Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Our cat's been missing for 5 days – should we fear the worst?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Spook Starship went out on Tuesday night and we haven’t seen him since.

His disappearance, however, coincides with him being just out of the cattery after our 2 week holiday. I am holding on to the hope that maybe he is enjoying some time out following this.

We’ve had him for the best part of eight years after he kind of adopted us. But he has been a constant pet since then.

Perhaps he has been fatally injured by a car or died of natural causes but we are hoping he is having a “gap week” and will be home soon after his incarceration.

Anybody have any experiences of cats going missing for extended periods?

[looking for reassurance]sigh[/looking for reassurance]

mrmo
    Free Member

a year or so back we had a cat take up residence in our garden took a month to get close enough to check it out and a couple more weeks to get it in a cage. It was returned to its original owners by the cats protection.

Not saying the cat will return, just don’t give up hope it may be lost.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Ours went missing for about two weeks, once we’d accepted that she was probably dead, she sauntered in looking perfectly well, demanded to be fed,had a wash then went to sleep on the bed and never did it again in the next eight years.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Have you checked your wheelie bin? 😆

Ambrose

How old is Spook? Was Spook in good health proir to departure?

AFAIK cats will often wander, returning as and when they feel like it. I was one told that there are more owners of pet cats in Britain than there are pet cats.

I should imagine that Spook has gone walkabout. Leave food out, catflap open, make him/ her welcome upon return.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If he hasn’t done this before in the last ten years, then it doesn’t too good I’m afraid 😐

Death by natural causes isn’t very likely imo. Not impossible, but cats don’t tend to die suddenly without any previous problems. RTA is much more likely, although I would have expected you to find his body – if you haven’t, then that’s a good sign I reckon.

What is also very possible is that he’s locked himself in someone’s shed/garage – cats will often sneak into things to which the door is then closed by someone. Put notes through doors/knock on doors.

I would also place adverts on lampposts etc offering a reward for his return – local kids are likely to become your eyes and ears. I would also check local vets RSPCA etc, in case he was knocked down and taken by someone for treatment – you will be surprised just how many people are prepared to do that.

Don’t give up. Good luck.

MrFannay
    Free Member

Have you been around your neighbours to check their sheds & garages?
    Our old moggie Bill went missing for a fortnight once and came back painfully thin and weak smelling of engine oil, he had obviously been locked in a garage whilst the homeowners went on their hols!

Hope puss returns soon, have faith 🙂

clipper68
    Free Member

Both of ours did exactly that after a weeks holiday. One rocked up after two or three days, the other was starting to live next door. They knew perfectly well whose cat it was but weren’t shooing him out when he came in and he kept miraculously losing every single collar that was put on him for a couple of weeks. We think they were feeding and fussing him to make him live there. Few weeks ago he got quite ill with a flu type thing and hey presto they didn’t want to know him and he is now coming home to us every day.(hes all better now and still coming home)

I wouldn’t worry too much unless someone is trying to steal him. Happens a lot apparently.

Cougar

Mine used to disappear for days on end. If it’s out of character then that’s not good, but I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.

Hope he’s ok, sorry dude.

Makore
    Free Member

One of ours once disappeared years ago. We looked everywhere, knocked on doors, checked outbuildings, searched the whole hillside but to no avail. Then exactly two weeks later she appeared on the kitchen table waiting to be fed! She was thin but otherwise ok. When I went out and saw a French car I realised where she had probably been – across the road and a few doors down the house is owned by a French couple as a second/third? home. I remembered seeing the car two weeks ago. I didn’t ask them about a black cat since I thought she may have left a bit of a mess! She’s never done it again, nor will she after a stroke has slowed her down and restricted her to the house and garden.
    There is still hope yet for you.

duff
    Free Member

One of my cats went missing for over 2 weeks once. I put up posters in the area but had given her up for dead, absolutely gutted. Opened the door to let one of the cats in one evening and she came in too, looking fine and very pleased to be back – never done it since and I’ve no idea where she went.

Hope you find him..

beinbhan

one of my cats went missing for 4 months turned up like a bag of bones but ok other wise

Splash-man
    Free Member

As above really. Never say never with cats. One of mine went missing fora number of weeks as well. Was about to get another and she turned up right as rain !
    However, several years later she disappeared for good. Never seen again. She was micro-chipped so we called the Council, the local vets and the animal protection groups but nobody ever found her body 🙁
    They are known to go and hide when they are on the way out. Check under bushes behind scheds etc incase the worst has happened 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Any news ?

