Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Osprey Escapist 18….anything better for commuting/days out?
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m after a small rucksack to use when commuting and also to use when out on days out on the bike and hiking. Big Osprey fanboi, have used my Talon 33 across the world literally thousands of times.

A drunken incident in a French ski resort a few years ago saw me lose my Camelbak HAWG that I used as a smaller pack both for snowboarding, hiking and also on the bike.

A bit of googling suggests that the Osprey Escapist 18 is what I’m after. The only slight downside for me would be that it doesn’t have the hiking pole attachments….but as it’s primarily for use on the bike, then I can live without them. I don’t need a bladder, or rain cover (although I believe that this has one built in which is good I guess). If anyone has the 18l Escapist, I’m assuming that I will fit: Jeans, boxers, socks, shirt, shoes, rain coat, deodorant, lunch box, tablet, chargers and a few bike bits like pump, tube etc?

andrewy

I’ve had the escapist 25 for a few years. It’s really comfortable on the bike, I use it when on (youth) club mtb rides, so lots of first aid, tools, shelter etc and it’s fine with all that. When walking, it’s not as comfortable when loaded up, say 10kg, but fine with less. Having said that I use it most days just for food shopping. All in all, it’s good. Oh, and nothing has broken, worn out, fallen off etc 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ooh good info. When out walking it’ll definitely be a summer pack/shorter walk pack, so will probably be between 5-6kg tops. (With most of that being water, so going down throughout the day!)

birky
    Free Member

If anyone has the 18l Escapist, I’m assuming that I will fit: Jeans, boxers, socks, shirt, shoes, rain coat, deodorant, lunch box, tablet, chargers and a few bike bits like pump, tube etc?

I’ve got one, it’s a tight fit for clothes, shoes and lunch

Tom-B
    Free Member

Hmm, trying to avoid buying lunch at work. SPD brogues maybe? Flashy I’m looking in your direction!

I’ll not be using a bladder in it when commuting if that makes any odds?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oxfords, not brogues, my dear chap!

I have a Talon 22 for such occasions and it’s just about perfect.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah the Talon 22 was my other option. Am I right in thinking that the Escapist should be a slightly better fit on the bike?

I think I need to see them in real life before committing. I used my girlfriend’s Tempest 26 the other day which was fairly decent, but a slightly strange fit due to my lack of boobs and child bearing hips….it’ll be okay as a stop gap though!

Frankers
    Free Member

I have a used black/grey Camelbak Hawg in VGC if you wanted to replace with like for like.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer @Frankers, I think that I want to go with an Osprey. I just love their stuff!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the Escapist should be a slightly better fit on the bike?

I’ve only used it on my more upright bikes (MTB and Brompton) and I’d say it’s as comfortable as my Raptor, only difference being that it’s (obviously) bigger.

benbrownuk

I use an escapist 25 for everything you describe and it’s great. Been going strong for 7 years now too. I would struggle to fit what you describe above in a smaller bag than I’ve got now without it bulging and compromising the fit/comfort though – especially the bulging back on the bike. I find the pack works fine even when it’s not completely full, but when you ram it full it doesn’t sit quite so well (this happens with lots of bags). Not completely full means there’s room to have a shirt loosely folded on top rather than rammed in too, so still looks presentable after. May be worth seeing if you can test fit everything you need to carry in an 18 before you commit.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheers for the info Ben….I’m thinking that the 25 might be the way to go….although I’d like to go with the 18 to get a clear difference in size between my Talon 33…..I can probably leave shoes at work actually, ditto Tablet. I definitely need to to see them in the flesh.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

sorry for the hijack but does anyone have a recommendation for a smallish pack without waist straps?

Again, for commuting mainly. I currently have a Deuter but it’s on its last legs/straps.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Osprey Synchro 12 looks possible…. as the waist strap is negligible.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I ended up with the Escapist 25.

Mega chuffed with it, used it this afternoon for a commute to my studio in town. Was only there for a few hours so didn’t have a whole load of stuff in, but it was really comfy and it definitely fits all of the stuff in that I’ll need on my longer commute.

andrewreay

Escapist 25 FTW.

Is my regular day pack on the MTB with not much stuff in tbh. But it’s really comfortable, cinches up tight and takes all the abuse from mud, rain and even the odd fall. Ahem.

But it has also come into its own for the odd trip away. I’ve used it as carry-on with 2-3 days worth of clothes, wash bag and a laptop with charger. It’s surprisingly roomy.

Really, really rate it.

I’d size up and go with the 25l.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Syncro 12, so will report back on that when it arrives.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Forgot my **** boxers today. Forgot my wallet last week. Tit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Osprey Escapist 18….anything better for commuting/days out?’ is closed to new replies.