Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Outdoor Dog washing station – help
  • djflexure

Any of you found a way to get a hot/cold mixer working outdoors that does not freeze?

I have hot and cold standpipes plumbed to a (indoor) shower mixer. This was just a temporary measure. I have replaced one unit when it burst.

Now planning to do a proper job. Any aesthetically pleasing suggestions?

Build around and lag or give in and bring back to the house wall for shelter/heat?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just looking at this myself. Looks like I’ll be fitting a Woodford frost proof outdoor mixer tap. However, they’re not thermostatic mixers and they’re limited to 120℉.

So, my plan is to fit a TMV under the sink which will feed the hot side of the mixer thereby limiting the maximum hot temperature. I can then turn this down further via the TMV or bring in some cold via the mixer tap depending on what I’m washing.

Sui
    Free Member

you need a constant source hot water feed, but for that you need a constant hot water source set up.  I learnt this today looking at some barrier pipe specs.. everyday is a school day.

or, and i know this is bodge, but can you not run a feed of the show inside, maybe an electric one to a tap through the wall?  I get you’d have to go in and turn it on, but at least it wont freeze.

theotherjonv

Erm…… its a dog. Cold hosepipe and lump it?

(Disclaimer….. ours is small enough to carry into the bathroom and she has a proper warm shower, or if the wife’s had a bath, her left over bath water. She then growls at the water as it goes down the plug – the dog not the wife)

djflexure

If I understand it correctly I need to set up the Woodford on the house so that the recessed valves are kept warm.

My hot and cold lagged standpipes are in the garden, a few metres from the house.

Perhaps we should have run an outlet from a mixer to the tap but at present we have hot and cold running underground to the standpipes.

‘Cold hosepipe’ – how can you call yourself a dog lover 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

How about fitting a valve/tap on the pipe before it goes outside so when it’s cold you can shut it off Inside turn on outside and empty the pipes?

That way it shouldn’t freeze and you only need to faff when it is properly cold and just leave it open the rest of the year.

djflexure

There might even be a shutoff valve already. Think it supplies outdoor standpipes and utility sink<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> – scuttles off to check.</span>

bodgy
    Free Member

This might be a silly suggestion, but for a dog wash it just has to be ‘not cold’ rather than immediately adjustable? Just put the mixer inside the house and have a pipe for mixed the tepid water going through the wall?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Outdoor Dog washing station – help’ is closed to new replies.