and been through the wash once too often perhaps.

Anyway, after a sudden, large increase in temperature nearly caused me to drop a hot dish on my bare feet the other evening, I am looking at new ones.

I hate the ones that are two mitts joined together like this:

they’re a pain. The current cotton mittens are ok at first but don’t last long. Anyone used silicone gloves?
    they look quite good.

So what do you* use, and are they any good?

*by ‘you’ I mean your butler/maid, obviously…

lemonysam
    Free Member

We use cotton joined together ones but the leather gauntlets I’ve used in commercial bakeries are great. I don’t like the silicone ones very much but they work ok.

http://bakerybits.co.uk/professional-leather-oven-gloves.html

stgeorge

*by ‘you’ I mean your butler/maid, obviously…

You don’t have a cook? 😯

slowoldman

I gave up on gloves and use an oven cloth these days.

globalti
    Free Member

Aga oven gloves: not cheap but very good.

ads678

[/url]brother Lee by , on Flickr[/img]

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I use a silicon one and like it.
    The joined ones my partner has have led to me burning my wrists lots of times
    The best cloth ones I have seen are the very expensive gauntlet Le creuset ones with a magnet to stick them to you oven door. But Ikea gauntlet nearly as good and v cheap.
    Do NOT buy the cheap cloth ones from TIGER which I found don’t insulate enought and I am awaiting a response from their head office before sending pair to Trading Standards. 🙁

ac282

The Silicone ones are great. They are water proof so if you are protected from scalds as well as burns.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The silicon ones are great, as others mentioned, for when the glove might get wet. The steam coming through a wet ‘material’ oven glove gave me the worst burns I had in 5+ years working in kitchens.

Having said that, oven cloths seem more versatile and can be tossed over your shoulder when you’re rushing around the kitchen. Good if you have metal-handled pans which’re likely to be burning hot as the cloth’s always to hand.

these

maccruiskeen

Its never occurred to me to actually try this out – as I just use the tea towel / choas / clatter / occasional loud swearing technique,……. but I should bring a spare pair of welders gauntlets back from the workshop – they only cost £4 and would probably outlast anything you’d buy from a cookshop

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

This is a new low

WillH

howsyourdad1 – Member
    This is a new low

I know. I did think twice before posting, but you lot have a sometimes worrying amount of knowledge on the most obscure subjects 🙂

Cheers makecoldplayhistory, will investigate the cloths, but tempted by the silicone ones too.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve made my own by cutting up and stitching together old cycling shorts and tyres. works a treat, I’ve got some photos.

…no I haven’t I use a tea-towel. what else are they meant for? they don’t absorb water after all.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Welding gloves off ebay – £3.50

Nice lining and lots of colours (also exactly the same as so-called ‘wooburning stove gloves’)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

nah i cant complain i posted about repairing a washing machine once. I think it was a saturday night as well. Hope you get osme good gloves!

richc
    Free Member

Nice lining and lots of colours (also exactly the same as so-called ‘wooburning stove gloves’)

Why do you need gloves to open your wood burner? Surely if you move you hands quick enough and don’t grab the handle you don’t need them

sharkbait
    Free Member

How do you open the stove without touching the handle? They’re also needed for rearranging the logs when loading it.

ninkynonk
    Free Member

only one choice, has to be… Joy Division Oven Gloves!

theotherjonv

Beaten to it by Ninkynonk

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEag0ss9pFU[/video]

IHN

TTTFU

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

http://www.coolskin.com/
    Pricy but have lasted 5+ years

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw on sky news this morning that the EU were looking to regulate oven gloves. Something about they were considering washing up gloves too but decided that would be unessacery… Now I was half asleep at the time so can’t be 100% I didn’t dream it as it does sound very odd.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Anyone remember what Smithy advised … ?

richc
    Free Member

How do you open the stove without touching the handle? They’re also needed for rearranging the logs when loading it.

You can touch the handle, just don’t grip it hard.

If you just use your fingertips and are quick it doesn’t burn you; or mine doesn’t and that’s what I do every day with mine and I’ve never burnt myself or ever heard of anyone needing gloves to open the door.

ourmaninthenorth

Nomex ones (individual gloves) or usually just a folded teal towel.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve never burnt myself or ever heard of anyone needing gloves to open the door.

Well if you’d like to come round later you can open the door of my Clearview so I can pop a couple more logs in.

[not all stoves are the same]

cbike
    Free Member

😯 What Kind of Forks to stick in my eyes?

muzzle
    Free Member

I only opened this thread to say Joy Division Oven Gloves, but I’ve been beaten to it so I don’t think I’ll bother.

maccruiskeen

What Kind of Forks to stick in my eyes?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJ0iGZ7Ms8[/video]

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ovenglovestrackworld’ is closed to new replies.