Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • OT – shaving
  • TheFlyingOx

Just a quickie.

I’ve just ordered an Edwin Jagger safety razor. Is it the height of boorishness to just use bog standard shaving foam out of a can? If so, why? And what are the benefits of the whole shaving brush/soap/bowl thing?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh jeeze here we go again… 🙁

TheFlyingOx

Yes, I know it’s a bit of a pet subject amongst some on here. That’s why I asked 😀

iDave
    Free Member

unreal…..

emsz
    Free Member

venus in the shower, and amazingly I’m fine 😆

winston_dog
    Free Member

Get this
    Soap and brush

and some of these
    Feathers

and your sorted.

Ignore the complete fools who have been sucked in by the gilette marketing.

crikey
    Free Member

Ignore the complete fools who have been sucked in by the apparent need to make even something that men do every day, without any trouble,turning into yet more middle class retro oneupmanship, into some kind of metrosexual facial preparation hierarchical display of typical STW knobbery gilette marketing.

Fixed, as they say, it for you.

Hohum
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    Ignore the complete fools who have been sucked in by the apparent need to make even something that men do every day, without any trouble,turning into yet more middle class retro oneupmanship, into some kind of metrosexual facial preparation hierarchical display of typical STW knobbery gilette marketing.

Fixed, as they say, it for you.

Blimey!

Hard day at the office 😮

crikey
    Free Member

Not at work today thanks!

Can’t wait for the advent of gore-tex toilet roll, carbon fibre toothbrushes, and having a bath in heavy water…

🙄

TheFlyingOx

So you’re pooh-poohing modern advancements in the same breath as turning your nose up at the old-fashioned way of doing things?

crikey
    Free Member

No. I’m suggesting that the current fad for shaving exotica is based less on the actual end result and rather more on the acquistion and subsequent broadcasting of said acquisition in a similar fashion to that which we see associated with much of the mountain bike related tomfoolery which occurs here.

In simpler terms; it’s shaving, get over it.

iDave
    Free Member

well said crikey

TheFlyingOx

Well far be it for me to have a non-poncey reason for wanting an old fashioned razor, but i’m off to deepest darkest Cambodia in 3 weeks, and I reckon I’ll have a better chance of finding old school razor blades in some back end of nowhere village than I will with Gillette Fusion Pro Ultra 5: The Razorning, or whatever they’re called at the moment.

I just wondered if I could get away with a can of shaving foam rather than backpacking with a badger hair brush and foam dish and sandalwood soap block, etc.

Any sensible answers, or am I now forever a middle class wannabe concerned only with how retro-current I appear to the rest of STW?

scaredypants

take a little bottle of shaving oil
    light & small
    (and maybe niche enough to make crikey get all in a lather*)

* 😳

joat

Would you float in deuterium based bath water? I wonder, Crikey.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Razors and bike have some things in common, I’m really happy with my old one (Mach3) spares are too expensive , parts wear quicker than they should, new isn’t necessarily better (I just block 4 and 5 blade razors), a super market own brand one is unlikely to be much good, some designs are only for perverts and retro freaks.

Hohum
    Free Member

I used to get pretty good shaves with cartridges before I switched and thankfully never really suffered from ingrown hairs or razor rash.

I am not sure if the quality of the shave is better with my DE razor and brush, but it does make me feel better psychologically when I shave now and it has gone from an activity that felt like a chore to one which I don’t mind doing.

The idea of gore-tax toilet paper is intriguing…

OP – yes, you can use your DE kit with canned shaving foam.

bigbloke
    Free Member

If your backpacking then take a shaving stick and brush, wet face then rub stick into stubble (no need to produce lather) then wet brush and apply brush onto face to produce a lather then shave, simples and takes up less room in kit. No need for a dish.

At home same system or nice shave soap n bowl ( i use Proraso).

crikey
    Free Member

If it were me, with my curmudgeonly attitude going off to forrin parts, I would take some bars of soap.

3 things needed to shave with;

1. Water; the hairs on your chin can be as thick and hard as copper wire, so get them wet. Wetting serves to soften them as the hair absorbs water. Hot water does this well.

2. Something to lubricate the skin. This is to allow the blade to slide over the skin as it cuts the hair. This can be soap, oil or even water alone. I’ve used hair conditioner in the past.

3. A sharp blade. Even cheapo nasty razors can be sharp.

Even people in deepest darkest Cambodia manage to shave, so do what they do.

It’s just shaving, no need to turn it into a fetish. 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Get a grip.

crikey
    Free Member

but it does make me feel better psychologically

AaaaaRrRrrRrRggGgGgGHhhhhhhhhhHHHHh!

