Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    teamhurtmore – Member
    Whatever the history Duckman, the key NOW is to have correct and HONEST advice.

All said by you while describing the SNP manifesto as the book of dreams and the vote itself as a vanity project.Do you take in ironing?

It is x2 QED. The truth is not always palatable is it?

No, but am a dab hand with starch and as steam iron as the boys know!!!

ninfan
    Free Member

Just to reiterate the point on Scotland having to join the EU as a new state (and fulfil entry criteria) – lets defer to the President of the EU:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXR6_5u1p-k[/video]

But what would he know?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Is there an alternative nationnalist party that doesn’t envisage joining the EU? After all, having just left one unrepresentative union you wouldn’t want to get entangled in an even worse one…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    They are not ruling out currency union, they are ruling our currency union as outlined by AS and co. They are different things..

So in clarification (page 10) from the Treasury:

On the basis of the scale of the challenges, and the Scottish Government’s proposals for addressing them, HM Treasury would advise the UK Government against entering into a currency union.

Northwind

winston_dog – Member

The rules for “new” members are different from what went before.

I can’t view the video as I say, but the treaties have not changed. It is an irony of the euro- you’re required to commit to joining it, but actually prevented from joining til you meet the criteria of your accession treaty. All very practical.

But as Kaesae showed us, one youtube video is more important 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

kelvin, the conclusion today from the BBC’s Douglas Fraser (Scottish. Economics and Business editor)

But this crunch point also demonstrates the rUK can (also*) choose to assert its interests. Its politicians will see it as their duty to fight for them.

* my addition!

franksinatra

I have not had time to read all the pages so apologies if this has been said already but, if nothing else, does this not demonstrate that the SNP’s plans are a bit ‘wooly’. Their White Paper read as a bit of a wish list without any decent alternatives. Currency is a major element of independence and they seem to have not fully thought it through.

(for transparency, eligible voter here who, if the vote was today, would be voting No.)

bencooper
    Free Member

Hopefully the people of Scotland will vote NO for this badly through through scheme, which, once it’s done and dusted will open the doors for further discussion of the more sensible option – greater self control and further devolution, which the rest of the UK would be no doubt be happy to support you achieving.

In the event of a No vote, why on earth would Westminster even consider giving more devolution? Much more likely the contrary will happen – pulling back of powers, and the Barnett formula is dead anyway.

If they were going to offer more devolution, they’d say so now – it’d be a perfect way to swing all the undecideds. It would even swing me, if the offer was good. Offering more devolution now is a guaranteed way for the No side to win the referendum.

The fact that they’re not offering more devolution (and prevented devo max as an option on the ballot) shows that more devolution is most definitely off the table.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Or they are keeping this as the final trump card – they are nasty bullies better bridge players after all!!

franksinatra

Or they are keeping this as the final trump card

I hope so. Devo Max always seemed a great option to me. I know that is off the table but more powers would seem a logical compromise.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Careful frank, you get flamed for saying things like that!!! 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Nope, I agree completely – more powers, and importantly more powers which can’t be pulled back whenever Westminster feels like it. Really, the UK needs a more federal system, why Should Scotland have a better deal than Wales, NI, the North, the Southwest, etc.

But without that option on the table, independence is the best choice.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think federalism within The EU is a better idea

We do need more local powers whilst also clubbing together

ninfan
    Free Member

Franksinatra – thats where Salmond shot his own fox, isn’t it?

Instead of calling for devo max (which there’s little doubt the govt would have had to give) Salmond went in riding two horses, a vote on both independence AND devo max, but came out again riding one lame pony when Cameron called his bluff with a vote on all or nothing!

konabunny
    Free Member

I think federalism within The EU is a better idea
    We do need more local powers whilst also clubbing together

I like mild curries that are also spicy.
    My dream home is on the penthouse floor of a bungalow.
    My interests are going out and quiet nights in.

mefty
    Free Member

And so to sum up, I would advise you against entering into a currency union with an independent Scotland. There is no evidence that adequate proposals or policy changes to enable the formation of a currency union could be devised, agreed and implemented by both governments in the foreseeable future.

THM – McPherson’s letter is far more damning than anything in the report. – not limited to “present proposals”.

retro83
    Free Member

Didn’t see this posted yet. Text of Osbourne’s speech is available here:
    Linky

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not convinced that federal systems with local powers are a contradiction in terms though your critique was amusingly done.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    Franksinatra – thats where Salmond shot his own fox, isn’t it?

