Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 319 total)
  • Our (level headed) MD saw a "ghost" last week!
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That makes no sense.

Just open your mind, it’ll all become clear.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What is the truth? Given that the observer changes the reality, none of us have any idea what the real truth is.

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

There is no proof to prove not?

you cannot prove a negative – that is if i make something up you cannot prove I did only that their is no evidence to support it. If you wish to sit on the fence about everything we cannot prove to be false then you have to believe in everything that is made up. its not the best way to find truth

the truth is nobody knows.

the truth is you are clutching at straws here

FWIW houdini insisted if anyone could escape death he could. he had a yearly seance and no one ever gave the code word he said he would use.

HHhhmmmm … the scientific approach can be rather irrational at times. If science is rational does it not require to take into account all the probabilities regardless or rationality?

Ya, science is rational but the people who apply scientific approach are unable to handle it. i.e. human brain is incapable of being rational no matter how you try. So in order to make it “rational” the parameters are narrowed down to areas of higher possibilities so that our brain can digest the information or to help us manage to information …

Yes, science … the reduction of possibilities.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

What is the truth? Given that the observer changes the reality, none of us have any idea what the real truth is.

Psuedo philosophical nonsense.

Does it matter? No.

Brilliant see that bike you think is yours well in my reality its mine now give it here sweetheart- it does not matter does it?

We all make our own world through the ways we each choose to react to stuff that happens to us and therefore each truth is as valid as the other.

No some is just utterly wrong, we section them when it goes to far from reality for example,so they are not at all equally valid

To openly deny someone of their own version of their truth/world is deeply disrespectful.

So I can never ever say someone is wrong – you are denying me my version of reality now and I find that deeply disrespectful …we have a contradiction already with this well thought out ethos

In an infinite Universe, there are an infinite number of possibilities, of which, we are one of them.

Yes like dude wow man that like so insightful dude.

The universe is not infinite, we are not possiblities but actualities [ we are real you know ] but lets not let facts get in the way here eh

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPUpKGI1Z4[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If science is rational does it not require to take into account all the probabilities regardless or rationality?

Rationality is linked to probability. If it’s highly improbable or statistically insignificant, it’s ignored as being an irrational viewpoint. Why would you still consider a possibility that has proven to be ridiculously low? Otherwise everything becomes potentially possible and nothing within science works.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes, science … the reduction of possibilities.

Of course it narrows possibilities as it is trying to remove the things that are wrong from the things that are right.
    Anything is possible even you make a coherent point or me using punctuation 😉

thepurist

What’s the spiritual explanation for the fact that none of this woo is repeatable or measurable under controlled conditions? Are ghosts scared of white coats? If so, why do they wear them!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Seriously science proves **** all.

If it exists in your mind then I think you’ll agree it exists.

Although if you’ve never opened your mind then you might struggle with this concept.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Actually I bet you could repeat it if you stuck some electrodes inside someones head and ran a current through part of their brain.

Although if you’ve never opened your mind then you might struggle with this concept.

No, I’ve just never taken acid. Yes, we might be a simulation inside an alien supercomputer but scientists hilariously, are testing that.

If it exists in your mind then I think you’ll agree it exists.

What kind of Matrix crap is this? If it exists in your brain but not outside of it then this is a hallucination. Matter outside of our brain exists. Unless that is, we are living in a simulation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

top trollin david but getting a bit obvious now

Bregante

The old pub (ex coach house) has seen 700 years worth of life and death. I think there’s a better chance of one of those spirits coming back to haunt it

To be fair there have been a few occasions when spirits have come back to haunt me after a night in an old pub.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What kind of Matrix crap is this? If it exists in your brain but not outside of it then this is a hallucination. Matter outside of our brain exists. Unless that is, we are living in a simulation.

Things exist to us cos we can see them or touch them or hear them etc.

So if you see or hear soemthing so vividly that you think it’s real then to you it exists. Even if no one else can see it!

Edit – Very good Bregante

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Things exist to us cos we can see them or touch them or hear them etc.

So if you see or hear soemthing so vividly that you think it’s real then to you it exists. Even if no one else can see it!

And they don’t stop existing if you are blind, deaf and have no sense of touch.

You have a very human centric view of the universe.

molgrips
    Free Member

We oy have our memories to go on. So how do you know if something you saw yesterday is not just a false memory? You don’t.

Anyway. What’s alll this about ‘sensing’ you are being watched? You can’t sense if someone is watching you. I watch people all the time, they never turn around. You sometimes realise someone is behind you when they make a noise or something but that is not the same.

So this ghostly sensing of being watched is clearly something else.

slackalice
    Free Member

You have a very human centric view of the universe.

. 😀

And our science isn’t?

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

We oy have our memories to go on. So how do you know if something you saw yesterday is not just a false memory? You don’t.

Is there such thing as memory?

