Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Outbound lights, any experience?
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

One reason and another I’m looking for a new light. It’s to replace a maxx d that I was happy with and I’m half way to just replacing with the same but as I’m having to buy new anyhow I’m also tempted by something different.

I’ve seen the outbound lighting one and like the looks of it, head unit directly over stem is a bit of bonus – I’m not sure it actually makes any odds but I think it should, and that’s enough. Usb c is definitely a selling point over the exposure only one.
    Cost is about the same after shipping and taxes.

Plenty of waffle on their site about beam patterns and the like and how they throttle the brightness and why – they’re actually quite coy about the lumens/lux which in of its self suggests to me it’s been done properly instead of just slapping brighter leds in and putting 10 billion lumens!!!!!! in big bold letters on the product description.

So before I part with my hard earned, has anyone actually used one or seen one in use

fossy

I’ve seen their offerings via MTBR forum and they do look really well designed. They seem to have worldwide shipping sorted, and would hope you don’t get stung on import duties (seems it’s fully inclusive price).

tomnavman
    Free Member

If you haven’t heard it, theres a really good episode of the downtime podcast with the founder of Outbound lights – very interesting and techy enough to seem like he really knows his stuff (a lot of background working for the LED manufacturers)

I’ve not dealt with them, but they are top of my list for when I eventually need to replace my Exposure lights.

rootes1

Yep have their downhill evo package and had their previous bar light.

I like that they are all in one (though both can take additional in from usb powerbank). The bar light in particular is excellent and has a really good light spread.

helmet light is pretty good, though on full power battery does not last quite as long as you would like.

the adaptive mode does work.

not sure now they are doing tax etc plus exchange rate they are so attractive though.

if you do order. Get some extra bar mount brackets and also the cable gatherer

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If you haven’t heard it, theres a really good episode of the downtime podcast with the founder of Outbound lights

Oh might have to have a look for that ta. Certainly the blurb on the site makes it sound like they know what they’re doing and why instead of just following the ever brighter path, it’s half the reason I’m intrigued to try them to be honest.

They seem to have worldwide shipping sorted, and would hope you don’t get stung on import duties (seems it’s fully inclusive price).

Yeah, that’s also a bonus though not wholly uncommon for US companies as the shippers tend to deal with it a lot due to interstate sales.

also the cable gatherer

Is it bad that little bit of plastic is the most exciting thing about the whole package? 😂

rootes1

^ I ordered before they sorted their worldwide shipping out and didn’t pay anything on arrival. Clearly they are doing things upfront now.

jeffl

Lumens aren’t really hidden. If you expand the specification section it tells you (2,200).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Lumens aren’t really hidden. If you expand the specification section it tells you (2,200).

That’s true and if they were completely hidden I might be more sceptical that there was something to hide.
    That it’s not the headline though makes it seem at least, that they’ve thought about it from a different perspective.

rootes1

For the bar light the quality of the light is really good. Very wide even spread of light with slight increase in brightness on the centre.

thisnwas a failing for me of their older light. The slight was very even everywhere and always felt it needed to be a bit more intense in the centre. The evo fixes that.

Whydot

I’ve got the helmet light, really impressed with it. Seems to have a lot more usable light than the lumens would suggest if that makes sense.

rootes1

@whydot

agree they are quality units and not just ‘lumen chasing’

jrdubya

Excellent lights, I’ve got the new bar and helmet light and they are a great pair. Absolutely solid, bright, good mounts. Have used exposure/hope and various others before, none were as good. Really nice guys too!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well I guess that’s me £££ poorer then 😂

jkomo

I’d be reluctant to spend Exposure money on anything not exposure especially given their incredible customer service and repairs etc.
    I am risk averse though, so good on you for trying new things.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

so good on you for trying new things.

The phrase you’re looking for is “getting bored easily” 😉

andyrm
    Free Member

Got the trail evo (bar) and hangover (helmet). As others have said, very very good. Better than my old Exposure 6 Pack in terms of beam pattern/useable light and also way, way better than my Magicshine 6500. I like the way it’s an all in one with no battery pack/cables, and there’s definitely something in their way of doing things that has merit as they’re “more powerful” for less lumens. Or maybe the lumen chasing trend is a bit of a misnomer.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d be reluctant to spend Exposure money on anything not exposure especially given their incredible customer service and repairs etc.

