Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Ouchy! Well that’s me off the bike for a couple of months😢
  • welshfarmer

Had a minor accident with a sharp hacker (billhook type hedging tool) this arvo and took a slice into my knuckle on the index finger of my left hand. Bandaged up and headed the 10 miles to minor injury clinic. On the way I got looking at the back of my right hand and noticed how prominent and vulnerable the extender tendon looked. Followed quickly by a dawning realisation that a couple of stitches wasn’t going to fix this one!
    Sure enough, tendon sliced clean though. I got lucky thouigh insofar as there happened to be a ortopaedic surgeon there just heading home who had a look and booked me in for an OP tomorrow. We got talking and he knew my ex (also an orthopeadic surgeon in the area) and when i asked if they woulde do it under local he said no. BUT. If I was happy to have it done under local he would do the job there and then! how could I refuse. It is a strange feeling looking inside your body as it gets cut, pulled, pushed, and sewn up. I think the sound of metal on bone was the strangest bit. So all being well, barring infection/covid/stupidity on my part, it should now heal up over the next 2-3 months. I could still ride and pull the back brake on, but I wouldn’t be able to release it again 🤣

before the plaster was fitted…

colournoise

Ouf! Heal fast and well mate.

A spell off the bike is better than some potential alternative outcomes I guess…

Poopscoop

Healing vibes bud. You did the right thing getting it done there and then.

I had 2 skin grafts under local.

Slicing skin off my upper arm and sewing them onto the burn on my hand. Then sewing up my arm again.lol

Was a surreal experience and I made myself watch it all out of principle of being an idiot in the first place to get the injury.😁

SaxonRider

Jeez! Get better soon!

dyna-ti

Nasty. Guess you’ll be holding the plants further up next gardening job.

ElShalimo

Jesus… I dont feel great after looking at that.

I hope you’re right handed

qwerty
    Free Member

K’in ‘ell – your a brave man!!!

cb200
    Free Member

Owwwww. Brave soldier. Fast healing vibes. Hope it doesn’t affect your livlihood, and more importantly, your riding, for too long.

i_like_food

Savage. Heal fast!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ouch, GWS… And get practising the one-handed lamb delivery! 😉

theotherjonv

’tis merely a flesh wound!

Good job on the local. When I mangled a finger playing sport and needed a ring block so they could pull and straighten it, it was the foot long needle (OK, about 2 inches) and the immortal words ‘some people find this a bit uncomfortable’ that caused the white out; the finger pointing e-w rather than n-s was dead easy!

kayak23

Sheesh man. Nasty stuff. Heal up soon.

matt_outandabout

Oooft, a close call to much more serious again it seems.

Heal quick!

Wally

Ouchy, bet you drove there too. Heal fast and what a touch with getting it sorted there and then.

fasthaggis

Heal well OP.
    Hope it’s sorted for lambing 😉
    BTW,this thread did not in any way need pitchurs, but you just had to,didn’t ya 🙂

Sandwich

Ouch, GWS.

That’s going to make feeding the livestock a bit trying.

jamiemcf

Heal well, tendons take a while to heal.

MoreCashThanDash

I caused the Forestry Commission a lot of paperwork slicing my thumb open with a billhook doing some hedge laying as a volunteer a few years back. Not as bad as yours, but still a bit of a shock.

Be careful, keep it clean, and let it heal.

windyg
    Free Member

Ouch that looks nasty and must have been a pretty scary moment when that was done, after slicing my thumb open with a saw a couple of years ago it made me very aware of having cut prove gloves.

welshfarmer

Thanks for all the kind and supportive words. I hadn’t realised it was anything other than a bad cut until I was almost at minor injuries clinic (and of course I drove myself!). Pain after first night is bearable, not being able to do up a button or zip, less so. Mrs WF is less than impressed and making her feelings vey clear as to what a muppet I am. Full PPE next time I guess 😆

Scanning ewes this afternoon so that gives me 9 weeks or so until the first lambs arrive to get back to some sort of 2 handed usefulness.

Houns

You took your eye off the bit you were trying to cut didn’t you? Heal well, and thanks for the reminder to keep hands well out of the way next time I’m hedge laying

Cougar

fossy

Ooof

doug_basqueMTB.com

Ouch! Hope you’re back on the bike soon, heal well!

TiRed

Piano practice on hold? Hope it heals well and you are back to full health soon.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s a scratch, should buff out nicely. 😉

Marko

@welshfarmer

Which minor injuries clinic was that (for future reference) 🤞

Heal quick

stanley

Bravo for having that done under a local!
    I snapped the extensor tendon of the left hand, second finger (+ a couple of broken finger bones) in a motorbike accident in March 2018. It took 2 years to get anything like a reasonable range of motion back. Being unable to bend just one finger really messes up the bio-mechanics of the whole hand.
    It was this loss of functionality that I found hardest to deal with. I’d really suggest hammering the physio/OT exercises as soon as you are able to. I bought a load of “rehab squeezy eggs” (not their proper name!) and almost lived with one in my hand whilst watching tv, reading, etc. They definitely helped get the movement patterns back.

All the best

welshfarmer

[strong]Marko[/strong] wrote:

Neville Hall in Abergavenny

sparksmcguff

That looks and sounds fairly uncomfortable. Hope it heals well and quickly.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Not really related welshfarmer but you’ll appreciate the magnitude of the injury as a sheep farmer.

Years ago my dad was thrown off by an absolute monster ram while shearing… With hand shears… That dissapeared all the way up his thigh to the handle when he landed on them. Not just into his leg but in AND up his thigh.

Heal fast.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Hope you’re back on the mend and bike soon WF. Not being able to ride is up there with some level of hell

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Heal fast but I expect that will sting a bit tomorrow. I remember having my fingernail removed under local, just a ring block around the finger base and seeing the surgeon gripping the nail with some pliers and cutting around the edges until it lifted. Real shame I didn’t have a camera phone in those days.

Ambrose

Aye Carumba!! 😲

Sending get well soon vibes from Dyffryn Aman

mogrim

Ouch! Sending healing thoughts and vibes from Spain!

donald
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Heal fast but I expect that will sting a bit tomorrow. I remember having my fingernail removed …

quelle surprise

<edit> You still have fingers? </edit?

scaredypants

WF, is your description correct – sounds like you injured BOTH hands in the same incident. Was somebody else swinging the tool ?
    Regardless, GWS !

welshfarmer

[strong]scaredypants[/strong] wrote:

WF, is your description correct – sounds like you injured BOTH hands in the same incident. Was somebody else swinging the tool ?

No, only one injured hand and only one idiot swinging the tool! To be fair it has been remarkably pain free, though it is splinted in a half cast to stop any movement.

Marin
    Free Member

Ditto! Slipped with a saw on Monday and cut through my tendon on index finger and into the knuckle. Drove to local A and E and had surgery on Wednesday under local. Two surgeons for me at the same time! Nice z shaped scar as a souvenir. Half cast off Tuesday down to a splint same estimate of three months for recovery. Lucky really as I was cutting through a brick wall with a whizzer day before which would have taken all my fingers off. Hurrah for the NHS. Could be fun explaining blood spray pattern in the front of the van if the police ever stop me. Get well soon.

Klunk
    Free Member

the physio for a stitched tendon… is ice water baths stretches ice water baths stretches most unpleasant :C

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Ouchy! Well that’s me off the bike for a couple of months😢’ is closed to new replies.