Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Osram Nightbreaker/Philips Xtreme Vision etc., car bulbs…
  • the-muffin-man

…are they really any better than the bog standard H7 Lucas bulbs I can get from the motor spares place at a third of the price?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Night breakers made a huge difference on what ever I’ve fitted to then .

That is to say fireflies in jam jars would have been improvement over previous bulbs.

retro83
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve had +50%, +100% and now plus 130%, I honestly assumed it was marketing boswollocks but each time it’s been an improvement.

P20

Yes. Normally use Ring Xenon 130, but the Philips 150% were a good price on amazon. Normally find ring offer the best balance of life v brightness.

philjunior
    Free Member

Yes. I put them on just the dipped beam (as I ordered the wrong bulbs for the main by accident initially), and the difference side by side was quite impressive.

They were +120%.

fadda

Please bear in mind that some non-standard bulbs may change the pattern of light from your headlights, thus dazzling other drivers, or may draw too much current for your cards wiring.

Not to say they can’t be a good thing, but just to bear it in mind…

Davesport

I’ve just replaced both the dip beams on Mrs Davesport’s shopping trolley XC70. The marketing bollocks stated 130% more light, so it’s fair to say I was expecting double the light. Id put the improvement about 20%, it’s definitely an improvement but not massive.

Gary_M
    Free Member

They made an improvement to the piss poor headlights on my honda accord, but then again attaching a couple of birthday candles would also have made a difference.  They were still pish, just not as pish.  They won’t make crap headlights into great headlights.

I solved the problem by buying a new car with bixenon headlights, **** me I can actually see 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Personal experience with Philips is they don’t last long and end up looking the same after a couple of months (ended up with the old Osram side by side).

teethgrinder

I had some Nightbreakers. They were very good while they lasted. One went pop after 5 months, prior to that, the bog standard bulbs were fine w.r.t life.

The LED’s I have now are another level, though. And cheaper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are they legal LEDS ? how are they in the wet ?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve had the Ring +130 H7 (dipped) in both my Mundane-o and the Mrs’s Golf for about 6 months now. In both, it’s a significant improvement over the stock bulb.

NB twice as much light doesn’t mean you can see twice as far, unfortunately.
    They are noticeably better. I’ll settle for that.

drewd

I’ve used the Philips Extreme and Osram Nightbreaker in H4, H1 and H7 variations. They transform poor headlights to good and good to great. They only last me a year or so but are worth the money for the increased light output in my mind.

matt_outandabout

Yes they are brighter, but IME they last a year and go pop.
    I am back to boggo motor factor bulbs, at £1.99 each.

ads678

I read the thread title as ‘Night Beaker’ and thought this was going to be another mums net thread!!

scruff
    Free Member

Ive put 80w off road bulbs in my old V70, it’s better than before.

P20

Just had a look at the price on autobulbsdirect of the led bulbs 😲. Not road legal either

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve had them on the motorbike for ages. Yes there’s a vision improvement but only to the point where they go pop. Then you have to ride around with high beam on until you get home……

They don’t last long enough IME. A year tops.

Dickyboy

Overheard the mechanic at the local garage yesterday  saying they were failing quite a few cars for incorrect headlight bulbs recently.

retro83
    Free Member

Dickyboy

Overheard the mechanic at the local garage yesterday saying they were failing quite a few cars for incorrect headlight bulbs recently.

Not for Osram Nightbreakers they weren’t. Aftermarket LEDS or HIDs maybe.

fasthaggis

I read the thread title and thought it was going to be another Marvel character.

NIGHTBREAKER….Light up that roadkill,,Arggghhhhh >smiley face<

scaredypants

I solved the problem by buying a new car with bixenon headlights, **** me I can actually see

… oncoming drivers wincing and squinting into my stupid-bright dips ??

It’s an arms race akin to the mtb nightride lumen wars – once some cock dreamt up the full-intensity dipped light we were always heading only one way

fruitbat

MOT rules are changing in May 2018 so that HID bulbs fitted to headlamps desgned for halogen bulbs will be a fail. I’m glad I only spent £35 on the HID kit fitted to my car. I’ll be fitting Nightbreaker Laser bulbs this weekend.

demelitia
    Free Member

I’ve just this evening bought some GE megalight ultra 130 for my old mans Passat. I’ve had nightbreakers, racing vision, xtremevision and a couple of other ‘high performance’ type bulbs in it over the years. They’ve all been an improvement, I generally go on whatever does best in each years auto tests. This year it’s the GE’s.

Ive found they do dim over time and see them as a consumable. I change them out before they go and stick one of the old ones in the glove box in the box the new ones come in just in case.

I bought the GEs from powerbulbs.com, they’ve got a 20% off offer using 20FEB as the code. I was going to buy them anyway so that was a nice coincidence.

kelron
    Free Member

Will fitting brighter bulbs stop me being blinded by oncoming traffic or is the objective to blind them back?

scaredypants

kelron, it does help a bit with oncoming traffic in that you can still see a little bit more of the area in front of you

blinding them back – that’s what I was saying up there about nightrides; you can’t have brighter lights and not affect other users.  If (big if) they’re well set on dip then it’s OK on a flat smooth road but hitting a bump or cresting a rise and you’ll definitely affect oncomng drivers more

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Osram Nightbreaker/Philips Xtreme Vision etc., car bulbs…’ is closed to new replies.