Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 319 total)
  • Our (level headed) MD saw a "ghost" last week!
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

He was alone in his first floor office after normal hours. He went to collect some documents from the printer. To do so, you have to walk past a large window. As he did so, he saw his own reflection and that of somebody standing behind him.

He quickly turned to see who it was but it, a ‘shadowy form’ disappeared down the front stairs. The MD followed it down in the reception area and searched the first floor offices. He found nothing and nobody.

Following this tale getting out, one of our sales engineers admitted to feeling an overwhelming sense of being watched by somebody close, behind him. He too was working alone one night in the first floor office. He was so shaken, he left and locked up without going to gents despite him being desperate for a pee.

When he got home his wife, who is some kind of spiritualist detected his unease. She “examined” him and said he’d been visited by the spirit of a caretaker who had died in the factory’s boiler room.

Woooooooooooooooh. Has anybody else had similar experiences.

molgrips
    Free Member

Our apparently (level headed) MD

miketually
    Free Member

Our (level headed) MD saw a “ghost” last week!

He didn’t.

Hope that helps.

jam-bo

Has anybody else had similar experiences?

yep. i’ve met lots of gullible idiots.

iolo
    Free Member

It’s quite possible.
    Who knows for sure what happens when you die.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are you talking about the Bike Brand Ghost? I’ve yet to see one in real life.

yunki
    Free Member

If you’ve ruled out drug use (it is mushroom season after all) then contact the funny farm..

penguinni

I was working night shift and we had some building work scheduled in an old studio. Work was to take place between 0100 and 0600 and the burly builders labourer type chap turned up and carted his drills and stuff up to the studio. About 15 minutes after he was due to start work he reappeared at reception, shared a cup of coffee with myself and a colleague and announced he was finished and headed home. Next day his boss informed me what had happened. Apparently as the chap began to drill into the thick wall the heavy soundproofed door to the studio opened. He assumed it was me or my colleague and went to the door. The door stayed open and the corridor was in darkness – meaning the PIR sensor hadnt activated the lights. He went back to work and immediatlely the temperature dropped to freezing – he said he could see his breath. At this point he put down his tools and came down to reception, had his coffee and went home. He never mentioned it to us but told his boss he would never go back to that building. Weeks later I spoke with him and he said he wasnt claiming to have seen a ghost -just stating exactlly what had happened

Why would a guy who works on building sites expose himself to ridicule?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

So he doesn’t have to go back to the place with the draught.

Drac

A door opens due to vibrations and the room goes cold shocker.

IanMunro
    Free Member

A couple of months ago a saw from my bedroom window a snow drift across the road. Wierdly it only occupied a few feet and everywhere else was just normal!, like some strange mini Artic blast.
    Knowing absolutely no one would believe me, I rushed downstairs to take a picture of it , but when I went outside it had completely evaporated!
    Now confused I stumbled up the stairs to look out the window again and noticed that the snow drift had now magically turned into the beam from the neighbours security light.
    Pretty spooky paranormal activity and in no way related from leaving the pub next door at 2am.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ghosts clearly do exist and because there’s a video on the internet

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BobA5ujHkvU[/video]

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If you’ve ruled out drug use (it is mushroom season after all) then contact the funny farm..

Why, lots and lots of people experience a hallucination once in their life. It’s when it becomes a common occurrence that it’s a problem, like seizures. Lot’s of people get them once in their life, few go on to develop full blown epilepsy.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are three possibilities.

1) Ghosts are real
    2) Our senses perceive things that make us thing we’re being watched or have seen a ghost
    3) Something in our brains makes us think we’ve seen a ghost.

I know which of these is least likely.

thepurist

The brain is a fantastic thing – for instance did you know that you actually only see a tiny area in focus at any one time, but your visual cortex and the surrounding areas are brilliant at filling in all the gaps in your sight and making a full image that you think you see, then identifying and tagging objects, colours, patterns and words in that image to help you make sense of what you’re looking it. In fact it’s so good at doing this job that it can get a bit carried away and tag a shape as something that it isn’t, thus making you think you’ve seen things that weren’t really there. Like ghosts.

jackthedog
    Free Member

A friend and I both “saw a ghost” when we were younger.

Long and protracted explanation as to what it was and how it came about, but basically I saw something completely inexplicable, didn’t believe my eyes and felt it was too foolish to mention. A few days later my mate mentioned she’d seen something weird happen that night but felt too foolish to mention it at the time. I was able to complete her sentence – we’d seen the same thing.

As we’re both relatively level headed human beings we’ve both shrugged it off as a thing that once happened that we have no explanation for. Boringly, for me “inexplicable” and “ghost” are not mutually inclusive. But the experience did make me sympathetic to people who claim to have seen a ghost.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The brain is a fantastic thing – for instance did you know that you actually only see a tiny area in focus at any one time, but your visual cortex and the surrounding areas are brilliant at filling in all the gaps in your sight and making a full image that you think you see, then identifying and tagging objects, colours, patterns and words in that image to help you make sense of what you’re looking it. In fact it’s so good at doing this job that it can get a bit carried away and tag a shape as something that it isn’t, thus making you think you’ve seen things that weren’t really there. Like ghosts.

Yup, your eyes and brain are always looking for movement above everything else. Why? It’s looking for potential threats within the environment.

I’m guessing parts of the visual cortex can get lit up for whatever reason, abnormal electrical activity etc causing people to see fuzzy forms.

Another topic that I am going to have to read up about.

chewkw
    Free Member

Off course there are ghosts / spirits / afterlife … 🙄

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When he got home his wife, who is some kind of spiritualist detected his unease. She “examined” him and said he’d been visited by the spirit of a caretaker who had died in the factory’s boiler room.

