Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Outdoor Lighting Question
  • Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hi all.

Question for all you leccy experts. I currently have an outdoor light at the back of the house (crappy thing on a movement sensor). I want to have 2 LED lights at the back of the house and one down the side passage which come on when it gets dark for a few hours and then go off but still be motion triggered.

a) can I run a setup like that from the wiring of the current single light?
    b) assume I can get a sensor that means I can run that to control the lights (so the lights I get don’t have to have built in sensors)?
    c) any wiring diagrams I can peruse?

Cheers, DBW

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

Not a leccy but you can certainly switch a number of lights from one sensor (as long as you don’t exceed the rated output of the sensor) as I’ve done it before.

Not sure if there’s a sensor that comes on at dusk AND does motion sensing though (I have actually done this recently but using a Raspberry Pi to wirelessly switch the lights on a variable schedule, according to sunset time, and using an IR motion sensor).

Premier Icon djflexure
    Free Member

I have a number of the mpow solar security lights from Amazon

do the job you describe with no need to wire

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Do they actually chuck any light out though? All the solar lights I’ve experienced in the past have been pretty much disposable after a winter and don’t chuck out anywhere near enough light…

Premier Icon djflexure
    Free Member

The 100+ led one works fine on the garage to illuminate the drive. You can set it on low after dusk then up to full once pir activated

i have the smaller ones on fence posts down the side and they work fine for me

have a mid sized one on patio and shed

amazon are are decent with returns if it’s not bright enough

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Might take a look then. Got any links to the ones on Amazon you’ve used?

Premier Icon oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Fit a fused spur above the switch wiith a built in RCD (about 12 quid on flea bay) then wire your LED lights from there – 10 LED lights will only be 40 watts so no real additional load.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I have a set up whereby I have two lights wired together (one on the front of the house which juts out then one down the side to the front door). Each light has a separate PIR (I got separate units in order to allow me to wire it all properly). So now either PIR triggers *both* lights so both lights are triggered either when coming home *or* leaving the house.

Premier Icon dyls
    Free Member

Be careful with sensors as cats and wildlife can set it off, especially if your lights are pointing or lighting towards other houses as well.

Premier Icon mau00149
    Free Member

got a bunch of these round the house. They use 2No 18650 cells which you can always top up if in a shady areas, only had to do it on one which is located under a gutter on the north side of the house. Couple of different setting for motion activation/low light all night. Went for them for ease of use and install. Seems pretty robust and produce plenty light. They do smaller versions as well which can be handy for paths etc

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7dayshop-large-54-led-outdoor-waterproof-garden-pir-motion-sensor-solar-recharged-security-3-mode-led-wall-light-ds-305

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Interested in those pir solar lights – any info re real world charging on north facing walls?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Outdoor Lighting Question’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.