Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OT: Roadie frame
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I currently have a Trek 1000 that I have upgraded quite a bit since I bought the complete bike, and I have recently been thinking about getting a frameset to swap the parts on to.

Can you please recommend me a decent frameset (frame and forks) for around £500? Would such a frame be an improvement over my Trek frame?

Cheers folks.

oldgit
    Free Member

Tough price break. You’ll have to careful that you don’t just pay for a lump of aluminium with a top name on it.
    Without having done any research myself, I’d start with a good honest brand like Kinesis.
    I’m also not that familiar with Trek frames, but if they’re as good as the basic Giants then you’d probably have to up your budget to find any improvement.

oldgit
    Free Member

In what way do you want the frame to be an improvement.
    For racing, Audax touring etc etc.
    Weight.
    Or just a better look/name.

GJP
    Free Member

Have you considered the s/h route?

Road bikes typically do not have hard lives and they depreciate very quickly. You could get a very nice s/h carbon or Ti road frameset for £500 +/- a bit.

From my experience it will make a very noticeable difference.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I’m not sure that it’s worth £670 but at £270 it must be a bargin and I know it’s not carbon, but it looks like a reasonable Alu’ frame (with Carbon fork) and you’ll still have £230 to waste on fast women and loose cars 😉

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I’d seriously look at “Pedalforce” frames – highly rated and just about in your price bracket.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have to confess that pimping is one of the reasons, but I would prefer something lighter and stiffer, and just a change as much as anything. I don’t race, but do try and train a fair bit on it.

Sven

Also have a look at Principia frames, there are a few lovely road frames for sale at CRC from 2004 – 2006, very ‘classic’ looking and between £300 and £700.
    Principia at CRC

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. I love the look of this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15108

2tyred

Principia, as Sven says.

Chap I ride road with has one, its absolutely stunning, you won’t find an alu frame with better construction. The deals on CRC sadly reflect the fact Principia is no more.

For that money, you want good alu not low-end carbon.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks I’ll have another look.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I did mean to include a link to the Principia frames on CRC in my post, but for some reason it didn’t take, so it just looks like a load of Gibberish, D’oh! Ribble are also having a frame sale, might be worth a look.

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Focus frames on Wiggle, not so pimp maybe but good kit.

snaps
    Free Member

Can you keep road questions on road forums

clwydrider
    Free Member

Cannondale CAAD9?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘OT: Roadie frame’ is closed to new replies.