Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OSX question (1st world problem content)
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

why doesn’t OSX pause my music from iTunes when I watch a YouTube vid like it does on my phone or iPad?

V Annoying.

jam-bo

because it can multitask as opposed to iOS which can really only do one thing at a time.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Oh 😉

PrinceJohn

If you open multiple tabs with many youtube vids they’ll all play at once…

bokonon
    Free Member

This is theoretically possible, and indeed a desirable feature – which they are spoiling people with by including it (as a work around no less) in IOS.

The closest you will get is something like quicksilver to create a shortcut for it (or even, just pressing the pause button (F8) on the keyboard).

Other than that, you could write something – there are some suggestions here.

jambalaya
    Free Member

because it can multitask as opposed to iOS which can really only do one thing at a time.

@jam bo – now you know that’s not true. iOS can play music whilst browsing with Safari

@thekingisdead – it’s a good enough question – not uncommon to have conflicting sounds from multiple Safari tabs with videos in and/or your iTines example. It’s harder for OSX designers to decide which is the dominant window (which iOS can do as only one display at each time) – you can have multiple windows open with multiple videos/music all visible so which one plays on the speakers ?

CountZero

iOS can play music whilst browsing with Safari

iOS can play music while any app can be selected and opened, not just played through apps that can play music as a secondary function, like navigation apps. Just tried it on my old iP4, just to confirm what I thought happened.

bokonon
    Free Member

you can have multiple windows open with multiple videos/music all visible so which one plays on the speakers ?

At that point it becomes less clear as to which should be dominant – in cases where it is more clear – i.e. one youtube window visible – then it should;t be too much of a stretch to pause other music playing when it plays back – in more complex situations then some kind of selector tab to identify the desired “live” video for audio output wouldn’t go a miss in the tab (next to the “play” icon…) with an off button to allow you to hear all the audio at once.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OSX question (1st world problem content)’ is closed to new replies.