Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • OT – Horse riding leg wear
  • jonba
    Free Member

As before, pushing the limits of what stw is capable of…

I’m off on two riding holidays this year and need some more legwear.

I currently wear cotton jods as I have ankle (Ariat) boots. I’ve been looking for some new options and have ordered and returned about 6 pairs so far (rugged horse, decathlon, mark todd).

Ideally I’d like jods or something equally long. I have long legs and breeches are pushing it even with half chaps. Also jods seem to be fat more accommodating to my shape. I have large cycling thighs but a smallish waist so I’m really struggling to find anything that fits, hence all the returns.

They can’t be cotton as I’m off to Iceland and chances are I’ll get wet. They also can’t be too hot as I’m also off to Spain earlier in the year.

I’m reluctantly leaning towards some very stretch tights as at least they will be comfortable, even if a bit ridiculous. I’ll be riding for up to 8 hours each day as we change horses.

Can’t find anything and shops have been useless. About 40 options for women and someone disappearing into the back for the sole men’s options is typical.

Suggestions welcome.

br
    Free Member

My wife’s collection seems mainly Pikeur, and like riding gear you need different materials for different weather. And either long boots or those funny gaiter things.

They can’t be cotton as I’m off to Iceland and chances are I’ll get wet. They also can’t be too hot as I’m also off to Spain earlier in the year.

🙄

You wouldn’t expect a single pair of shorts/longs/tights etc to do that for cycling in Iceland and Spain…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

have ordered and returned about 6 pairs so far

I’d go to a decent shop instead and start there! Where are you based?

FWIW, SCATS can be excellent value for hacking kit.

jonba
    Free Member

You wouldn’t expect a single pair of shorts/longs/tights etc to do that for cycling in Iceland and Spain…

No but I don’t want thermal ones which seem to be the predominant synthetic sort. It won’t be that cold so I’d prefer summer weight.

I’d go to a decent shop instead and start there! Where are you based?

Newcastle – I’ve visited plenty of shops but found little. They just don’t carry men’s kit. Down in Surrey in March and my wife knows some better places down there.

chris23
    Free Member

I use Mark Todd as they are pleated at the front, don’t like em tight. The Jeffries are very good, & they are elastic around the ankle instead of velcro (bit more comfortable)
    A couple of my friends use womans as choice for men is so poor, I aint going that route though. Pikeur do so very nice mens breachers but its hard to find some one stocking them

chiefgrooveguru

Well this is very annoying. I have two excellent pairs of 100% nylon jodhpurs that I’ve worn for all my horse-riding for years, which I got from The Dragonfly Saddlery (was Ditchling, now Hassocks), which have done sterling service in all weathers, from African safari to British winters. I can’t find any identification on them (other than 100% nylon and made in UK) but I remember them being quite expensive, like £40 odd. Dragonfly don’t sell them anymore and nor does anyone else it seems… What am I going to do when they wear out? I don’t want stupid cotton jodhpurs, nor do I want stretchy ones, despite these being a bastard to get on and off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘OT – Horse riding leg wear’ is closed to new replies.