OT: One for the car experts please

Home Forum Bike Forum OT: One for the car experts please

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • OT: One for the car experts please
  • boblo

Strange problem…. 06 Focus 2L TDCI manual. At an indicated 75mph/2kRPM in 6th, plant the accelerator and revs 'joggle' up and then back down by about 300 to 400 rpm. Initially, no increase in speed just revs.

Not clutch and it only happens when planting the loud pedal at 75mph/2krpm in 6th.

Any ideas please?

sure it's not oil on the clutch plates? although that normally shows itself in 2nd or 3rd

Premier Icon fadda
    Subscriber

Surely it's either slippage in the drivetrain (most likely is the clutch, although that is more likely to manifest in lower gears), or there's something weird going on in the ECU.

First question is – Are the revs actually doing what the tachometer is suggesting? If yes, its drivetrain, if no it's electronics…

boblo

There's no clutch slip. Rev th bol…errr, bejesus out of it in lower gears, nothing. Rev it up in 4th bang the clutch out, nothing but… stall. The clutch is fine.]

Might just be the rev counter in which case; electronics of some sort. I was sure the revs were gpoing up as well as the counter tho which does suggest drivetrain.

Bloody cars!!

Premier Icon fadda
    Subscriber

Try pulling away in too high a gear (3rd/4th or something), and increase revs gradually as the clutch bites – that will test the drivetrain better than loads of revs and dropping the clutch.

If there's no sign of slip, I'm guessing electronics – I'm sure your friendly garage can run some diagnostics for you ( for an "appropriate" fee, as ever!!!)

HTH

I'm sure your friendly garage can run some diagnostics for you ( for an "appropriate" fee, as ever!!!)

Its not actualy that expensive, you can buy fault code readers for £40 or so, then google the fault code.

Does sound like the clutch though.

boblo

Thanks. That's the conclusion I came to. It's having a prong put up it's pipe on Monday……

will

SOunds very much like mine mate. Issue is the clutch.

This is because all that torque is being put through the clutch and not much is happening, where as high up teh rev range you have less torque and more BHP, so no slippage.

2 solutions:
    – new clutch
    – drive to suite, so don't give it beans in low revs, after about 2k you'll be ok.

J0N

If its in gear and reving rapidly without gaining speed then something is slipping. If its not the tyres and its not the gears, as they would be crunching, then surely its the clutch.
    My mates focus has started doing the same thing in 5th as his clutch is on the way out. It will get worse, possibly rapidly depending on how aggressively you drive.

Clutch.

Almost impossible for it to be anything else.

think it'll have one of those stupid/rubbish dual mass flywheels. If you end up getting the clutch replaced ask for them to modify/change the flywheel/clutch arrangement for the old stlye with a solid flywheel and the 'cush drive' back in the centre of the clutch. Wont be much more expensive, if any, and hugely more reliable over time. I expect they'll want to replace the dual mass flywheel when they replace the clutch.

Dual mass flywheels are pants

coffeeking

If the revs are rising (and are actually rising, you can use your ears for that) but no speed change then there's something slipping. There's only one thing that can slip, that's the clutch. It will only do it in 5th-6th at first due to the torque in those gears (it's a lot easier to move the car in lower gears and you'll not spot a slight slip while booting it away in lower gears) and may well feel fine in all other gears. I'd bet my house on it. It may well stall the car, doesn't mean it's not slipping.

Dual mass flywheels are pants

What do they actualy achieve? Do they actualy achieve the holly grail of a flywheel that works only at tickover/low revs? The new ones have some sort of electric flywheel IIRC.

Edit: nothing like I imagined, its just two flywheels with different weights linked by springs.

boblo

Coffeeking, I have a horrible feeling you may be proven correct.

New clutch at 40k? WTF. I've run cars up to 150k on original clutch and never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars – ever.

I do hope it's a bit of crap in a silly sensor….. however……..

coffeeking

Could be something dropping into the clutch (fluid leak) just causing a smidge of slip at times. Fairly easy to hunt for, providing it's not the crank seal. Good luck!

Edit: nothing like I imagined, its just two flywheels with different weights linked by springs.

IIRC they're just 2 flywheel masses (done a few different ways) that disconnect one from the driveline above a certain rev level. In theory they are near the holy grail, in reality they cause a lot of trouble and plenty of people replace them with normal ones!

bassspine

Focii are beasts, it's not clutch, it's wheelspin 🙂

(I love my tdci)

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

Are the Focus 2.0 TDCI not dual mass flywheels? Could it be a problem with with that? They are meant to be very flaky.

boblo

Apparently, when failing, the DMF is noisy at start up (metalic grinding) rather than revs hicupping up the range…

I'm sure the good news will be a new DMF, new clutch, new engine etc etc… Fckuing cars…. Time to change it….

boblo

Update for the interested…

Well it is the clutch amd helpfully you 'have' to change the DMF and the slave cyclinder at the same time 🙁 Ford price: £1200 of your English pounds…

I've priced it up at the independants and the going rate seems to be about £900. The franchised dealer has agreed (read arm up back and gun to head) to do it for £800 and pursue Ford for a contribution.

So chaps; do 40k in a modern diesel and you might need to spunk £900 on a 'clutch'. WTF. And before any errrm helpfull feedback, it is not down to driving style as I've never worn a clutch out in any of my vehicles before (they were all auto ha ha – not really 🙂 ).

Pierre

New clutch at 40k?

Make sure the garage checks for oil leaks near the clutch – my friend's old Mondeo started having clutch problems at around 30k and it turned out there had been a slow oil leak somewhere near the clutch housing, into the clutch housing, and the plates were contaminated and had to be replaced. It was only because his friend runs an independent garage that they spent a while finding the source of the leak, his friend said a Ford garage would probably just have replaced the clutch, for it to oil up and fail in another 30k miles or so…

: P

boblo

Well after a new dual mass flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder (apparently they need to be swapped as 'matched parts and were all worn beyond service limits….), I'm £600 lighter. The local dealer helped a lot with the price afetr much aggro and pressure from me and now for Ford…..

Hopefully I have a car that can now limp along for another 40k before needing an extraodinarily costly repair. Turbo anyone?

My next motah will likely be petrol, mid powered and DMF less. There is a price to pay for bigger and bigger diesel engines and it should be facyored into your buying decision.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘OT: One for the car experts please’ is closed to new replies.