Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • OT: Few hrs to kill in birmingham centre tomorrow. what to do?
  • grueller
    Free Member

Waiting for daughter and mates at a gig. Thought about going for a short run. Any decent parks near the centre?
    Cheers

prawny

Nope. There’s an amazing coffee shop though. What time you out?

grueller
    Free Member

about 7.30 til 11. coffee could be a fitness substitute

prawny

Gah, just checked they shut at 6. Um, Wetherspoons?

grueller
    Free Member

ah, don’t fancy their chances of getting home if I go down that route!
    cheers

jamj1974

Ashas Indian restaurant.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Take in an IMax movie?

lunge

Cannon Hill Park is about 1 mile from the centre, follow signs for the MAC or Edgebaston Cricket Ground, it’s opposite the latter.

Or, take your bike and go and ride some urban stuff, there are lots of steps and drops to play on, just follow your nose and you’ll find something. The canal is a good place to start as is the The Mailbox.

If you decide a pub may be your best bet a few to try are:
    The Post Office Vault – 350 beers to try in a great little dirty bar.
    MPW @ Mailbox – A bit pretentious but has great views over the city.
    The Actress and Bishop – Over towards the Jewelry Quarter, a bit of a dive but good music and a great atmosphere
    The Old Contemptible’s – A Birmingham institution, good beer, my Dad’s favourite pub!
    There are loads more, if you want some more ideas post back!

And if you’re not drinking just take a wander around, it’s really quite a nice city. Head to the Mailbox for a coffee maybe, walk around the canal’s towards Brindley Place, the area around Snowhill Station and towards St Paul’s sqaure is nice and the lounge at Hotel du Vin is not a bad place if you’re no drinking.

kayak23

Electric cinema?
    Or yeah, run along the canals. It has more miles than Venice Doncha know… 🙂

Daffy

Go checkout the new library?

winch
    Free Member

I’d second taking a run along the canal. More specifically, I’d join the canal at the Symphony Hall (you can walk through to reach the canal at the back). You cross a bridge then you want to head to the left. This takes you along quite a scenic stretch of the canal and out towards the university. If thats not far enough then you can detour when you reach ‘the vale’ (a very nice park en circled by student halls but will be very quite at the moment).

prawny

I wouldn’t recoomend running along the canals in the dark. I used to walk to walk along the canals sometimes and the amount of times I had to avoid human faeces would make me think twice about going down there at night.

The new library is meant to be good. Or maybe some jazz at the yardbird?

lunge

Yardbird is a good shout actually, I’m fact there are plenty of live music venues if that is what you want.

grueller
    Free Member

cheers all

TheWrongTrousers

Funnily enough, I rode down the canal from the Mailbox all the way to Worcester the other day and very pleasant it was too.

takisawa2

Me…I’d have a stroll up to The Old Joint Stock on Temple Row, at Pigeon Park. (by the Cathedral). Tis nice in in there.

Weatherspoons in B’ham is a god forsaken place. 😥

hatter

Go for a run round Cannon Hill park then go for a proper nice meal HERE maybe.

As said previously I’d avoid the quieter bits of the Canals after dark, there be ruffians.

pondo

+1 for Sabai Sabai. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Funnily enough, I rode down the canal from the Mailbox all the way to Worcester the other day and very pleasant it was too.

Apart from the estate over the wast hill tunnel surely?

For real ale go to the welly

TheWrongTrousers

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Apart from the estate over the wast hill tunnel surely?

For real ale go to the welly

Oh yeah, that’s true, I had wiped that from my memory …..

rOcKeTdOg

it’s for the best 😯

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘OT: Few hrs to kill in birmingham centre tomorrow. what to do?’ is closed to new replies.