I think that’s what would worry me tbh. I listened to the guy on the Downtime podcast a while back and he sounds convincingly engaged with the specifics of bike lighting and has an interesting angle on a lot of stuff that hadn’t really occurred to me before now… but the idea of having to return a faulty item to the States doesn’t really appeal. It’s a shame they don’t have a UK distributor.

slowmover

Haven’t tried the lights though so cannot comment on the real world experience of these lights in UK conditions with a group of cycling mates. If someone has a Monteer 8000 it is probably going to be brighter than an Outbound light system but also heavier and possibly overkill.

the Outbound lights are worth a punt in my view if only for the bragging rights.

I would suggest buying the combo because UK residents cannot buy less than £135 pounds worth of lights from the website as of December 2022 according to an email I received from the friendly outbound admin person.

mr spicy
    Free Member

On my second winter running the outbound bar and helmet light combo. I am very pleased with these and as others suggested, it is more about the beam quality rather than the amount of lumens. The bar mounted light has a nice spread beam with the helmet light being extremely good at lighting the area of focus.

There are another x4 mates in the club that also have them, so far, everyone seems pleased.

My only niggle was linked to the bar mounting unit which cracked easily. Outbound where swift to replace it free of charge and the spare unit they sent had been re-designed. They Outbound team were very responsive and friendly, so top marks from me.

bornonaboat

In a similar vein of lights that are well designed, don’t have “china” power claims and come with everything that you need in the box including spare optics to change the beam pattern the Gloworm XSV is currently on a great deal on Wiggle at £189.

Yes it’s a separate battery pack but easy to strap it to your top tube using the short cable and the wireless remote means easy changing of power levels.

Also Wiggle so no hassle returns if any issues. Mine needed a software update when I first got them and have been rock solid since.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gloworm-xsv-lightset-g20

tomnavman
    Free Member

Outbound are significantly cheaper than Exposure (but still not cheap)

Evo Downhill package = £428 delivered

Exposure equivalent (Maxx D & Diablo, non sync) = £395 + £220 = £615

cp

In fairness you can easily (SDJ sports), get the maxxd for 272 and the diablo for 160 so about 432.

I’d still go for the Outbound set up though as I’m not a fan of Exposure (propietary charger, not a fan of the mount, and the only light I’ve ever had to get repaired was an exposure – wasn’t that cheap as an out of warranty repair).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Gloworm XSV is currently on a great deal on Wiggle

I’ve an older gloworm already and it’s a really nice light though largely used on my helmet these days as the separate battery pack won’t stay put on my tapered top tube.

If I was happy with a separate head and battery or would certainly be on the list.

They Outbound team were very responsive and friendly, so top marks from me.

Good to hear.

Exposure equivalent (Maxx D & Diablo, non sync) = £395 + £220 = £615

A bit of shopping “around” brings that to £435 ish (though I’m guessing last year’s models)

cp

(though I’m guessing last year’s models)

SDJ prices are current models

spannermonkey

During covid, with no bikes available that i liked, I put my Exposure Maxx-D and Diablo through my Cycle to work scheme

rootes1

One thing I have noticed about the helmet light is that I find it quite sensitive to position on helmet. It sort of lends itself to nearer the front, but I found that if mounted there you become more conscious of its albeit small weight.

Mounting it more central helps, but less low branch clearance.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Mounting it more central helps, but less low branch clearance.

At 6’4″ I don’t have much of that to spare!