Hohum
    Free Member

crikey – Member

It does, honest 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

big **** off pack of bic disposables and MTFU? or just don’t shave in deapest darkest cambodia?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Philips electric thingy is all I really use. Unless I’n really being posh, then I’ll use a disposable of some sort.

winston_dog
    Free Member

You have some issues mate.

What has fashion got to do with it?
    Shaving with DE razors is cheaper and better.
    Most males do it 5 – 7 times a week, so why would you not want to make cheaper and better?
    Middle class? WTF?? Shaving with a different razor from you???
    Metrosexual???

Have you started shaving yet?

mefty
    Free Member

I use a brush and a soap in a bowl from boots for travelling. Takes up less space and you don’t have to muck about with plastic bags at the airport if it is in hand luggage. If only I could find tooth powder I would be sorted. (I have full duplicate wash bag for travelling because I used to do a lot of it and continually forgot to pack things.)

Cougar

Are you mad?

i’m off to deepest darkest Cambodia in 3 weeks,

What you need there is commonly known as “a beard.” HTH.

In seriousness, if you’ve used cans for years, carry on. In a travel situation, the crux is how long you’re going to be away. A soap will last exponentially longer than anything in a can; years versus weeks.

Shaving at home, moving to a soap / brush from cans was a paradigm shift for me. Moving to a DE razor, the jury’s still out.

mefty
    Free Member

In the later part of the 1990s, ‘paradigm shift’ emerged as a buzzword, popularized as marketing speak and appearing more frequently in print and publication.[8] In his book, Mind The Gaffe, author Larry Trask advises readers to refrain from using it, and to use caution when reading anything that contains the phrase. It is referred to in several articles and books[9][10] as abused and overused to the point of becoming meaningless.

Woody
    Free Member

If your backpacking then take a shaving stick and brush

+1 Takes up less space and removes the possibility of a rucksack filled with shaving foam.

I bought This stick and brush recently and it really is very very good. You can’t go wrong at that price 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    If your backpacking then take a shaving stick and brush
    +1 Takes up less space and removes the possibility of a rucksack filled with shaving foam.
    I bought This stick and brush recently and it really is very very good. You can’t go wrong at that price

I have never used a shave stick before, I get a really good lather from face-lathering with soft/hard soaps and as a result I haven’t bothered changing.

crikey is going to love me ;), but one thing I would say about a boar brush and a shave stick is take some time to practice your technique at home before trying it out in the jungle 😛

Woody
    Free Member

True Ho hum, it does take a few goes to get the right ‘consistency’.

Well it did for me anyway 😳

gonefishin
    Free Member

ut i’m off to deepest darkest Cambodia in 3 weeks, and I reckon I’ll have a better chance of finding old school razor blades in some back end of nowhere village than I will with Gillette Fusion Pro Ultra 5: The Razorning, or whatever they’re called at the moment.

I doubt you’ll have much trouble getting disposable razors in Cambodia, unless you are heading deep into the jungle in which case you’ll not be shaving at all.

Hohum
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    True Ho hum, it does take a few goes to get the right ‘consistency’.

Well it did for me anyway

Even after 2 years of this new/old fangled DE shaving with a hard soap my “consistency” still varies 😛

Not as much as it did at first, but there is still a little bit of variation there.

Oh well, I like the change and, to be honest, that’s all that matters 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Soap and a brush is miles better than the pre-foamed foam in a can ime. I dont get the rustic / antique razor thing though.

A stick of Arko from my barbers costs £1 and last around a year used daily. A brush lasts maybe 15 years.

On the other hand an electric razor makes me look like a convict before lunchtime! Each to their own.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

and a brush and some hot water

and a razor

leffeboy

but i’m off to deepest darkest Cambodia in 3 weeks…

Strangely enough when I’ve travelling around in ‘funny’ countries that is the time I’m willing to live with the weight of an electric razor to reduce the risk of cuts and dodgy water. Depends of course on getting charged

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Stop shaving and grow one for Movember 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

i’m off to deepest darkest Cambodia in 3 weeks

what others have said. stop shaving & grow a beard

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL!

A Palmolive shave stick @ 49p will last you several months.

A Semogue 620 Boar Brush about £16 including postage and will last you for years.

Get some Personna safety razor blades and you are ready to go.

Fashion? I doubt my grandpa is that fashion-conscious so I guess using DE razor is merely continuing the tried and tested.

I am definitely not one that want to spend silly money for shaving.

🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘OT – shaving’ is closed to new replies.