Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • OT; Bonkers dog breeds – the new wave of breed names…
  • neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Our old doggie died a month ago – 13 yrs old.
    13yrs ago – there appeared to be 2 strains of dogs.
    Pedigree or Heinz 57
    Looking on a website 'pets4home' – mongrels (Heinz 57) have all gone upmarket and now have wierd and wonderful 'breed names'
    Cockapoos for sale, sprotties for sale, Jackadoodles for sale – all very expensive 'mongrels'. Are mongrel dogs suddenly fashion items where one off mongrel breeds are now more sought after than pure pedigrees? Have I just lost the plot when it comes to choosing a dog?
    Thoughts and strange breed names welcome.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Mother in law has a Labradoodle. We have proper dogs (greyhounds)!

brakes
    Free Member

I have an Irish Wolf Chihuahua

Jase
    Free Member

If you ask me its a con, call a mongrel a fancy name and charge the earth for it.

Drac

They're supposed to have a certain generation of breeding before they can carry the names, however people just clag the breeds together and call them by the new names.

DezB
    Free Member

Someone on here proudly anounced their dog as a labradoodle.. I think I'd keep it very quiet, not cos of the type of dog, just the STUPID NAME!

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I think Fifi is a great name Dez 😉

You'll meet her on a ride sometime and see she is a great biking dog too!

Alex

anagallis_arvensis

to be honest its been going on with lurchers for a very long time.

Drac

Well technically it's happened for centuries but we have to ignore that so we can mock the new breeds.

luked2
    Free Member

We have proper dogs (greyhounds)!

+1!

Laziest dog In the World though.

Sometimes I have to prod him just to check he hasn't died!

DezB
    Free Member

I think I'll breed mine with a Cocker Spaniel and call the pups Short-Haired German Cock Pointers.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Well technically it's happened for centuries but we have to ignore that so we can mock the new breeds.

I am not mocking "breeds" as such, the animals are what they are but the fancy name seems to have in most cases masked the fact that the dogs are mongrels – hence in my opinion the high asking prices – most being £200 plus

Drac

Like I said they're supposed to be from several generations before they have the name. But many just breed the two breeds and call them by the new name. All breeds started off as mongrels for example border terriers are only about 100 years old.

sweepy
    Free Member

I want an Abyssinian wire haired tripe hound

hora
    Free Member

Pics please.

sweepy
    Free Member

there you go, im afraid its the only one 🙁

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I have an Irish Wolf Chihuahua

😆 😆

unovolo
    Free Member

Labradoodle
    Cockapoo or Cockadoodle
    Puggle
    Cavoodle
    Pomchi
    Yorkiepoo
    Jackahuahua
    Schnoodle

Go to Australia,they love these things and don't seem to want Pure breeds anymore.

richc
    Free Member

That's because they have less genetic issues

skidartist
    Free Member

That's because they have less genetic issues

Mongrels or Australians?

petrieboy

Labrasaurus here – lab (probably) crossed with something enormous and unidentified. Rescue dogs FTW. The current vouge for labradoodles and such only encorage irresponsible breeding from people that think they are going to get £700 a pup.

anagallis_arvensis

petrieboy, given the irresponsible breeding of pedigree dogs I'm not sure it matters. The rise in popularity of cross breeds is due too increased coverage and awareness of genetic problems in pure breeds.

Drac

Labradoodles were bred for low allergies to humans and to help with guide dogs. Bog all to do with genetics.

anagallis_arvensis

well it is to do with genetics but thats just the pedant in me….. Are you telling me all the labradoodles I see in the parks have blind owners because they dont seem blind. What dogs were bred for has very little to do with why they get popular, how many fishermen own labradors?

Drac

No not at all but that's how they started but sadly yes now they're bred to make money.

llama

My inlaws got a mini-doodle

Cost them £1000+. In advance. BEFORE CONCEPTION!

and they had to be vetted by the breeder to make sure they were a suitable home.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘OT; Bonkers dog breeds – the new wave of breed names…’ is closed to new replies.