Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)
  • ot: 50cc scooters – any thoughts? Peugeots ok?
  • flow
    Free Member

WTF are you going on about, I even posted the definition of a moped for you.

Mopeds are a type of low-powered motorcycle designed to provide economical and relatively safe transport with minimal licensing requirements. In most countries, the legal driving age for a moped is lower than for regular motorcycles and cars. Mopeds are typically restricted to 50 km/h (30 mph) from a maximum engine displacement of 49 cc (3.0 cu in), though there are a few variations.

The title of the thread is

ot: 50cc scooters – any thoughts? Peugeots ok?

Making the scooter in question a moped.

Are you really that thick?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can you not understand? You keep posting as if scooters and mopeds are synonyms. PP clearly referred to a scooter not a moped and you told him he was wrong because you think scooter = moped

flow
    And for the record, a scooter is a moped.

supertramp
    Free Member

do I have to take a CBT? I passed a car test in the mid 80’s and it says on my licence i have a ‘full’ licence for 50cc.

out of interest a moped was a bike with a motor and pedals hence mo-ped.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

supertramp = I think you don’t you used to get moped licenses with car ones years ago

supertramp
    Free Member

cheers TJ, I assumed not as it seems silly to have to do a CBT if you have a full licence, but it might be a good idea anyway.

flow
    Free Member

Can you not understand? You keep posting as if scooters and mopeds are synonyms. PP clearly referred to a scooter not a moped and you told him he was wrong because you think scooter = moped

I actually give up with you TJ, you are beyond thick.

supertramp
    Free Member

Hasn’t ‘moped’just become a generic term for any small scooter/motorbike now? a word like hoover?

for clarification here is a real moped (pedals and a motor!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-PUCH-CLASSIC-50-MOPED-READY-RIDE-/260886278199?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3cbe08b037

molgrips
    Free Member

Moped surely is a specific classification with regards power/weight ratio and top speed?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed a moped is a classification.

supertramp – Member

Hasn’t ‘moped’just become a generic term for any small scooter/motorbike now?

No = a moped is a distinct classification. some scooters are mopeds, some are not.

Under 50 cc and under 30 mph for a moped

flow
    Free Member

Hasn’t ‘moped’just become a generic term for any small scooter/motorbike now? a word like hoover?

Exactly

Which is why I said

Do your CBT and a 125 bike instead of a 50cc moped/scooter whtever the **** you want to call it.

They accelerates quicker, stops quicker, have bigger wheels so are a lot more stable, they can go faster so you are not always being overtaken – which is dangerous.

supertramp
    Free Member

just to stir things up, if we take the original meaning ‘pedals and a motor’ and think about early scooters (vespa and Lambretta) none of them had pedals (?)

molgrips
    Free Member

Hasn’t ‘moped’just become a generic term for any small scooter/motorbike now?

I don’t think so. I know the difference between a moped and a scooter and I’m not even slightly into motorbikes.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I knew it was possible for menstrual cycles to syncronise with women sharing a house, but didn’t know it was possible over a forum.

Anyway, can someone buy this:

http://autotrader.mobi/used-bikes/advert/201143425169644/viewing-1?PHPSESSID=65lkjmnkvg9nmbmpedecq4hmt5

Before I have to.

Cheers.

flow
    Free Member

I don’t think so. I know the difference between a moped and a scooter and I’m not even slightly into motorbikes.

A 50cc scooter is a moped, are you TJ’s love child?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

contradictiuoing yourself now flow? after all you put the definition up

Remember PP and myself actually have the experience of riding, you think your car is faster than a bike FFS.
    😆

A moped is a specific vehicle class of under 50 cc and under 30 mph. a scooter is a type of motorcycle that is a stepthru design. some have big wheels, some small, some are mopeds, some are not

flow
    Free Member

Remember PP and myself actually have the experience of riding

And what the **** is that about, I have had a bike licence for 7 years, 5 of them I was riding a bike everyday because I didn’t have a car.

Stop talking shit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ohhh – give it to me bigboy 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

I love it when you talk dirty

flow
    Free Member

Northwind

flow – Member

A 50cc scooter is a moped,

No. A 50cc scooter limited to 50kmh/h is a moped.

flow
    Free Member

flow – Member
    A 50cc scooter is a moped,

No. A 50cc scooter is a moped.

Thanks for clarifying that Northwind.

supertramp
    Free Member

scooters and mopeds do seem to bring out the worst in some people 🙄

maybe you should get a car 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flow – you clearly know less than eff all about bikes having claimed that your car was faster than a 600 touring bike when it wasn’t. You now claim scooters are mopeds when thy are not and also claim all scooters have little wheels – when they do not

You also talk a load of pish about the capabilities of scooters that anyone who actually has any experience knows what you say is wrong.

A small scooter is the best commuter – I’d go for an 80 / 100 myself

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fourbanger

always fancied one of them but it does lack the practicality of most scooters

flow
    Free Member

This is what the debate was the first place, not what is or isn’t a moped.

I said

Do a CBT for £90 and get a 125cc bike, much safer than a small wheeled moped.

Because the OP is talking about a 50cc

To which PP said

That’s mid information at best, poor advice would be a better description.

