Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Outsidelightrackworld?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Following on from my wild boar question (FAC in the post) what’s a good outside light, I’m thinking as bright as possible, mounted high up and capable of illuminating a 40ft garden as if it was daylight!

What am I looking for?

z1ppy

500w halogen or whatever equivalent LED unit available. Our 120w struggles at the top end of our 20ft garden

footflaps

500W Halogen, £5.95 on ToolStation.

Edit: Heatwise daylight can be up to 2KW / m2 so you’d need a lot of power to get close!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d quite like something with the power of my two dealextreme p7’s on full beam but as a flood, does such a thing exist? Trout do you fancy building such a beast??

trout
    Free Member

Pretty easy. to build one when I get home I will post up a pic of my outside light. hastily knocked up when the halogen blew

MrNutt
    Free Member

Cheers, looking forwards to seeing it

trout
    Free Member

outside light 6 XPG leds while it does not light up the garden like daylight its plenty bright enough in the half that matters

2 of em would do the whole garden or use 6 XMLs

power consumption is about 18 watts

Gary_M
    Free Member

wow, thats very neat. Want!

footflaps

So when do they start shipping then Trout?

trout
    Free Member

The light itself is this extrusion and cover
    http://www.led-tech.de/en/Aluminium-Profiles/CoverLine-LED-Profile-c_188_151.html

I have a Maxflex driver and 16 volt wall wart to power it but looking on the ledtech site there may be better driving solutions available .

Chuck 6 XMLs in that extrusion and power it with one of these

http://www.led-tech.de/en/Aluminium-Profiles/CoverLine-LED-Profile-c_188_151.html

will be around 4200 lumens and about 40 watts power consumption

Sui
    Free Member

Trout, when are you going to start making some GU10’s with decent LED’s that actually work (as opposed to companies that have gone bust due to shoddy reliability)

trout
    Free Member

Problem with these GU type led fittings is getting rid of the heat before it kills the leds . and as they are in ceilings dont get a good air flow

so they use low power leds underdriven

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Outsidelightrackworld?’ is closed to new replies.