Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Oval NW chainring, direct mount & steel
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Does anyone make such a thing, or is this chainring-on-a-stick wishful thinking?

It seems only alu ones exist??

EDIT: Actually, it doesn’t have to be NW as it’s for single-speed mincing

Northwind

I’ve seen steel round ones I think (SRAM) but not oval

Rubber_Buccaneer

Well it isn’t exactly direct mount but maybe there is a ‘new’ standard for you

http://singletrackworld.com/2016/07/wolf-tooth-announce-new-chainring-standard/

RobHilton
    Free Member

So there are different kinds of direct mount by manufacturer? :/

Happens it is SRAM. 34T ideal – just fancy trying an oval one, maybe I’ll have to go for ali – it probly won’t explode.

stevied
    Free Member
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Well it isn’t exactly direct mount but maybe there is a ‘new’ standard for you

http://singletrackworld.com/2016/07/wolf-tooth-announce-new-chainring-standard/

Oh Jesus! I just put together a NOS frame from 2010 – I can’t cope with anything more recent than that 😆

Rubber_Buccaneer

But it may be just what you want if they do an oval stainless to go on a SRAM direct mount carrier…..

RobHilton
    Free Member

Think you’re right there RB. I like the spiderless for a touch of weight saving, but seeing as I’m after steel over aluminum that might be a bit redundant.

Cheers for the info guys.

2tyred

I couldn’t find one, went for an AbsoluteBlack instead.

Almost made one though – manage to bend a round alu N/W when a bolt popped and I didn’t notice, so replaced that with a Surly stainless (round one). Lost another bolt, didn’t notice for a couple of rides but when I did, I couldn’t put the bolt back in, as the ring had deformed and the hole didn’t line up any more. Realised the ring was turning itself into an oval, so bashed it back into shape and ordered an oval one. Fitted it and raced the British XC the other week, I’d love to say it felt amazing, just felt normal.

Round ones were 34T, the oval’s 36. I’m SS as well, I figure N/W isn’t a big deal. If the chain’s coming off then more likely the tension’s not right.

oink1
    Free Member

So there are different kinds of direct mount by manufacturer? :/

Happens it is SRAM. 34T ideal – just fancy trying an oval one, maybe I’ll have to go for ali – it probly won’t explode.

Did the OP never try Biopace the first time round? Didn’t work then either! 😆

RobHilton
    Free Member

Did the OP never try Biopace the first time round?

I’m younger than I look 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Oval NW chainring, direct mount & steel’ is closed to new replies.