Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Ouch ouch… Tooth ache! Remedies?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Anything I can do to help alleviate the pain? Popped several ibuprofen today and other than making me drowsy it’s not done much to kill the pain.

Past few days have been a bit tortuous. Throbbing pain in my jaw. Originally put the pain down to me grinding in the night due to stress, but today I conceded and book an appointment with a dentist….

Not being resident in the UK I’m
    not quite sure what it’s going to cost me (probably lots!). Not even sure if I can claim it on my German insurance, although it would have to be a big bill to make it worthwhile…. Well, at least with the pound as weak as it is the bill’s not going be quite as painful as the tooth.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Try mouthfuls of iced water. Helped mine.

solidrooster
    Free Member

Try putting clove oil on it. Tastes awful but it’ll help with the toothache.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tramadol and codeine. Somebody is bound to have a stash at home somewhere. I can wholeheartedly recommend them washed down with a strong cider.

* I am not a doctor.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Co-codamol.

But only for a few days until you can get to the dentist. I went a bit crazy on co-codamol, brufen and beer for similar recently and ended up with stomach cramps for a couple of weeks after. 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

yep clove oil, roll a small ball of tissue dunk in the oil using some tweezers place in mouth and hold against the cavity/painful tooth repeat till… normality. Taste foul at first but you get used to it and the stuff stinks to friends and family!

tjagain

Take paracetomol with your ibuprofen

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

THC, and some rizla. 😆

Gunz
    Free Member

If you can’t get your hands on clove oil just pop a couple of cloves next to the tooth, very effective.

mattyfez

Assuming you’ll have to pay up front and go private, my dentist charges between £75 and £130 for a filling depending on how big/deep the cavity is.

In the interim, codeine if you have any, one tiny tablet should do the job, it did for me as my mrs has some for her migraines. I’d prefer it to tramadol, a mate gave me one once when I had toothache and it didn’t really do much for my tooth pain, just made me feel really queasy.

Or else a combination of ibrubrofen, a few shots of rum and a spliff will take the edge off. So I’m told.

Also ibrubrofen shouldn’t make you drowsy, it’s an anti inflammatory, not a pain killer per se.

alpin
    Free Member

should add, a mate recommended holding some whiskey in my mouth. turns out i don’t much like whiskey.

i found some other Nurofen pills with codeine. have popped a few.

i did the cold water thing last night. it helped.

“Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    THC, and some rizla.”

a few more months to go yet…. 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ice cold water was the only thing that would stop mine, although not for long. Removal of the tooth was the answer.

mattyfez

Nurofen pills with codeine

Neurofen is just ibrubrofen in a fancy package and ten times the price unless it’s this

Codine is an opiate and is prescription only in the UK.

km79
    Free Member

Heroin will take your mind off the pain.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Raw garlic. Chew it up with the affected tooth. Works really well to numb it and also knocks the infection on the head too. Obvs breath is an issue

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Codine is an opiate and is prescription only in the UK.

Co-codamol is paracetamol with codeine and is available OTC. Codeine on its own (which is needed in higher doses to work as a painkiller) is prescription only though.

Not sure about rules in Germany though which is where the OP is.

backinireland
    Free Member

Is pain affected by hot and cold things?
    Sore to bite on?
    Constant throbbing or electric shock?
    Anything make it better or worse?
    Any swelling?
    Bad taste?

Different things cause toothache and each requires different treatment.
    Clove oil may work for example on nerve pain, but not on infection

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Sounds like the OP is actually in the uk at the moment . Can you go to a doctor and get a prescription for anti biotics which will help if you have an infection .

alpin
    Free Member

Yup… In the UK ATM.

Not keen on further jeopardising my driving license with opiates…! Prescription or otherwise…

I’ll give the garlic a miss seeing as the appointment is first thing tomorrow. Haha.

mattyfez

Have a couple of stiff drinks then, and some paracetamol and ibrubrofen.
    I don’t believe paracetamol interacts with ibrubrofen.

When I couldn’t afford a filling for a few weeks I was doubling up on paracetamol and ibrubrofen.. Seemed to work ok, apart from some stomach discomfort.

Keeping your mouth exceptionally clean, mouthwash or toothpaste after eating anything will help.

alexpalacefan

A 😉

spacehopper

there’s only one cure for toothache.. A dentist.

I’ve recently had dental issues and the following worked a bit for me..

Whisky.. Very Temporary relief..
    Milk.. Slightly less temporary relief..

