Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Osgood Schlatters
  • ready

Anybody have any experience with this? My 14 year old son has had it for nearly a year now, and it’s starting to really get him down. He’s a sporty chap, and despite our best efforts to manage the condition (limiting football/training etc) it just doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Unfortunately he’s not the kind of kid that can just stop all sport/exercise completely either.. We go skiing next month too
    Friend of a friend has suggested some tablets/drugs (Oscon?) off the internet, but I really don’t want to go down that road. Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Junkyard
    Free Member

i had it as a kid it eventually passed but I did as as he does – ignored advice and did sport anyway. No idea if this helped hindered or made no difference

No meds or treatments helped which ranged from pills to acupuncture – my mum loves that sort of shit- and also putting my entire leg in plaster to rest the leg – dont ever do this my leg was noticeably smaller for about a year after this and it made no difference to me and physio.

Not that helpful sorry but it will pass. cannot say at what age but i wa still having issue at 18 then i had a massive motorbike accident and did not walk properly for a year so cannot sya when it finally passed and when I finally recovered from that but i was in my twenties before i was “pain free”

howarthp

My son has it. We took him off sport totally for about one month and that made a big difference. We now manage through icing, NSAIDS and the odd day of rest. Some sports much worse than others –

loddrik
    Free Member

I also had it. Bloody painful. I thought my daughter was getting it (10) but the symptoms seem to be subsiding in her now.

I’m sure I still have the bloody swelling below my knees 30 years later.

loddrik
    Free Member

survivor

Not heard that name for awhile. Had it as a youth due to growth spurts and a love for basket ball. Remember at its worst I had to crawl up the stairs sometimes!!!

Eventually sorted itself out as growth slowed and it had chance to heal.

Is your lad tall and still growing?

timber

At times it really ached, had periods off sport when really bad, but think I became used to it and just carried on.
    Broke my leg quite seriously at 15 and had an external fixator fitted. Don’t remember any knee issues after that, a proper 5 months off sport as well as having to avoid contact sports and football whilst it continued to heal.
    Wouldn’t recommend breaking a leg to solve the knees though.

baddddad
    Free Member

I coach an U13 football team and two of my players have been out for most of this season. Both are now trying this which is supposed to have good results

book on amazon

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I had it as a spotty oik. It never held me back or stopped me becoming a bad footballer or mediocre mountain biker.

I’d avoid the meds route and would definitely not even consider meds from the interweb!

vickypea
    Free Member

I had it as a teenager, on my left knee. It didn’t really stop me doing anything and wasn’t even diagnosed until I was 25, but I do have a big bony nobble below my knee cap.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider – Member
    I had it as a spotty oik. It never held me back or stopped me becoming a bad footballer or mediocre mountain biker.
    I’d avoid the meds route and would definitely not even consider meds from the interweb!
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Ditto. Stopped all exercise for a month and went to a Physio who put some tingly electrodes of some sort on my knee which I recall relieved the pain very quickly. Have bony lumps just below my knees now and can’t kneel on hard surfaces.

cp

I started with it at s similar age, about 13 I think. There was no way I was going to stop doing sport.

Now 36 and still gives me gip but nothing like as much. Kneeling on hard surfaces is sore and being in one position for long periods it stiffens up and aches.

Ironically doing sport helps for me, it’s when I stop it gets bad.

In some people it disappears late teens, in others it just keeps going. Luck of the draw I think.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I had it mild as a teenager. Don’t recall any pain but the doctors note got me out of egg chasing for a couple of years 🙂

scaredypants

get him on a bike (esp road) instead ?

He may prefer footy but that’s not an option an the bike may keep him fit

good for his supporting muscles, not much impact, …

(I’d rest until skiing, mind)

ready

Thanks for all the replies. He has shot up in quite a short period of time, and a few of his mates have had it too. His problems just don’t seem to be getting any better, whereas his mates have grown through it.
    He’ll not be playing now until we’ve been skiing so we’ll see what happens with a few weeks of complete rest.

ebennett

Also had it when I was a 14 year old, tried to manage it with ice and nsaids for a few months as I wasn’t keen on stopping sport, but eventually had to rest completely for about a month or two and after that it cleared up, though it was about 5 years before it was 100% normal again.

IANAD/P, but I’d guess that continuing to try and do exercise that loads the quads while it’s still there will make it more likely that problems will persist into later life. Might be time for him to take up swimming!

hammy7272
    Free Member

I had it when I was about 14. I remember bursting into tears when the Doctor said no football or running for six months. It was so tough, my Mum bless her bought me some canoe lessons instead (what a star). I was really devastated but the rest really did help and it never came back. I was quite tall and had a growth spurt, that combined with loads of sport caused the problem. I knew a lad that carried on playing and he has numerous knee operations.

Tell your lad to lay off it for a few months, it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

muggomagic

i had it and carried on with some sports, mainly the ones I like playing, so no cross country running. i was treated with physiotherapy where the main part was stretching of the tendon. I used to have to lay down with the lower legs bent under the upper half.

I am still have the lumps under the knee caps and very sensitive to knocks in that area, hurts worse than a kick in the balls if do.

andyfla
    Free Member

OK, MrsFla is a Paeds consultant and she says :
    “Be patient. It is troublesome, annoying , painful, frustrating, with limited treatment options other than trying to maintain some activity within the limits of the pain.
    Heal raisers ?
    RICE (without the C !)”

Basically she said it will burn out with time, but might not settle completely until he has stopped growing.

Sorry …..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Osgood Schlatters’ is closed to new replies.