Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Out of work? Short of cash?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why not fly to Dubai, drive a Lamborghini?

Oh, and get caught speeding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45119366

What an utter fin de cloche!

P-Jay
    Free Member

And also… full of shit. I’m amazed BBC Wales are trying to sell it as a hard luck story.

Anyway, as I understand he can simply order a replacement passport at the embassy as he hasn’t be detained by the local police / authorities.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure he will be at the airport on the way out….

It used to be a game in west cumbria for the locals to head up to Carlisle and take out the Imprezza WRX as a test drive, until somebody put it through a roundabout upside down.

Guess thats when you find out what you signed.

CountZero

He was caught doing 200 km/h but he didn’t know the laws over there,” he said.

I have scant sympathy, if you go to a foreign country, and plan on driving, the very least you do is check up on basic traffic laws like speed limits, especially in the middle-east!

Perhaps he could say he was drunk or stoned, and didn’t really understand what he was doing…

Squidlord
    Free Member

On the plus side, they’ve left him the car to play with.

leffeboy

So much info missing in this story, so few **** to give

dissonance

the very least you do is check up on basic traffic laws like speed limits

I would have a bit of sympathy if he was 10mph over the limit or something however I think it is pushing it a bit to try and claim effectively “I didnt think they had any speed limits”.

cornholio98
    Free Member

You have to be a bit thick to be caught going 200kph and then say that you didn’t know it was wrong…

on the plus side at least Boris won’t be posting any letters to try and help him….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Especially you only have to drive 30 mins out of Dubai to find yourself in the middle of a desert where you can drive how fast you want without getting caught speeding, well not by fixed cameras at least.

Not sure about getting the passport thing…he might be able to get a passport but as soon as he tries to leave the country they’ll have him, and he won’t have his entry stamp in the new passport so that will raise questions. He’s going to struggle to get out of this one.

tomhoward

Well I, for one, go straight out on holiday to Dubai to rag supercars when I’m out of work and short a bob or two. A couple of dozen traffic violations does me the world of good too…

not sure why more people don’t to be honest.

cornholio98
    Free Member

New passport, taxi to Abu Dhabi and try your luck there…

obviously if it goes wrong the £36k will look like a discount price…

tomhoward

He should start a gofundme Page. I’m sure folk will be falling over themselves to get him out of this tragic, unavoidable situation that is of no fault of his own, the poor love.

tomhoward

Anyway, as I understand he can simply order a replacement passport at the embassy as he hasn’t be detained by the local police / authorities.

According to to the article linked to in the bbc article (a uae newspaper) your traffic offences and due fines come up when you go through passport control.

He ain’t going nowhere fast now. Except maybe prison.

cornholio98
    Free Member

I once travelled with a guy who never bothered to get visas but just turned up with a wad of dollars…

it was amusing to see a border guard take a photo on a flip phone then upload it to his visa record.

I would not have the balls to try that..

onehundredthidiot

Aye and the posed “Oh this old watch.” pic on the article.

Hee-haw sympathy.

ElShalimo

Zero sympathy from me. What a numpty

He could get a job out there to work off his debt ‘cos he’s got nothing to do when he gets back here. Or maybe sell a kidney?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aye and the posed “Oh this old watch.” pic on the article.

😁

footflaps

Given they don’t write off debts in Dubai, wonder how long in prison he’ll get….

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dubai-jamie-harron-jailed-worse-holiday-laws-police-treatment-travel-uae-united-arab-emirates-a8016801.html

“The only way to describe being in prison in Dubai is hell. I was held for 22 months and I’ll never forget it – the stench, the dirt, the smell, the heat, and the lack of any information whatsoever.

I was punched, Tasered, beaten and raped. The worst of this abuse was perpetrated by the prison guards and police.”

I think I’d be selling, begging and borrowing everything I could to get that 35k if I was him.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I for one am hoping for an extended sentence under “aggravated Miami-Vice clothing” laws.

zilog6128

According to to the article linked to in the bbc article (a uae newspaper) your traffic offences and due fines come up when you go through passport control

except the article says it’s the hire company that’s been fined, not him as he’s a tourist, which is why the owner has (probably illegally) taken the guy’s passport.

tomhoward

As eluded to above, being in debt and unable to pay in Dubai is a much more serious crime than speeding.

Dickyboy

Can’t imagine there are too many 25yr old newport residents named  Farah Hashi…

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/gwentnews/9940105.Newport_student_who_threatened_to_set_home_alight_is_jailed/

martinhutch

He said he studies at Newport High School, harbours ambitions of becoming a scientist and picked diesel as he knew it was less flammable than petrol.

If he’d gone for a nice sensible diesel again like he did with his arson ‘attempt’, he would have stayed out of bother.

footflaps

I’m waiting for Boris Johnson to issue a statement saying he didn’t go to Dubai intending to speed, but to undermine the local political regime; or something equally helpful 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Out of work? Short of cash?’ is closed to new replies.