Sounds like a plot line from Scooby Doo.

yunki
    Free Member

Hold on a minute..

Did you say that he’s level-headed but that his wife is ‘some sort of spiritualist’?

Something doesn’t add up there

Haze

Love a few ghost stories before heading out on my solo night ride…

nealglover
    Free Member

Brilliant :mrgreen:

Junkyard
    Free Member

Has anybody else had similar experiences.

Yes many times as my mum used to drag me to mediums and spiritualists all the time when i was younger*

Genuine but wrong just like the religious.

Rhandi prize still available for anyone who can prove anything supernatural as it is all bobbins

* no she did not think i was possessed 😉

ron70
    Free Member

To all them that don’t believe, why couldn’t there be such things as ghosts or aliens? I appreciate that most people who say they’ve seen one probably haven’t but what makes the sceptics so damn sure that there is no such thing? There is no proof to prove not?
    I cannot judge myself cos I’ve never seen one but why do non believers think you have to be mad or something to believe, I honestly can’t say I’m a believer but then again I can’t say I don’t believe, the truth is nobody knows.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

To all them that don’t believe, why couldn’t there be such things as ghosts or aliens? I appreciate that most people who say they’ve seen one probably haven’t but what makes the sceptics so damn sure that there is no such thing? There is no proof to prove not?
    I cannot judge myself cos I’ve never seen one but why do non believers think you have to be mad or something to believe, I honestly can’t say I’m a believer but then again I can’t say I don’t believe, the truth is nobody knows.

Occam’s Razor.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s quite possible.
    Who knows for sure what happens when you die.

On that basis, elephants that turn orange and fly around in circles (but only when not being watched or recorded) are also quite possible. However, here in the real world where repeatable peer reviewed facts and solid evidence are the name of the game…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

As I’ve said before, mankind’s greatest gift is also sometimes its greatest downfall. Imagination.

nealglover
    Free Member

…. the truth is nobody knows.

But I’m still fairly happy to go out on a limb and say there’s no ghosts.

I’m not saying those that have “seen” them are liars* or that they are crazy.

They are just wrong.

(* apart from the mediums and spiritualists etc. they are just liars. Or crazy)

Junkyard
    Free Member

There is no proof to prove not?

you cannot prove a negative – that is if i make something up you cannot prove I did only that their is no evidence to support it. If you wish to sit on the fence about everything we cannot prove to be false then you have to believe in everything that is made up. its not the best way to find truth

the truth is nobody knows.

the truth is you are clutching at straws here

FWIW houdini insisted if anyone could escape death he could. he had a yearly seance and no one ever gave the code word he said he would use.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yup, I used to work in a haunted pub. It was a 14th Century (that’s the 1300’s) building so I guess there’s a good chance it was haunted.

One of the rooms at the old end was much damper and colder than all the others and that’s the room you could often sense someone watching you.

There was an old staircase next to this room that was locked at the bottom and the top, yet you’d often hear footsteps on it.

We’d sometimes get ghost fans staying over and they’d often take pictures of orbs flying about in the main dining room.

yunki
    Free Member

Whereas I’m more than happy to assert that believers are stark raving bonkers

TuckerUK
    Free Member

There is no proof to prove not?

Ron70, you got that £100,000 you owe me? I mean, you can’t prove you don’t owe it to me can you? 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

To all them that don’t believe, why couldn’t there be such things as ghosts or aliens?

Hmmm well you’re conflating two entirely different things into one question there – anyway.
    Ghosts: Before posing the question, first you’ve got to define what a ghost is. Once you’ve done that, come back with what a ghost is, then will be in a better position to debate if they exist or not.
    Aliens: Quite possibly exist, but if they do, slightly odd that they always seem only visit people in Arkansas and fly about in spaceships that resemble whatever popular society currently thinks spaceships should look like.

Drac

Yup, I used to work in a haunted pub. It was a 14th Century (that’s the 1300’s) building so I guess there’s a good chance it was haunted.

Same chance as a pub built yesterday. No chance.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Same chance as a pub built yesterday. No chance.

Unless the pub build yesterday was built on an old cemetery or something, then I can’t see how it’d be haunted.

The old pub (ex coach house) has seen 700 years worth of life and death. I think there’s a better chance of one of those spirits coming back to haunt it

slackalice
    Free Member

What is the truth? Given that the observer changes the reality, none of us have any idea what the real truth is.

Does it matter? No. We all make our own world through the ways we each choose to react to stuff that happens to us and therefore each truth is as valid as the other. To openly deny someone of their own version of their truth/world is deeply disrespectful.

In an infinite Universe, there are an infinite number of possibilities, of which, we are one of them.

imnotverygood

& while we are at it. Why do ghosts only communicate through mediums? Can’t they manage a large?

Drac

Unless the pub build yesterday was built on an old cemetery or something, then I can’t see how it’d be haunted.

Oooh on an old Indian Burial ground.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What is the truth? Given that the observer changes the reality, none of us have any idea what the real truth is.

Does it matter? No. We all make our own world through the ways we each choose to react to stuff that happens to us and therefore each truth is as valid as the other. To openly deny someone of their own version of their truth/world is deeply disrespectful.

Exactly. I’m sure there’s plenty of bitter non-believers on here who choose to ignore all those “bumps in the night” and instead come up with some completely boring rational explanation for them. You’ve got to open your mind and want to believe.

nealglover
    Free Member

..You’ve got to open your mind and want to believe.

That makes no sense.

You need to “want to believe”

That already the opposite of “open minded”

What you are saying is that you have already made your mind up, and are looking for evidence to prove yourself right.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Our (level headed) MD saw a "ghost" last week!’ is closed to new replies.