Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • OT Guttering – soffits ball park figure
  • brack
    Free Member

Trying to avoid being ripped off…

Just had a quote ( will obv get others) but roughly how much price wise to have the entire guttering and soffits (plastic) replaced on a standard sized 3 bedroomed semi detached property.

Price to incl removal, replacement and disposal

Cheers

redthunder
    Free Member

DIY

trail_rat
    Free Member

are they already plastic or are you removing wooden or asbestos ?

make sure they dont try and put the new ones OVEr the old ones.

brack
    Free Member

Wooden at mo

wrightyson
    Free Member

How olds the house?

brack
    Free Member

1930 s

wrightyson
    Free Member

I only ask because the bottom section of felt that laps into the gutter usually rots dependant on age. A 30’s house might not have felt unless its been reroofed so may not be an issue. I reckon £750, Close?

brack
    Free Member

Well ive been given a quote

Replace all wood with white upvc sofits and black guttering.

Downpipes x 1

Plus small lean to at rear of property – guttering and soffit

He has also said he will push a few tiles back in to place, re grout chimney top

Wait for it – £2000

dyls

My parents were quoted £2500 inc vat for soffits, guttering for the house and garage recently.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

We paid £1500 for a 4 bed detached. Removed all old wood and replaced with upvc also all new down pipes. Price included all access and vat. I thought it was a decent price.

geoffj

£2k seems in the right sort of ball park.
    Ask for a breakdown of labour and materials?

qwerty
    Free Member

We had quotes from between £1500 – £2500, i did it myself for £500.

None of the quotes included eaves protectors, most of them just wanted to cover board over the existing rotted wooden facia & soffits.

I googled a lot, found a local supplier to the trade and picked his brains and brought all i needed from him.

Took 4 days for me to do (had to remove the bottom 3 courses of tiles and a baton to fit the eaves protectors).

Plus i treated / replaced all the rotten timber.

Mine is a bungalow so i hired tresles from TP.

footflaps

£2000 does seem a hell of a lot for some plastic and a day or two of labour…

EDIT: My house still has the original 1890s soffits and a lot of my neighbours still have the 1890s cast iron guttering….

wrightyson
    Free Member

£750 I said.
    2k is pants down territory!
    Materials.
    2 lengths of fascia £60
    2 lengths of soffit £20
    End caps bits and bobs £50
    1 box polytop nails £10
    1 box polytop pins £10
    3 lengths gutter £25
    2 lengths dpipe £20
    Clips bits and bobs £50
    Total £245.
    Tower Scaff £35/week
    Skip £120 6yd
    That’s basic I admit.
    Bout £400

Days work. 2 men and I’d be very happy with the other £350

footflaps

£35/week does seem cheap for a Tower Scaffold, I was paying something like £80/week for 4m platform for the workshop from a local Builder’s merchant, with a trade account.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Then you were paying more than double what I pay flaps. 😉 Admittedly I can’t be arsed to fetch it and paid fiver eway transport, thats a double with deck height of 3.2m. That’s as current a price as it gets btw as it was delivered at 10 this morning.

project
    Free Member

Be aware, of dodgy practices, and unless youre confident on ladders with a mate leave it to a proffesionals

theotherjonv

I helped my neighbour to do our run of 4 terraced houses earlier this year, he got all the materials trade, but good quality stuff ( was doing his place as part of it so wasn’t going to fit crap stuff) plus all the hire of scaffold towers, etc., and we all paid about £900 including his labour cost. Which was probably mates rates, but it is his job too so no-one begrudges paying him for doing it. Mine’s the end one so effectively a 3 bed semi.

I had a quote from a recommended local firm last year as well and that was about £1400 for the same job.

So your £2000 is a fair stretch from that but equally doing it for £750 is I think significantly underpriced, and you should put your prices up!!

brack
    Free Member

Thanks for replies guys..

He has come back to me today saying he has overpriced – and now job will cost £1750

But

That’s fixing over old wooden boards ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Now I’m no expert….

but as this is t’interwebs…

that sounds like a complete bodge which is just asking for trouble downstream (when matey and your £££ have long since gone).

qwerty
    Free Member

That’s fixing over old wooden boards ?

If you’re doing the place up to sell on then this could be the way to go, but if you’re looking to stay put you could be leaving yourself open to problems further down the line.

From outside what’s the current condition of the woodwork? Is it visibly rotten? If so the roof timbers underneath are worth of inspection, treating and/or replacing.

As already said above if the roof felt was run into the gutter it’s probably now long gone, so eaves protectors could / should be used (they may offer to shove some dpc under instead). Ask them about this.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tell him to walk! For one it makes the job a hell of a lot easier , and capping board is cheaper than new fascia. It isn’t particularly bad practice especially if the timber is in reasonable condition but like i say it could be done for £750 but I reckon a grand is about right. Where abouts are you? Anyone on your local council “trusted trader” list. F I law got a cracking price and job (reroof) in Derbyshire from a bloke on the list.

richc
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? As if you are near Bristol my cousin does this; and he gets 90% of the jobs he quotes for, and only gets work from recommendations so he must be OK.

If you do pick someone at random, be careful as a lot of travellers do soft fits (as its a piece of piss, to make it look OK) so if you have issues you have zero comeback.

cogglepin

I had my 3 bed semi done a couple of years back for £ 750

longwayhome
    Free Member

Just had the front of my largish terraced house in Bristol with bay window done for £350. Had another quote for the same.

Scaffolding was already there for some stone work.

Multiply for 3 say for your semi as opposed to front of terrace, minus a bit for straight runs rather than bay windows, add a couple of hundred for scaffolding and I reckon £1200 would be a good price.

ross980
    Free Member

I was going to get mine done but haven’t bothered. I only got one quote – £1400 all in with downpipes, taking the bottom 3 layers of tiles off, replacing the ends and disposing of the asbestos (1950s semi). I’d say the OP’s quote is very steep

thegreatape
    Free Member

I paid £800 for new fascias, guttering, drainpipes and soil pipe on a 3 bed semi

br
    Free Member

One way of saving cash is to find a sole non-VAT trader to do the work, buying the materials yourself – 20% saved on labour plus sole-traders have lower overheads, so double-saving.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So I reckon I was about spot on! 😉
    Who’d guess I did this for a living…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘OT Guttering – soffits ball park figure’ is closed to new replies.