Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Outsmarted by a manual lever operated winch!
  • Northwind

Inherited one of these…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marksman-2-Ton-Hand-Winch-Puller-Boat-Trailer-or-Car-66102C-/271099677533

And do you think I can figure out how to release the cable? There’s what seems to be a button/catch at one end but I can’t get it to do anything useful. Anyone familiar with these?

itstig

Here’s what to do, inside the handle you should see a tension spring about 30 mm long one end is fixed the other, attached to the ratchet, is in a slotted tab. Slide the spring to the opposite end of the slot. the ratchet should now be pulled from the teeth allowing you to release the cable. This detail is never mentioned in any instructions and I’m sure it is why they are hardly ever used

Marko

I have one exactly the same.

You need to take up just enough tension (assuming you have a load on the end) to lift the stop ‘tooth’ out from the teeth of the spool. Next you lower the handle and allow the stop to drop into the teeth of the spool. Repeat the procedure until there is no tension on the cable.

Frankly they are a bit crap – mine was used to haul dead cars up a slope into the garage.

** Warning **. It is possible to release the cable with a load on the end if you are clever/stupid. Watch your fingers.

Marko

Northwind

Thanks folks! Will give that a crack and see how much damage I can cause. I’m not usually a mechanical incompetent 😳

Marko – Member

Frankly they are a bit crap – mine was used to haul dead cars up a slope into the garage.

Yeah, that’s pretty much exactly the job here! Don’t think I’ll use it very often but just now it’ll be handy, my driveway’s just slightly too slopey for pushing the car to be a good option.

Northwind

I would never in a million years have figured that out- cheers folks! Winchin like a boss now. Actively looking for things to winch. As soon as I fix the car I’m going to drive it into a ditch.

maccruiskeen

As soon as I fix the car I’m going to drive it into a ditch.

Awaits pics

andybach
    Free Member

Good for tightening wire sheep fencing – if u do that kind of thing – or for winching down “hung-up” trees …… I miss my old job!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Outsmarted by a manual lever operated winch!’ is closed to new replies.