Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • OT Tree surgeons. What chainsaw boots?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I need a pair of chainsaw boots. I've been wearing some steel toecapped leather work boots for chainsaw duty for years. Having sliced a chunk out of my shin with static saw at the weekend when not wearing my protective trousers while clearing up, I'm thinking some proper boots would be worthwhile.

What to go for? Leather lace up or rubber wellie type. Most of the cutting I do tends to be in winter.

Kuco

I take it you won't be going up tree's wearing them? If you are stay away from wellies and get proper tree climbing boots..

I wear both in winter including chainsaw waders. Wellies can get uncomfortable if worn for a long time because of the very thick rigid front that can have a tendency to dig into your shin, though great for muddy conditions.

Currently got some waterproof chainsaw boots that are very good, warm and comfortably but cost about £150 a pair. If it's not going to be to muddy or wet when you use your saw a bog standard pair of boots will do.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

haix, no question! used em for 3 years, goretex and comfy,expensive though but you gets whats you pays for

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nae tree climbing for me. Mostly cutting up wood from the sawmill. Sometimes the odd fallen tree after a storm.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

I've got a clunking great pair of boots… kinda like Gary Glitter's boots. Not comfortable to walk around in but very well protected and make me feel quite safe.

Mendipman
    Free Member

I use oregon boots mainly because my dealer sells them and they are cheap around £80, but I can trash a pair in 6 to 8 months so I wont spend too much. As long as they are the right FSC cat and comfy they will do same for my ballistics too (hedges kill clothing!!).

Innes
    Free Member

Love that wood store mcmoonter, I thought I was collecting a decent amount of wood.

Kuco

Oregon +1

Great basic boot just put some clear dubbin on them and they should last you ages for what you want them for.

Si
    Free Member

I use and love aquafell boots.

Not cheap but the most comfotable and waterproof by a long way

Kuco

Si their the ones I use. As you say very comfy.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I'll visit my saw supplier, they have a selection of boots. I'll try out both and see which feels best.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

You ok Pete?

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

+1 for Haix, mine have lasted well over 4 years. Apart from the laces!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You ok Pete?

Al, got some paper stitches. I was fine till the nurse started talking about the wound retracting, then I had the mother of all whiteys.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh 😀

WTF is wound retracting? Best sit down before you type.

swamp_boy

I have a pair of Meindl lace up jobs which I like a lot, look a bit like the Aquafells. Not cheap and a bit stiff and heavy for climbing, but waterproof and comfy even on my wide feet.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

WTF is wound retracting? Best sit down before you type.

Imagine Mick Jagger's lips laughing on your shin. Or some other fleshy orifice

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘OT Tree surgeons. What chainsaw boots?’ is closed to new replies.