Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • OT – Best sounding engine?
  • YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Any Ducati V twin. 4 cylinder 2 stroke 500s from the 80s and the Spitfire(I’m Stoke born and bred)

hot_fiat

Any flat plane V8 at full tilt (Lotus Esprit, TVR Speed 8), Napier Deltic, KTM LC8, Alfa 3.0 V6 – but not the GM-sourced miserable whining heap that they now fit.

renton
    Free Member

my old mk4 gold v5 with stainless exhaust !! or my mates TL1000 with akropovic cans , it used to set all the car alarms off when he went up the street!!

lammy
    Free Member

have to say jag e-type v12 pretty sweet, but my fave is the audi s4, the 4.2 v8 version. That is sick!

Filthy
    Free Member

Top fuel V8 with a mahoosive charger on it… more of a feel than a sound, I quite like the sound of a flat 4 too but it has to be in a VW not a scooby with a stupid phssst valve

coffeeking
    Free Member

For idling about the roads, good accel noise – normal 90 degree-cranked V8.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DfAKrG8DSg
    For all-out balls-to-the-wall screaming – flat plane V8.

aP
    Free Member

1992, redlining 911 Carrera CS, in northern Mississippi, chasing a 1970 Stingray LT-1, after Beaux Arts Ball, on acid, heading for the chill out.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Sorry but This is the best sounding car (about 18 secs in)

twohats
    Free Member

The 6 litre V12 in the McLaren F1.

Crap clip, but that sound at 40 seconds in…

And if you can put up with the numpty who can’t drive for shit who is badly ragging the shit out of his newly picked up F1, and a horrible screeching woman who needs kicking out of the car, there are some fantastic engine sounds in this one

That guy should never have been allowed to own such a fantastic, fine piece of engineering…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

any TVR, beats the pants of the lot

hot_fiat

any TVR, beats the pants of the lot

Hmmm…. The Speed 12s sounded OK when they were new, but since they fabricated the blocks from old scaffolding poles and bits of B&Q plumbing they didn’t sound that way for very long.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Another vote for the Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

That sound struck terror into the hearts of Jerry it did.

singlecrack
    Free Member
    snaps
    Free Member

This takes some beating on full chat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNVJztFYF4U&feature=related

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

F40

F50

FXX

Diablo Jotta

TVR Cerbera and Speed 12 deserve a mention too. I’ll take one of each please, and Miura.

scaredypants

Good sound, but GREAT VIDEO ! – suppose most have seen it before though

Oh, and my Caterham with a ford cross-flow in it – great engines, made for everyone

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ll never tire of a highly tuned subaru flat 4 with a good through exhaust, like in my P1 which I owned quite a few years ago. Alpina’s sound superb too.

Gary_C

Back in the Group B rally era,it would have to be the Sport Quattro,with the Metro 6R4 a close second.

Back in the day owned a couple of mk2 RS2000’s,the second one had twin 45’s,421 tubular manifold,straight thro single box exhaust,that sounded fantastic!!!!(If tiring on a long journey!)

johnhoo
    Free Member

tbh the videos of the spits/lancs etc do not do it justice.

I called in at Duxford on my way home from our window factory a couple of years ago. Did all the museum things, then as I came out of the last one I saw a glint of sunlight over the main museum hanger.

It was a twin seater Spit in Dutch colours, and it promptly did a whole display just for me 🙂

Phoned mrsH as it did a fly by & said “listen to this” “wow, what’s that?” she asked. “Spitfire” I replied…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

A TVR passed a few of us on the London pootle last Sunday; sounded like Satan gargling with a load of pebbles.

mildred

A mate has just fitted a Yoshimura can to his spanking Fireblade – I heard him cane it and I must admit i did a love wee wee.

probably not the best but the best I’ve heard in a long while.

WTF
    Free Member

My VR6 engine because it`s mine.

chopperT
    Free Member

Porsche 911 3.0RSR, on megaphones.

Hear it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I2LEl3sRTQ

leeph
    Free Member

Metro 6R4 – on full attack mode, on a stage in Kielder.

my mates 1.3 five door never sounded the same somehow!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

The sound of a Calloway tuned Corvette at Le Mans is one of the most incredible noises,I`ve heard but its possibly beaten by the noise of a Lister tuned Jag V12,I once heard that was fitted to a hevily modifed XJS.
    Your first experience of an F1 car in full cry is a pretty,special moment too.

BoardinBob

A colleague in my US office has an old Chevy truck that he restored and tuned up. He’s got a 7 litre V8 in it and the last time I was over he showed me round the car and started it up. 😯 😯 😯

I’ve never heard anything like this. As soon as he blipped the throttle I burst out laughing. Not because it sounded bad. It just reduced you to fits of laughter because it was so good.

Marge
    Free Member

Another vote for the Metro 6R4….

Revving a V6 out past the 10k. I remember rallying on Otterburn in the dark some years ago with a stage starting at the bottom of a hill. Hearing the 6R4 rev its way up the gearbox was just unforgettable.

I enjoy many of the aforementioned engines but only the 6R4 makes me shiver 🙂

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

The Speed 12s sounded OK when they were new, but since they fabricated the blocks from old scaffolding poles and bits of B&Q plumbing they didn’t sound that way for very long.

Erm… theres only 1 Speed 12 in existance…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Triumph triples at full tilt – you get a wierd worbling banshee scream of an engine note, overlaid by a HUGE induction roar… then as the throttle closes an entirely addictive deep bass note enters the equation. Utterly magnificent!

Those and V-Twins just do it for me – the larger the capacity the better. In cars, got to be a V8. But once you start with bikes then cars are just all trousers really – lot of noise and not that much action 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member
    BoardinBob

The “wub wub wub” sound of a boxer engine on full tile is 8)

MrSparkle

I believe these sound quite nice…

Lionheart
    Free Member

Dukes especially the older ones, the Merlin, but how about an ERA at full chat around Goodwood – like ripping cloth! wish I could find a vid or audio

nasher
    Free Member

The San Remo historic car rally came through out village on Saturday, and alot of the old cars have an awesome rumble tothem.

IMO modern cars are a bit whinny especially Ferrari V*’s.

What you cant beat tho is a Lambo Murcielago in 3rd gear flooring through the tunnels of the autostrada…simply aawesome, especially during the monaco F1 when everyone is out in their supercars.

BoardinBob

I can’t access Youtube at work but have a look for a video of Ari Vatanen in the Pikes Peak rally.

catnash
    Free Member

For me it’s a MG6R4 in full anger in a Welsh Forest Valley.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

My RS6 V8 with Milltek pipes or my old Scoob with straight through exhaust. Lovely pops an bangs on the overrun.

You can’t beat a Ferrari on full chat for raising the hairs on your neck though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The funny thing with the sound of the lub lub lub of a scoob engine is that the main reason it sounds that way is the unequal length manifold used to get the exhaust across to one side for routing out to the rear, if you listen to one with a proper equal length/tuned manifold it sounds like a normal straight 4 (and gains about 20lbft of torque). If you screw up your manifold design on a normal straight 4 you get the same loss of power and lub lub sound 😆 Always made me chuckle that everyones love of the noise was apparently based on a bad design. If you listen to the proper WRC engines they do not have the same issue.

Anything with a large turbo attached sounds great, this one takes the mick a bit and ends with tears!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/CRAZIEST-SUPRA-ON-EARTH_67098.htm

twohats
    Free Member

Group B Audi S1

Best viewed with the volume high…

juan
    Free Member

old school thumpers with a big and shiny stainless steel exhaust

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘OT – Best sounding engine?’ is closed to new replies.