WTF
    Free Member

grumm
    Free Member

Ours has dissappeared for a few days more than once – worried us silly but again, sauntered back in looking rather well fed and groomed. I suspect he had another house where he was getting fussed over.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice, kind words and tales of your experiences with missing felines.

Spook is still MIA (or should that be MIAOW?)

I’ll let you know if he turns up.

DS

thomthumb
    Free Member

girlfriends cat dissapeared for 8 days earlier this year, he was the type of cat that never left the house or garden, just when everyone (but me) had decided he was dead he turned back up. was clearly dehydrated and had to see the vet – but now is better than ever. 🙂

Don’t give up.

Davy
    Free Member

The chances are he’s shacked up with some floozie nearby. Once they’ve both exhausted themselves he’ll come trotting back as though nothing’s happened.

hora
    Free Member

Hope he comes back soon. Hopefully (worsecase) he was picked up by someone thinking he was lost and is currently being fed tinned tuna and sat infront of a roaring fire 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it’s probably depopulating the local small mammals and birds

once it gets cold and hungry it will come back

…unless some spinster is feeding it 5 streets away

MrsTricky
    Free Member

Hi
    I really hope your cat turns up safe and well – my next door neighbour found his after a couple of months – it had decided to “relocate” half a mile away.

If your cat’s microchipped, if it’s been in an accident then you will be able to be contacted. I recently saw a cat in a collision with a car – though it was wearing a collar, there was no id or way of contacting the owners. It was still alive, so I took it to the local vet hospital, but I’ve got no way of knowing whether the owners were able to be informed. I put notices on the phone box nearby, and at the local vets.

It might be worthwhile phoning local vets to see if your cat was brought to them. Also, when I took the cat to the vet hospital I had to notify the RSPCA, as they cover vet fees if the owner is not found. They also keep a log of missing/injured animals for 30 days.

Hope this helps

MrsT

Dangerboy
    Free Member

as per all the above really, never say never etc

some friends went on holiday recently and asked us to pop round and feed their bengals am and pm each day. We did, but didn’t see the cats at all the whole time, not out of character for the older one, but the young ‘un is like clockwork for feeding. Should have been put in a battery imho, but not my decision to make. One night we arrive to an rspca card on the door – cue big panic, frantic calls etc… Transpires that a ‘concerned’ neighbour had been locking the young ‘un in their garage overnight because they thought it had been abandoned. Poor thing was traumatized, its really changed his character and he still isn’t back to normal. Bar. Stewards.

hora
    Free Member

…unless some spinster is feeding it 5 streets away

…unless some spinster is feeding it tinned tuna laced with liquid cod liver oil 5 streets away..

When I give that to bingo I swear he’d kill me/anything if I decided to change my mind and lift it away from him 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I have tales of cats going walkabout similar to the above. It’s very common tbh.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Well we were right to be worried.

We found out today that Spook was fatally injured on the road on the 22nd September.

At least we know now.

I’ll miss the big guy.

psychle
    Free Member

Ah, bugger… was hoping for a happy ending… condolences 🙁

Taff
    Free Member

ah crap. Really sorry to hear about that.

woody2000

🙁

Sorry to hear that d_s.

stumpy01

balls……

Rickos
    Free Member

Houns ran over a cat the other day (or something). Do you live in Stourbridge?

carlosg
    Free Member

Crap that’s awful.

Since moving home we’ve lost 2 cats to the local roads and have decided it isn’t really fair to get another + we can’t put ourselves through getting attached then upset when something like this happens.

Rickos
    Free Member

Ooh, bugger! I posted my reply without reading the full thread. 😳

Sorry!

And to set the record straight, it was Houns’ neighbour that hit a cat and Houns sped it off to the vet and is now trying to find out who owns it. He’s all heart…unlike me. Sorry again.

Cougar

It’s probably little consolation, but at least you know for sure now.

Sorry dude.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear mate. Was hoping for a happy ending too.

RIP Spook Starship.

hora
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 🙁

It would have been quick and painless though.

j_me
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. I’m sure Spock had a good life in the Starship house.

DaveGr
    Free Member

So sorry to hear that.

enfht
    Free Member

🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

Not good dude. 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Our cat's been missing for 5 days – should we fear the worst?’ is closed to new replies.