What is it anyway? Can you touch it? Or is it merely an assumption of electric pulses?

🙄

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s all just glitches in the matrix.

Drac

What is it anyway? Can you touch it? Or is it merely an assumption of electric pulses?

Yes. A bunch of neurones structured together. Suppose you could touch it. Well yes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Yes. A bunch of neurones structured together. Suppose you could touch it. Well yes

Neurones? You can touch it? How? Are all neurones the same?

Are Neurones a bit like ghosts?

pussywillow
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what smart arse answer you come up with…you won’t know for sure till yer dead! 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Much of our science is not human centric. A proton is a proton wherever you are in the universe, and protons were still protons billions of years before humans ever existed.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Please tell me you’re drunk or on heavy medication?

Science has shown things to be almost certainly true before they were actually discoverer to be true. Many times over.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well you seem to recall how to type, english and this thread so i will go out on a limb here and suggest that there is such a thing as memory

chewkw
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member

Please tell me you’re drunk or on heavy medication?

Science has shown things to be almost certainly true before they were actually discoverer to be true. Many times over.

er … some parts are true but not all.

pussywillow – Member

Doesn’t matter what smart arse answer you come up with…you won’t know for sure till yer dead!

They all turn into carbon ash but too late …

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just measnt with regards to this thread.

They still havent managed to prove god doesnt exist though 😉

footflaps

I saw a documentary ‘ Ghost Busters.’ on Channel 4 a few years back. Seemed pretty convincing to me.

Never touched Marshed Mallows since….

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Well you seem to recall how to type, english and this thread so i will go out on a limb here and suggest that there is such a thing as memory

Well, that does not explain things …

If neurones are the same shouldn’t we agree with each other or think alike?

davidtaylforth – Member

I just measnt with regards to this thread.

They still havent managed to prove god doesnt exist though

Creator god does not exist so are science of knowing all.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ignoring the moving of the goalposts thinking differently does not mean we have “different neurons” but it does mean we are not identical- is this a surprise to you?
    You think everyone has different neurons rather than different patterns of neuronal connections your not a neuroscientist by any chance are you?

Ps those different patterns are typically called learning and memory

some parts are true but not all.

if this was not the case we would have no need for science as we would know everything already. this is not a surprise or weakness of science. What science is is the best method of finding these truths. It may take some time to get them all 😉

thepurist

Face, meet palm. And I’m out.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Stop talking science and give me a good ghost story someone please? My rational mind says it can’t be true but I still enjoy hearing them. I like those creepy photo’s like the one with the pilots. Behind someone you can see the face of an engineer who had been killed a few days before.

ron70
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    There is no proof to prove not?

you cannot prove a negative – that is if i make something up you cannot prove I did only that their is no evidence to support it. If you wish to sit on the fence about everything we cannot prove to be false then you have to believe in everything that is made up. its not the best way to find truth

the truth is nobody knows.

the truth is you are clutching at straws here

FWIW houdini insisted if anyone could escape death he could. he had a yearly seance and no one ever gave the code word he said he would use.

Ok,, I would have to say something inside me believes there is something that carries on after we die, some form of energy, my mind is open to all possibilities, who knows
    As for Houdini, who knows, maybe he went to a different realm or platue whatever it might be 😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ok,, I would have to say something inside me believes there is something that carries on after we die, some form of energy, my mind is open to all possibilities, who knows
    As for Houdini, who knows, maybe he went to a different realm or platue whatever it might be

On the other hand I’m at peace with there being nothing.

chewkw
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

Face, meet palm. And I’m out.

Well, we all have them but why are we so different? Explain. 🙄

You mean neurones have personality? That would be weird like having someone else in your head is it not?

Klunk
    Free Member

not a ghost story as such, but my father died back in march. The night he died my son had a dream about dad where he said “Goodbye” which woke him up immediately and he woke his girl friend to tell her about it. I rang him in the morning to tell him his grandad had died to which he replied “I know” and telling me about the dream. Though quite “spooky” my father was very ill and not expected to live much longer and with all that going on there’s probably no surprise something like that turning up in your subconscious.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chewkw, are you asking a serious question?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

When he got home his wife, who is some kind of spiritualist

I expect she hasn’t, at any time, had any influence on his state of mind at all…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No two neurones are exactly the same, all neurones react slightly differently to the same stimuli – even those within the same group. However, neuronal networks as a whole in all likelihood contribute more to personality than neurones themselves do.

You’re entering a complex field and the questions being asked are rather simplistic and silly.

And yes, memories exist. Like the contents of your hard drive exist. For example, MRI studies can now be undertaken to examine spatial memory and even make predictions.

ron70
    Free Member

On the other hand I’m at peace with there being nothing

That is good you are, because there might be nothing, and I would too be at piece with that 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Our (level headed) MD saw a "ghost" last week!’ is closed to new replies.