Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • OT: Apple Mac user – BSOD often?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

p/s: the system hang is caused by MBAM just now so I had to reboot … arrghhh …

I’d uninstall it, even if it’s just temporarily as a troubleshooting step, see if that cures your problem. Then, go back to MBAM for support on the software you’ve paid for, or pursue a refund.

You said you’d run scans, but that might be for naught if your AV is SNAFUed by an infection. That’s why I suggested an online scanner.

Thanks Cougar for your advice. Highly appreciated. 😀

Yes, just did an Online scan as advised.
    It crashed half way through the 1st scan with BSOD … surprise, surprise. 😆
    I then tried it again in SafeMode with Network and downloaded latest definition and this time it managed to scan. Found two: Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask Application, but nothing serious as I did not even installed one of them. So deleted them. The Toolbar.Ask is harmless. Apart from that nothing else is found.

After that I check the Event Viewer to see what cause the BSOD with Online Scan … lo and behold! … it conflicted with other Anti-software I have real-time. 😆

I am keeping MBAM but I think I will not enable the Real-Time protection (I do have the paid Pro version too by the way) to see how it goes … arrgghh … the Real-Time protection trial is going to end in 3 days.

I have a feeling that I will see Mac Mini on my desk in few weeks time … arrghhh … but will still keep messing with this one.

I am really fed up with all those virus/malware and anti-software that I need to install with Microsoft. Well, if there is no conflict I will stick with Microsoft but for now a major headache.

😯

p/s: Mrs Toast what are you using now? PC or Mac?

retro83
    Free Member

did you run memtest?

And just remove all the anti-virus/malware software completely for now. Check if it’s stable, then reintroduce things one at a time until the problem reoccurs.

chewkw
    Free Member

retro83 – Member

did you run memtest?

And just remove all the anti-virus/malware software completely for now. Check if it’s stable, then reintroduce things one at a time until the problem reoccurs.

Haven’t done the memtest yet because I need to find a spare USB stick … 😕

I cannot remove all the anti-software as I need to use it urgently in the next few days so will leave it on for now except perhaps disable the real-time protection on MBAM.

😥

MrsToast
    Free Member

p/s: Mrs Toast what are you using now? PC or Mac?

PC, both at work and at home. Never had any real problems with any of them, with the exception of an exciting RAID failure on one of my elderly work PCs. Nowt was lost though. \o/

Cougar

You know,

It’s common knowledge that MSE and MBAM play well together; however, in hindsight I wonder if that’s just in relation to the free version.

Generally, AV products can’t co-exist, as you’ve got two pieces of software trying to do the same thing. You can end up with race conditions where one quarantines a file, the second quarantines the quarantined file, the first re-quarantines the file back again and so on until your PC dies on its arse. </oversimplification>

Logically then, that’s the case here. You’ve got two pieces of software both trying to do real-time scanning. I don’t know if this is actually true or not as I’m making it up, but I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that if you were to remove MSE then your problem would go away.

(And of course, disabling the real-time MBAM component would do the same thing, but that’s not really the point I’m making…)

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

You know,

It’s common knowledge that MSE and MBAM play well together; however, in hindsight I wonder if that’s just in relation to the free version.

Yes, most people talk about the free version without real time protection so no conflict there. But then there are many that also say no conflict using both … arrghhh … I know one is Anti-virus while the other is Anti-malware doing different things. Some even suggested that even when they are different they do overlap each other at times. arrgghhh … 😡 Bloody software.

Generally, AV products can’t co-exist, as you’ve got two pieces of software trying to do the same thing. You can end up with race conditions where one quarantines a file, the second quarantines the quarantined file, the first re-quarantines the file back again and so on until your PC dies on its arse. </oversimplification>

Yes, that make sense but then I never seen anything be quarantined which is odd …

Logically then, that’s the case here. You’ve got two pieces of software both trying to do real-time scanning. I don’t know if this is actually true or not as I’m making it up, but I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that if you were to remove MSE then your problem would go away.

Yes, both real-time so I am planning to disable MSE real-time protection rather than MBAM. I cannot remove MSE because Windows Defender will appear in it’s place and the problem will continue.

(And of course, disabling the real-time MBAM component would do the same thing, but that’s not really the point I’m making…)

I prefer the real-time protection of MBAM more than MSE, so will disable the MSE realtime protection to see how it goes.

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

D’oh! When I disabled MSE real-time protection I kept getting Action Centre pop up telling me I was at risk. Very annoying.

So I now enable MSE real-time protection but instead disable real-time protection from MBAM … 😐

oh ya … pc is fast at the moment. No problem with speed.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you can stay off the internet with it, you can probably disable both. [unless you actually think you have a virus]

Also – you can run memtest from a CD/DVD or Ext. HDD. It’s just a waste to write a 1mB file to a CD or DVD.

chewkw
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

If you can stay off the internet with it, you can probably disable both. [unless you actually think you have a virus]

Also – you can run memtest from a CD/DVD or Ext. HDD. It’s just a waste to write a 1mB file to a CD or DVD.

Unfortunately, I need to use the internet to communicate with others in other part of the world. Part of my job. Everything is internet nowadays.

Yes, will definitely try memtest on Saturday as I have urgent matter to deal with in the next two days. arrghhh …

At the moment it’s conducting itself nicely without fighting with each other internally (MSE vs MBAM) 🙄

Internet surfing speed is also fast. :mrgreen:

How long this will last I do not know. 😐

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Dude – you’ve got to run Memtest! I’d guess you have a memory error -it’s free, man, why not?

SMART is Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology and allows you to tell if your hard drive is about to fail. It is not infallible, but an extended test can be run for free by several programs. It’s worth checking as failing hard drives can load or save corrupt data and bugger the PC up. Usually you’ll find it just hangs as the drive as the drive fails to read a sector and the PC waits for that ’till you loose patience and restart.

However, sometimes other funny issues pop up with a failing HDD so it’s worth running a test even if only to rule it out.

Try this in Windows. Download and install Speedfan then head over to the SMART tab and run extended tests on your drive(s). I usually also read the report, which is where it sends the test data to a website which gives you a more intelligible interpretation of the jargon returned. If nothing fails, I wouldn’t get worried about it, but it might show up your problem. You can also use it to monitor and graph your various sensor temps*.

It’s the same with Memtest+ – you need to eliminate things at this point.

If it’s neither of these I’d be guessing PSU as next most likely.

*Some mobo temps may be higher than you expect, my EX58 board has the chipset up to 80. Well it did ’till I removed the stupid decorative sticker that covered most it. Thanks Gigabyte, really well thought out. 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

Cheers gofasterstripes …

Will do that this evening.

PSU is new.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

‘K

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Any luck?

chewkw
    Free Member

Update.

24 days without a single glitches since I disabled real time protection from MBAM by setting it to on-demand only.

I think I should have excluded more files from MBAM in MSE vice versa but for now things seem to be fine, but once I set up my other system I will try the new technique to see if it works.

MBAM On-demand is fine but would be great if I can set it back to real time as I have two paid licenses …

🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘OT: Apple Mac user – BSOD often?’ is closed to new replies.