Paracetamol and ibuprofen alternated every 2 hours worked best.. (make sure there’s a 4 hour gap inbetween each drug though!!)

So.. Para, 2hours later ibu, 2 hours after Ibu more para etc

Codeine helps a bit but it’s more ooo I’m floatee and high so I’ve forgotten about the pain.. rather than actual pain relief..

I’ve used clove oil before and it does work to a degree

But i found it utterly evil stuff and it basically melted the inside of my mouth.. Big chunks of.skin coming off.my cheek.and gums!!

Try leaving some on a bit of plastic you don’t need and see what it does to it.. (spilt some on an old phone and it pretty much destroyed the plastic case overnight!!)

The only permanent cure will be dental work.. And / or antibiotics..

Get in as soon as you can and to hell with the cost.. Teeth don’t ever get better on their own permanantly.. And dental pain can get utterly utterly Horrendous if left untreated professionally.

mattyfez

dental pain can get utterly utterly Horrendous if left untreated professionally.

Totally agree. It’s ruinously expensive but if you find a good dentist, get a treatment plan panned out and do it..

I’ve spent a small fortune over the years as I neglected to go due to a bad experience, but now I’ve found one that’s good, as I’m dentist phobic if that’s a thing..
    They pre numb my gums with a gel, and have a computer controled injection system so it’s the right temperature and the anesthetic isn’t pushed in too quickly, so there’s minimal discomfort.

alpin
    Free Member

Turns out I’m a grinder.

It would appear that I need a psychologist or a major lifestyle change and not a dentist.

Or maybe a gum shield for the short term.

A mix of mum being in and out of hospital for the last six months (leukaemia) and jumping between the UK and Germany, the stress of being “home” and having to run the house (my old man seems almost incapable of doing anything more productive than making a bacon sandwich), walk the dog etc and probably the biggest thing… not being overly happy with where I am with myself; geographically, with regard to my work, my outlook on the future.

Not expecting anyone to read this. Just find it cathartic to write it down.

kcal

yes, I went to the dentist a long while ago with aggravated toothache, he did give me some anti bionics as well IIRC but concluded that the heightened stress if you like over upcoming marriage (!) was probably triggering it all off, and it did settle down rapidly.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve only had toothache once in my life and I hated it. The only thing that made the pain go away was mountain biking (I was away at Bike Park Wales at the time). Good reason to dust off the bike 😉

northshoreniall

Have you got a EHIC ? I used one when home in Ireland (live and work England) few years ago to access emergency dentist as broke a tooth – free treatment given.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member 
    Can you go to a doctor and get a prescription for anti biotics which will help if you have an infection .

Good luck with that. Been having aches for some time now and bouncing back and forth between dentist and doctor. Dentist twice doing checks and xrays saying nothing wrong with the teeth, probably sinus infection, and doctor saying nooooo, go to the dentist (again).

Currently trying over the counter meds for sinus stuff but friends saying only way really is the antibiotics.

Uncertain what it is at present. Could be sinus, could be abscess but two dentists and different xrays say no. Either of those needs antibiotics though. Dentist also says maybe dead nerve and could lead to root canal, but doesn’t want to dive into that with no evidence at the moment. Oh and doctor noticed blocked ears and I do get ear ache with all this, so could be that as well.

Ear, nose, throat. Annoying as all connected and makes anything in that connection ache and hard to work out the cause.

All costing a fortune with the dentist as I’m private. I have a plan for regular check ups and cover for overseas emergencies, but doesn’t cover anything else. Doctor is free but 3 week wait for appointments and just get a shrug and told to go away effectively.

alpin
    Free Member

You can have my prescription, dk.

Dentist was happy to give me some antibiotics, but said it’s less likely an infection than grinding/stress.

kcal

also, quite warm to hot salted water, swirl around, can really help.

deadkenny
    Free Member

alpin – Member 
    Dentist was happy to give me some antibiotics, but said it’s less likely an infection than grinding/stress.

That was also suggested by my dentist and there were some signs of grinding, though I never notice it myself.

It’s painful aches at times though. Sometimes really feels like a proper tooth ache, and other times odd dull aches in various places, sometimes more of a headache or ear ache. Though I have a definite sharp “ouch!” sensitive tooth.

ransos
    Free Member

yes, I went to the dentist a long while ago with aggravated toothache, he did give me some anti bionics

Were you in danger of turning into a robot?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Ouch ouch… Tooth ache! Remedies?’ is closed to new replies.