Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • OT: Road brakes
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I have a Kuota Kharma Race, that has the Kuota branded brake calipers. Firstly, does anyone know whether brake pads designed to fit Shimano brakes will fit these calipers? I’m talking about the pad inserts, not the brake blocks.

Secondly, would it make any difference if I upgraded to Ultegra calipers?

flip
    Free Member

1.Don’t know

2.No

3.Can’t you buy new complete pads and cartridges?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt someone who doesn’t know about the pads knows anything about the calipers…

cheap calipers can be crap, IME there is little improvement above 105. I don’t know whether yours are any good! Cables and pads can also cause poor braking…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt someone who doesn’t know about the pads knows anything about the calipers…

cheap calipers can be crap, IME there is little improvement above 105. I don’t know whether yours are any good! Cables and pads can also cause poor braking…

munrobiker
    Free Member

They’re basically rebranded Tektro brakes on the Kharma and they aren’t particularly good brakes. You will notice a difference swapping to a good Sram set such as Force or a decent Shimano set like 105. Avoid Tiagra/Apex and below.

mikey74
    Free Member

To be honest I have no complaints about the braking performance; it’s just that as i need to replace the pads, i was wondering if it was worth putting some of that money towards new calipers instead.

Edit: Thanks for the info

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve just replaced some tektro inserts, with clarks ‘shimano style’ inserts.

£5.

they work fine.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you’re happy with the braking then just upgrade teh pads to any Shimano compatible cartridge style pad. I think it comes with cartridge pads already so you’ll just need the inserts. Avoid anything that says Campagnolo and you’ll be OK.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Not to start a needless argument but I did notice a significant difference when I went from Ulterga brakes to Dura-Ace.

I keep wondering if those Mavic brakes would be any better too…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘OT: Road brakes’ is closed to new replies.