Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Outer bearing race stuck in a DMR Vault pedal
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Bearing disintegrated whilst riding, resulting in the the outer bearing race stuck in an otherwise OK pedal. Tried a few things to get it out including an EZ out, but it’s not shifting. Emailed DMR a couple of times but they don’t seem interested in providing any advice.
    Savable?
    Bought some Nanos as replacements, but they’re just not as good as the Vaults.

RustyMac

do you have access to a dremel, pad saw or junior hack saw?

Carefully cut 2 slots accross the width of the outer race without cutting into the pedal body and the race should be able to be pried out if it does not fall out.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Got a dremmel, what bit should I use?

RustyMac

Any kind of cutting/grinding bit should do, what you want to do is grind/cut through the bit of race that is stuck in the pedal body without damaging the pedal body.

If you do 2 cuts then you should be able to remove the sections as they will now be smaller than the id of the pedal body and no longer an interferance fit.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ll give it a go

simmy
    Free Member

This happened to me and I tried everything to get the outer race out and ended up wrecking the pedal and having to buy a new set.

I’ve one spare pedal now just in case…….. 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is there any lip exposed behind the race? If so, an expandable bolt might tighten up behind it and give you something to bray on.

guitarhero
    Free Member

simmy, what side you got spare 😉
    Onzadog, nothing to get a grip off unfortunately.
    I’ll be gutted if I can’t fix it, I’ve already wrecked a set of Point One Podiums this year, this will bring my annual pedal bill to unacceptable levels.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

with the spindle out can you not knock it out from the “inside” with a thin drift (even something like a spoke might be stiff enough as its got nowhere to bend)?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Success.
    Used the Dremmel to cut two opposing ridges, then wedged an Ice Toolz chainring tool in and screwed it out. New bearing fitted and running smooth. Cheers all.

RustyMac

Win 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Outer bearing race stuck in a DMR Vault pedal’ is closed to new replies.