Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ouch! Split my head open
  • NewRetroTom

I always wear a helmet for riding my bike. Occasionally this pays off when I bash my head on a rock/tree, although it’s probably been a couple of years since my last proper head/earth interface.

I never wear a helmet for walking around the office, but this morning I managed to smash my head very hard into the roof and have split my scalp open good and proper. Blood dripping down my forehead and onto the floor. Lovely.

Crap design from the architects who designed/the builders who built our office. The roof steps down in the same place as the floor does, so you’re looking at where to place your feet, not where the roof is about to smack your head. I’m 6′ and need to considerably stoop to not hit the roof. Also the edge that has been left is a proper sharp right angle, hence why it did such a good job of cutting my scalp open. Aaaaarrgh!

Now considering whether I should cancel my planned lunchtime ride in case mild concussion makes it too dangerous!

funkrodent

Where there’s blame there’s a claim? 😃

creakingdoor
    Free Member

POIDH

NewRetroTom

ads678

Ouch!

The one* bad thing about being bald is the fact that you don’t get a hair warning before banging your head on things! God knows how many times i’ve banged my head since I decided to take it all off. Only cut it a couple of times though, and not bad like that.

*well theres the cold as well I supposed…

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Proper job! As that’s happened at work I expect they’ll do something about it now; warning tape, padding etc

reeksy

So, we need to test you for concussion by asking some questions.

How many fingers am I holding up?

Who’s the current Prime Minister?

Hmmm… may need some different questions.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Crap design from the architects who designed/the builders who built our office.

If they didn’t at least give it minimum headroom, I’m guessing it was designed the 1500’s and they’ve long since folded?

NewRetroTom

Votes on whether I should cancel my lunchtime ride…

Head feels slightly weird, but I am lucid enough to post pictures on STW and know who the current prime minister is. Bleeding has stopped.

Lunchtime ride would include 1,000m of descent on rocky/rooty trails.

NewRetroTom

If they didn’t at least give it minimum headroom, I’m guessing it was designed the 1500’s and they’ve long since folded?

We moved in at the start of last year – it had been fully refurbished/converted from previous use.

reeksy

I’ve split my head open like that before, but all my concussions came from side or rear of head impacts. IANAD but I’d ride if I felt good personally.

matt_outandabout

Head feels slightly weird

You know the answer already.

scruff9252

Head feels slightly weird, but I am lucid enough to post pictures on STW and know who the current prime minister is. Bleeding has stopped.

Lunchtime ride would include 1,000m of descent on rocky/rooty trails.

It’s clearly a no for me on the ride and tbf I’d be more thinking around if that needs a stitch from the walking wounded clinic / minor injuries unit.

NewRetroTom

Yeah, I’ve decided the lunchtime ride is definitely off.

Starting to feel a little bit wobbly now, so might head home to rest.

fasthaggis

Don’t let any of that grey plaster dust get in the wound,clean it up and go full head bandage.
    Oh,and sack the lunchtime ride ,it’s lashing down. 😉🙃

iainc

would have thought Office First Aider would have suggested you go get it checked out, poss some stitches, which would likely be sound advice.

dyna-ti

Stick a claim in. You’ve been injured and its not your fault. Which is exactly what insurance is for.

So there will be a silver lining to this cloud, and you can use any compo to buy something nice for the bike.

Dear old Mum slipped on the wet floor in Aldi(aged 78) No real physical injuries except for a bit of bruising and the loss of confidence. Put a claim in, although she had to be talked into that, and received £2k.

I’d say that made her feel a whole lot better and probably more able to dismiss the accident rather than dwell upon it.

CountZero

Who’s the current Prime Minister?

What day is it?

nickc

Go home and rest up, that looks nasty.

revs1972
    Free Member

Is this one of those buildings where they have built a mezzanine floor after the main structure?
    We’ve had a few where we have moved the stairs from where the architect wanted them, to avoid what you have there.
    Either that or padding and high viz warning (although i’ve seen this removed as it didn’t fit in with the “decor” of the office).
    Make sure it’s in the accident book !

tonyg2003

Ouch – looks nasty and probably the right idea to bin the lunchtime ride.

But, but, but am I the only thinking “how the hell does he get a 1000m descending lunchtime ride?” …

doomanic

But, but, but am I the only thinking “how the hell does he get a 1000m descending lunchtime ride?” …

No. No you’re not.

TiRed

Hope it’s properly registered in the accident book. We have a huge push for safety at work. Also where’s the superglue?

NewRetroTom

how the hell does he get a 1000m descending lunchtime ride?

This was yesterday’s ride.
    https://strava.app.link/VP3RfYqzrub

doomanic

Noice!

Cheating though, living in the Alps and having an English sounding username. 😀

MoreCashThanDash

As an office first aider, I’d be getting you to minor injuries to have it checked out, and the accident book would be straight off to Estates

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.