Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Oval rings for road
  • DT78
    Free Member

Need new chainrings for my force chain set, tempted to try out oval rings

Any users on here? How did you get on with them?

Been reading up about rotor q rings, but don’t really like the look, suppose I could spray them black. Any other brands to look at?

akira

Have a look at absolute black. Make sure you buy the chainring bolts though as they are a bit thick, also they’re t30 so don’t use a T25 and then complain that it’s a dreadful fit only for them to direct you to the fitting instructions…😀

13thfloormonk

Yeah, put one on my single ring CX bike, as much for possible traction benefits as anything.

I convinced myself that pedalling felt somehow ‘smoother’ and since I have quite grumpy knees at the moment figured ‘why not’and got an Absolute Black inner ring for road bike. Can’t honestly say I noticed the same improvement in pedalling, maybe because bike has mostly sat on turbo, or maybe because I’m typically pushing bigger gears on the road bike.

Overall a no-score draw I would say, nice bits of kit though and satisfied my curiosity.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yes. Rotor, Doval and Superstar single rings. No difference in power but my legs feel less tired in comparison to round rings.
    Don’t care if it’s a placebo or not.

DT78
    Free Member

hmm anyone use a dual ring setup? is it a bit more difficult shifting?

I currently have a compact so thinking it maybe a good opportunity to up to a semi

akira

Dual ring absolute blacks. The shifting isn’t as good as round rings and is a bit more finicky to set up but after some fiddling I’m happy enough with it.

convert

Same with the rotor ring I have – a bit more fiddly to both setup and use but perfectly doable.

I bought them for my dodgy hip/knee combo. I’d say smoother and less stress going over dead top. But it is pretty marginal.

Trying to find a steel oval ring for rohloff bike at the moment.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I should’ve been clearer; only the Superstar is a single ring. All others were doubles. No issues shifting just make sure you set the front derailleur height correctly.

boxelder

I’m using 48/32 Absolute Black Sub Compact and love them for riding round the Lakes. If I avoid the passes, I stay in the 48 with 11-30 cassette and can then can sit and pedal the passes on the 32. As an MTBer of almost half a century, rather than a young roadie, I wouldn’t go back. Smoother pedal action and no deterioration in shifting.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I used Rotor 36/50 when I ran two rings. 36 was a std oval, 50 was QXL.

I still have them actually, if you’re interested. Now on 1×11 on a 42t QCX1 NW.

lunge

I used Absolute Black for a while. Made no difference to me whatsoever, no quicker or slower according to Strava, no difference in perceived effort or fatigue, just nothing. Now back on round rings as the shifting is better.

Related, if someone wants a pair or 36/52 to match Ultegra 6800 cranks then talk to me…

trumpton
    Free Member

what’s the point of bio pace then. I haven’t got a clue why it is a funny shape.

DezB
    Free Member

what’s the point of bio pace then

Not the same thing.

I bought Absolute Black oval rings when my Dura Ace needed replacing. They look funky and pedaling uphill on the 50 (I think it’s a 50) feels smoother. Haven’t noticed any shifting issues, but then I hardly use the small ring. They were slightly cheaper than Shimano, so feel like I made a damn good purchase.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s a personal thing. I run one on my MTB and there are no downsides so may as well run then on the basis as if there are any upsides you might as well benefit from them, even if you don’t feel the benefit. Lets face it…people wouldn’t think twice about shaving 200g off their bike weight…they won’t feel it, peoples bodyweight varies more than 200g through the day, but would take if if they could. Similar thing here. I would run on my road bike, but I run a crank arm power meter and the ovality screws up the power readings.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’m trying to find a Doval-alike for 130bcd if anyone can recommend a cheaper brand than Rotor, AB, etc…?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Oval rings for road’ is closed to new replies.