Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Osprey Raptor 14 or viper 13 ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’m after a new riding back pack so which would you pick out of the 2.
    Raptor £70
    Viper £50
    I think they are both a good price at that but it the raptor worth the extra 20 ?

Cheers

FOG

The Viper doesn’t come with a bladder so if you haven’t got one in the spares cupboard, the Raptor would be the choice. I bought a Viper because I had a bladder left over from a rejected pack [its worse than handbags!] and am very happy with it, especially as it cost £ 40ish from Cotswold with a code. They are currently £45 on Cotswold website so if you are the member of some kind of outdoor club you will probably get it even cheaper. Osprey bladders cost £26 so if you don’t have a code it will cost £1 more to buy Viper and bladder than Raptor!
    ps Viper seems to be called Venom when it doesn’t have a bladder

stumpy01

It looks like the Raptor has a mesh back panel that I think (if it’s the same as my Syncros) is lifted off your back to keep sweaty back to a minimum, whereas the Viper just has cut foam, which I always find much more sweaty.

I think the Raptor is a better featured bag. I was looking at one in Go Outdoors a couple of weeks ago.
    It has a roll out toolwrap thing that comes out of the bottom of the pack and seems quite nifty.

The Raptor is 50% heavier than the Viper though, if that sort of thing concerns you.

Looks to me like the Viper does come with a bladder (it says it does on the Wiggle page anyway).

homer

I have the raptor and really rate it. can be had for £71.99 on surfdome, plus 15% extra off using the onsite voucher code. On Quidco as well.

shaungero
    Free Member

Yeah I think it does come with a bladder. It says on wiggle and Evans that it does so for £48 it sounds like a good price. It’s just that the raptor seems to have won all the awards

shaungero
    Free Member

@homer thats a great price

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I have a Viper 13 and it came with the bladder (bought from Wiggle).

I’m happy with it so far. It’s a hydration pack, though, so I’m not going to pretend it’s an awesome ride-changing product. Its 13L is oodles of space. Enough to carry tools, pump, camera, extra t-shirt and some food, with room leftover.

I’m not sure if any of the features on the Raptor warrant the extra cost, which is why I went for the Viper instead.

fathomer

CRC have the Raptor for £58.95 using the TAKE10 code.

I have a Raptor 10 but really wish it was the 14, it’s a great bag but probably not quite big enough.

ebennett

I have the raptor, it’s great. Apart from when you forget to do a leak test on the bladder before putting it in. Bloody thing is very temperamental about when it’ll seat properly (at least mine is) and I’ve ended up with quite a few soggy bottoms as a result!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have had a couple of rides now with my new Raptor 14. The mesh back is good but still sweaty, the bladder is stiff & flat which gives a different feel on the back to a camelback but I’m getting used to it. Hip pockets are ace as is the tool roll & general pocketry. there is a very handily placed soft pocket for a phone/wallet & delicate things that might get jumbled up in a large compartment. The top compression straps are a bit of a nuisance as you have to undo them to unzip the main compartment and although there is an outboard pocket with compartments it has a side zip which does restrict access a bit. Generally though there are plenty of spaces to compartmentalise things including some expanding external pockets for stowing discarded clothing etc. The lidlock is good too. I like the bite valve with it’s magnetic retainer on the chest strap but it appears some people don’t.

shaungero
    Free Member

Yeah sounds good to me. Cheers for the feed back. At under £60 from crc I think that me.

stumpy01

Have a look at the Syncro too.

I’ve got the Syncro10 and it’s a much simpler bag, but does all you need a bag to do, really. About £50, I think. No bladder though, although that suited me as I already had 2 Camelbak bladders…

shaungero
    Free Member

Just order the raptor 14 from crc had to spend an extra £10 so the total was 75 to receive extra 10% off. Good going there I reckon. Thanks crew.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Osprey Raptor 14 or viper 13 ?’ is closed to new replies.