Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Outdooractive free ride is OVER
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Just logged into to outdooractive and my maps have all disappeared. I’d enjoyed full access to whole UK since the transition from viewranger, despite only having bought maybe a hundred or so tiles. Anyone else the same?

All my bought tiles have apparently disappeared so thinking of just starting again from scratch with OS maps

frogstomp

Seems OK to me, although I had whole region maps. You should still have access to the tiles you paid for previously. Probably worth dropping them an email – they may reinstate them for you.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The cloud is just someone else’s computer they can turn it off at any time. Keep your own copy of the data. Perfect example of “buying something forever*” * forever is as long as company X wants..

DickBarton

If you’ve bought tiles then surely you’d be pushing to retain access to those? It all adds up and all that…

sherpachris

I suddenly lost access to OS maps last week, seems my original Viewranger account was under one email address and I had 2 Outdooractive accounts which were linked in some way? I must say as much as I hate Outdooractive compared to Viewranger one email to customer service got the issue sorted out very quickly without any fuss and I have OS again. Just need to convince them to reinstate open cycle maps now.

thenorthwind

I believe Outdooractive will give you free OS maps with offline access if you ask them, and if they haven’t already.

I’m in the same situation. My free Pro+ time expired last week, and I got another 10 days free which expired today. I’d reluctantly pay for Pro (~£30 a year) but that doesn’t include Harvey maps, and Pro+ is about £55.

zilog6128

All my bought tiles have apparently disappeared so thinking of just starting again from scratch with OS maps

Viewranger was great, but having used the OS maps app for a year, grudgingly moved over to OA – it’s way better (than OS)

Have you done this?
    https://www.outdooractive.com/en/viewranger-map-agreement.html

franksinatra

Whislt there is no doubt that the app is not as user friendly as Viewranger, you cannot fault their support team. I deal with them quite a bit as I am admin to a user group of 50 users (all transitioned from Viewranger). I get a near immediate response to every query I raise, always resolved first time.

thenorthwind

I contacted their support team quite a bit when I moved over to OA in an attempt to engage a bit more positively with it instead of just bemoaning the loss of VR. They’ve always been fairly prompt and polite in replying, but their responses have often been quite lacking… a few issues I’ve had they’ve just denied occur, which is unhelpful and quite frustrating. Maybe as a representative of a big group of users (MR?) they pay a bit more attention to you… I just felt like an annoyance.

thenorthwind

I seemed to have lost access and contacted support. Turns out as ex-VR users, we don’t access OS maps via the “Topo” option as with Pro but a separate “OS” option with a generic folded map icon, further down the maps list.

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep, there is a separate set of legacy maps for ex viewranger users. Not as good as pro+ (or viewranger) but not terrible. You can download for offline use too.

Marko

I’m getting nagged to upgrade to ‘Pro’.

OS and IGN maps are still there, but every other option is now greyed out and not available. Not a problem as I only use OS and IGN anyway.

frogstomp

You can download for offline use too.

Have you tried this recently? I’m ex-VR and can see the OS maps but can’t download them for offline use (just prompts me to upgrade to Pro).

thenorthwind

Just tried downloading and it seems to work for me in the normal way.

…which is to say, it downloads fine but will presumably disappear at some point soon. This is a point of contention for me with OA: it seems to keep downloaded maps for a matter of days, and then they disappear into the ether, meaning every single time I go out I have to download maps again, rather than knowing that I have maps for the areas I use most permanently stored, as per VR. OA support denied this issue exists.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you tried this recently? I’m ex-VR and can see the OS maps but can’t download them for offline use (just prompts me to upgrade to Pro).

Yep, just tried it. Download icon on the top right of the screen when the map is open. Only one area at a time, and you need to remember to do it before heading out so not as good as viewranger, but functional.

nickjb
    Free Member

This is a point of contention for me with OA: it seems to keep downloaded maps for a matter of days, and then they disappear into the ether,

Mine show up under “MyPage/Downloads”. I only have a couple and I’ve only been non pro for a few weeks so will see how it goes but I still have a download from 3 weeks ago.

I agree it a major step down from viewranger, go anywhere and I knew exactly what maps I have on my phone

frogstomp

Yep, just tried it. Download icon on the top right of the screen when the map is open.

Odd, doesn’t work for me.. might drop them an email. Just to confirm – you are a standard (i.e. non-Pro/Pro+) user?

Poopscoop

I just got an email saying my Pro membership has expired, never even knew I had it!lol

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.