Please tell me
    A) how many miles you’ve done on scooters (I’ve done a good 20000-30000 at the very least, and probably 150000 on motorbikes)
    B) why a 125 bike is any safer based on your knowledge

I get sick of anti scooter bias by people that don’t know a thing about them.

My reply

Because generally they accelerates quicker, stops quicker, have bigger wheels so are a lot more stable, they can go faster so you are not always being overtaken – which is dangerous.

TJ – You keep talking mate, no one is listening.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh look – a large wheeled scooter that is not a moped 🙂

edit = yes – and your reply is wrong as has been pointed out

You keep using scooter and moped as synonyms – they are nbot

flow
    Free Member

You are so thick its comical.

My reply would be wrong if the thread wasn’t about a 50cc scooter, but it is, dont you get it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Would anyone care to explain why being able to accelerate faster is safer?

Accelerating out of trouble is virtually impossible in my experience unless you have an extremely powerful car. Braking is much much safer.

Flow – just chill the fk out. If you disagree, state your case nicely. Otherwise f off. Simply dishing out abuse over a small technical point is not nice.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The term moped describes any low-powered motor driven cycle with an engine capacity not greater than 50 cc (3.1 cu in) and a maximum design speed of no more than 50 km/h (31 mph). Machines registered prior to 1 September 1977 as mopeds had to have pedals, but engine power was unrestricted, and many could top 50 mph (80 km/h) (most famously the Yamaha FS1-E or “Fizzy”).
    A provisional license, full motorcycle or car license is needed to operate a moped. An additional Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate is also required to ride a moped on public roads, except for anyone who obtained their full car driving license before 1 February 2001. A provisional moped license may be obtained at the age of 16, whereas standard car and motorcycles licenses are only available at the age of 17. Provisional licenses require learner plates and expire after two years if the license holder has not passed a test, however it can be extended another two years by retaking the CBT.

From Wiki so it must be true…….

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

The last small scooters I rode were Vespas and Lambrettas in the period but from the tests in the scooter mags that I have read the 50s only seem to get about 45 mpg (no doubt due to being flat out everywhere with automatic transmission). I’ve an old C70 Honda and it gets 120 mpg which drops to about 90 on long periods on the open road at what I have been told by followers is 60 mph (don’t ask). I would heartily recommend an old Honda stepthrough but the prices seem to be in collectors’ item territory now.

flow
    Free Member

hilldodger, you are wasting your breath mate

Flow – just chill the fk out. If you disagree, state your case nicely. Otherwise f off. Simply dishing out abuse over a small technical point is not nice.

Then don’t come on here telling me in wrong with your nose between TJ’s bum cheeks.

hilldodger
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKnoffPV8m0[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Absolutely correct hilldodger. That is the definition of a moped

flow – oh look – a moped – note the big wheels and its not a scooter – it is however a moped

Look just admit it – mopeds and scooters are not the same thing, NOt all scooters have small wheels, not all mopeds are scooters, not all scooters are mopeds.

flow
    Free Member

TJ – I’m going to tell you one last time.

Read this again and tell me where you have gone wrong, I have even highlighted it for you.

Do a CBT for £90 and get a 125cc bike, much safer than a small wheeled moped.

Because the OP is talking about a 50cc scooter

To which PP said

That’s mid information at best, poor advice would be a better description.
    Please tell me
    A) how many miles you’ve done on scooters (I’ve done a good 20000-30000 at the very least, and probably 150000 on motorbikes)
    B) why a 125 bike is any safer based on your knowledge

I get sick of anti scooter bias by people that don’t know a thing about them.

My reply

Because generally they accelerates quicker, stops quicker, have bigger wheels so are a lot more stable, they can go faster so you are not always being overtaken – which is dangerous.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu can rant and shout and stamp your little feet all you want – you are still wrong.

Scooters are not the same as mopeds although ignorant people do use the two words as synonyms.

Not all scooters have small wheels, not all scooters are mopeds, not all mopeds are scooters and what you said about riding scooters is wrong they are not unsafe and unstable nor do they have poor brakes

mike_p
    Free Member

You’re both tee-wats

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

white101

My good lady is looking for a…hmm? chooses words carefuly…a bike with an engine. And reading (some) of the information on here it would seem that she should have something with a bit more than 50cc as she does need to go uphills to get to her place of work.
    more googling to be done ❓

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bloody hell that was a slanging match!

To the op, do the CBT, it’s worthwhile knowing what your doing and may well save you from a few painfull/expensive trips down the road/to the hospital/under a buss.

I’d get a 125 anything, MPG is still 100+, more power, etc etc etc. Scooters make better commuters as even in torrential rain your legs stay dry and out of the wind. Bikes handle better, so if your commute involves B-roads that might be a consideration.

Once again, I’d do a CBT, it’s always the ones who ‘don’t need to be there’ who fail/fall off/etc.

br
    Free Member

white101

Do cbt, get 125cc scoot.

If test not passed in 2 years, redo cbt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

white – small scooter would be ideal for a commuter – insurance can be expensive and so is getting the skills and the kit to be safe

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘ot: 50cc scooters – any thoughts? Peugeots ok?’ is closed to new replies.