Oven resolutely not getting over 170 degrees centigrade?

Home Forum Chat Forum Oven resolutely not getting over 170 degrees centigrade?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oven resolutely not getting over 170 degrees centigrade?
  • Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Checked your rubbers?

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Sorry. Seals around door, most likely attached to main body rather than door. Perished, split, detached?

matthew_h

Ah, gotcha. I’ll check them out then and have a look.

Premier Icon sweaman2
    Subscriber

Does it think it has achieved the requested temperature? Mine gives an audible beep when it hits the temperature. i.e If you set it to 200 does it claim to have made it to 200? If yes then faulty sensor or thermocouple.

If it doesn’t and so keeps on heating at full bore then faulty heat seal or similar.

Is it a Siemens?

matthew_h

Anyone have any idea why our oven seems to have suddenly decided to not get any hotter than 170 degrees centigrade regardless of what temp it is set at on the front? We noticed that it had stopped cooking things properly so bought one of those oven thermometers and it is definitely stuck at 170

Broken stat? Knackered element? Something else?

Cheers

matthew_h

It’s a cheapy POS, it came with the house. There is a light that goes off when it gets to temp, this is not happening. It seems to be heating up at normal speed but just stops at 170.

I’d say the thermostat is grubbed. You’ll get one for not a lot of cash, pretty easy to change on most ovens.

matthew_h

Nice one, I’ll have a look into that and try a replacement one.

Cheers

Element can still ‘partially’ work and not be open circuit, so possibly that. If you can see the element without dismantling, you may find and area that looks like a small bunch of grapes where it has blown open.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

I’d say a blown element. That is generally what goes wrong with them. Either one has partially gone or one has blown and there is another that hasn’t got enough oomph. They are cheap and usually easy to replace.

andyl

+1 on element.

thermostat would normally either trip early (lighr would go off) or not trip (oven would overheat).

Probably about £30-40 for a new one but if it’s a cheap POS then I’d just replace it with a nicer fan oven with timer etc. Can pick them up very cheap.

gears_suck

sweaman2 – Member
    Does it think it has achieved the requested temperature? If yes then faulty sensor or thermocouple.

Electric ovens do not have a thermocouple. That would only be present in a gas oven.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oven resolutely not getting over 170 degrees centigrade?’ is closed to new replies.