In my specific case I’ll be sticking with my Diablo on my helmet – ain’t broke, don’t fix it – I wouldn’t be looking to replace the maxx d were it not in a van in a scrappy a few thousand miles away, but it is, so here we are.

rootes1

yer 6’5″ here so know all about clearance as well!

mounting on top also leads to a more ‘Teletubby’ vibe…

Yer Diablo spreads the weight out.

cp

were it not in a van in a scrappy a few thousand miles away, but it is, so here we are.

bugger! Still, good excuse for shiny stuff 🙂

jrdubya

I’ve tried a couple of mounting positions for the hangover. It’s now almost hanging over the peak so it doesn’t interfere with my coat hood and the weight isn’t noticeable to me. Using a go pro mount means you can stick it anywhere on your helmet of course.

rootes1

Just as an update on order value and shipping to UK. I just received a couple of spare handlebars mounts, which was a low value order and no trouble ordering.

delivery has taken about 2 weeks. find USPS is very variable for delivery times from days to weeks.

explorerboy

I’ve been looking into these as the weekly night rides are getting darker towards the end. Currently running  an older (second hand) Exposure Diablo on the helmet and considered upgrading my Chinese bar lights to a Maxx D.

Bit concerned about run times/brightness as night rides generally run about 3hrs and the most of  the other riders run the absolute cannon torch in the Exposure 6-Pack.

anything for me to worry about??

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I run mine on adaptive and not had any trouble at all but I turn off off when I stop, down when I’m on fire road etc, however I did the same with my maxx d and it was similarly in need of a charge after the same rides.

That said it’ll depend on what you’re used to and if the people you’re riding with are running on retina burn permanently in which case you’ll be wanting to turn yours up so you can see/compete.

a cheap usb c power bank and a velcro strap will extend the life significantly if needed though I’ve not bothered as yet.

I’ve zero complaints so far certainly.

BadlyWiredDog

anything for me to worry about??

As I posted 7 months ago, what would worry me is the prospect of having to return them to the US if there were a warranty or out of warranty repair issue. Of course that might not happen, but it has potential to be expensive, slow and annoying. I know that’s kind of obvious, but I’d be factoring in the possibility as a negative vis a vis a UK company. I would at least look into the warranty/returns situation before buying.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I’ve had my Trail evo for about 12 months and it’s been outstanding. It replaced my Troute Darkness dominator and despite not having as many lumens it’s a better unit. I’m eagerly looking forward to their new hangover replacement which is coming soon as the battery life of the hang over was a bit borderline for me. I think it’s important to note they do a lot of work on thermal design to insure it maintains it’s output for it’s full burn time, not throttling back like a lot of stuff does as they get warm.

With regards to warranty and back up I too was conscious of the fact that it’s a stateside product but honestly, after speaking with the Tom I had no worries at all. They were super quick to send me out an additional mount I needed and if you message them on their Facebook page they reply super fast. It’s a small company so you’ll most likely be dealing with someone who really knows their stuff (ie the owner Tom) rather than someone who works for an importer.

Battery life seems bang on what they quote has been very accurate for me but my night rides tend to be maybe 1.5 hours max.

John

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I’m back to looking at the Detour after my Towild DL1800 decided yesterday to just stop charging, responding to the remote or button presses. Barely had it 6 months.
    It’s a real shame they don’t have a UK distributor because the taxes almost double the price of the light to the UK. That’s what’s putting me off at the moment but the problem is there really isn’t any comparable alternative available. The exposure ones aren’t really shaped beams as they can be used upside down so are symmetrical, the Lupine ones are about the price of a house and a lot of the others can’t be mounted under computer mounts where my lights sit. So right now it’s looking like I’ll have to go the detour route and swallow the cost.

As an aside the reason I “need” a light at this price is my commute is it pitch black country roads where being able to put all the power onto the road is really useful.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

As an aside the reason I “need” a light at this price is my commute is it pitch black country roads where being able to put all the power onto the road is really useful.

Oddly I turn my down as soon as I’m on those on my way home and just use a little knog thing – there’s something genuinely uplifting about the evening’s when I can turn them off entirely and just ride by moonlight, one upside of it being dark at 3pm I guess.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

The roads up here in Fife are so bad if I didn’t have a small sun pointing at the road I’d be over the bars in about 30s, appalling state, need the power just to pick out a less potholed route 🤣

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Aye, I can sympathise with that. Fortunately you get a lot more grip on pheasants and pigeons and they don’t move so much for a few candela.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.