• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sp.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • (OTish) ~ Medical Professionals Advice – 'Golfers Elbow'
  • sp
    Free Member

I started getting pain in my elbow six weeks ago, (I believe brought on by excessive DIY). After 2 weeks I spoke to my GP who diagnosed Golfers elbow. He advised rest, Ibuprofen and sent me to see a physiotherapists. Physio gave me some exercises and advised to use ice and return 2 weeks later.

One week later with no improvement, I go back to the Drs, he injects the elbow with some sort of steroid and prescribes a different anti-inflammatory tablet.

Over the last few days I have had pain in the forearm, it feels like I have strained the muscle however, other than the given excersises, I'm not aware of doing anything to cause such an injury. The elbow pain is not as severe now but I'm still unable to carry on as normal and most of all still off the bike. I had a follow up with the physiotherapists on Wednesday of this week and, after being examined, was told to continue doing the exercises and return in three weeks time.

Is there anything else that could be done the speed up my recovery? Would there be any advantage to use a Private sector physiotherapist? Cash is tight but without my cycling I'm a miserable bugger! (and don't I know it 😉 – the wife!)

Any advice is very welcome

DrP

Is there anything else that could be done the speed up my recovery?

Tell your body to recover quicker?!
    Sounds like you've had good advice, and sometimes we (the collective 'we') must accept that sometimes broken bodies take TIME to repair!

From GPNotebook.com:
    Treatment of golfer's elbow is based on rest. The activity that precipitates pain must be avoided so to allow the lesion to heal. Elbow splints and ultrasound treatment may be of some help.

Most cases settle with one or two local steroid injections, directed at the area of maximum localized tenderness. Hydrocortisone acetate mixed with local anaesthetic may be used, and of note long acting steroids should be avoided as there is a risk of skin atrophy. Also be aware of the local anatomy and the close relation of the ulnar nerve.

DrP

dazh

There's tons of stuff on climbing websites about the best way to treat troublesome elbows so have a look on google. Here's a good start:

http://onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.com/2009/12/rehab-for-golfers-elbow-for-climbers.html

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

maybe ask the physio about biking? If they're not a biker then I'd try to find one who is as I'm sure they can recommend some form of 2 wheeled entertainment that will not stress the elbow.

otherwise sounds like you need to be patient and lay off the DIY

ianv
    Free Member

I read an article somewhere about exercises for golfers elbow. Get a dumb bell about 10kgs to start. Wrist up, arm flat on a surface, with 2 hands pull it up till the wrist is bent 90 degrees upwards. Let wrist drop slowly all the way till 90 degrees facing downwards. Repeat 3 sets of 10-12 each day. Hope that makes sence.

This really worked for me.

teagirl
    Free Member

I went to the Docs recently with the same thing, golfers elbow and tennis too! Gave me plenty of exercises on printed sheets and off I went. Did said exercises regularly and problem is slowly improving. No quick fix i'm afraid and you must do the exercises regularly (daily). I'm surprised you got your GP to inject you so quickly.

sp
    Free Member

DrP, I guess I was hoping for a miracle cure, however thank your for the reassurance.

dazh, thanks for the link, some good advice there, just done the hot/cold treatment.

freegan bikefascist – Physio has said I can go back to cycling but I'm sure its too soon, maybe another week off.

ianv – I'll keep in mind what you have said. Once I feel I've reached the limit of the resistance bands I'll give that a try.

teagirl – Thank you for your comments and I hope you recover soon too. My GP knows how much I 'need' my cycling so I sure that had something to do with him jabbing me so soon.

Health Warning – DIY is bad for you FACT 👿

Most of all thanks all for the moral boost and hope you guys stay healthy. Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘(OTish) ~ Medical Professionals Advice – 'Golfers Elbow'’ is closed to new replies.