Instead of calling for devo max (which there’s little doubt the govt would have had to give) Salmond went in riding two horses, a vote on both independence AND devo max, but came out again riding one lame pony when Cameron called his bluff with a vote on all or nothing!

Hang on, ninfan, I thought he was the canniest and most able politician in the UK. Or perhaps, it really is true that Scotland (and the rUK) really did/do deserve better! 😉

The problem is that this whole mess is affecting us all. So CMD is not blameless either. Indeed that was the final conclusion of the Scotsman article that I posted last night. Seeing AS with his pants down is amusing for a split second but ultimately it is an ugly and unsatisfactory distraction for everyone. Perhaps we get the politicians we deserve though?!?!

Junkyard
    Free Member

THM moans at AS and has a friend in Zulu
    ah all is well in the world of the right [eous]

igm

As we see the floods rising in Toryland (Thames valley), do you think they’ve noticed yet that most of the high ground is in Scotland?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Excellent work by George today – this really isn’t going to end well for the Bitter Together lot, if the immediate reactions from my chums in the ‘undecided’ camp are anything to go by 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

In the event of a No vote, why on earth would Westminster even consider giving more devolution? Much more likely the contrary will happen – pulling back of powers, and the Barnett formula is dead anyway.

If they were going to offer more devolution, they’d say so now – it’d be a perfect way to swing all the undecideds. It would even swing me, if the offer was good. Offering more devolution now is a guaranteed way for the No side to win the referendum.

The fact that they’re not offering more devolution (and prevented devo max as an option on the ballot) shows that more devolution is most definitely off the table.

the good old “Project Fear” line, vote no and they will shaft you

duckman

THM, did you come home from work early one day and find Alex Salmond’s trousers on the stairs? It would explain a bit… 8)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, funnily enough, he’s shafting those north on the border first. We are just dealing with the unpleasant spillage so far. 😉

(It is becoming increasingly embarrassing for the alma mater though. Did the department not teach basic monetary economics/functioning of central banks etc well in those days? Pity to trash the reputation of such a fine establishment)

kelvin

all or nothing

Now… who deliberately removed the option to vote for WHAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT, ie more devolution? The UK government. Depressing games.

kennyp
    Free Member

Still plenty of time till the referendum so there’s no need for the No campaign to play all its cards at once. At the moment we’re seeing the SNP’s bluff being called on currency, and the fact they have been so aggresive and insulting in their response shows how desperate they are, and how there is no plan B

I predict devo max will be put on the table sometime in the summer. Then it will be fresh in the minds of the voters when the big day comes, and hopefully we’ll have see the last of Salmond and his ilk.

althepal

Yeah I’d agree with that-Salmond et al wanted a three way vote wih devo max in there- for some reason the Uk govt wanted devo max removed? So they could use it towards the end of their vote no campaign?
    I doubt it very much..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Let’s hope so Kenny!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bencooper – I think Westminster took the devo max etc off the table and wanted a simple in/out question has it tied the SNPs hands, if they lose this vote it will be very difficult to come back again, it could even finish the party as a viable force. If they had allowed further devolution the SNP could have taken that claiming a big victory and then had a referendum anyway.

I think the SNP has most definitely not thought out the implications of independence, as posted above it means a new application to join the EU and a firm commitment to join the euro as soon as possible (that is a term for all new EU member state applicants) – an independent Scotland cannot inherit the UK’s euro opt-out

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or you could look at it from another angle. Would an independent Alba want to have a currency union with the rest of the union? After all, the Alban Thistle would be backed by oil revenues.

ninfan
    Free Member

Personally I think that the ‘all or nothing’ was forced to put an end to the issue once and for all

Had there been a referendum for devo max, then the SNP campaigning would immediately start for devo max plus, then devo max plus plus with a cherry on top, and the cycle of salami slicing neverendum goes on and on for ever with the SNP constantly blaming England for all their woes, and the knock on of constant uncertianty into the future meaning that the UK government can never commit to long term plans as they don’t know whats happening with Scotland.

Sooner or later, you’re just putting off the inevitable, so why not just get down to it – thats good leadership and good for the rest of the UK – stop messing about, shut up or put up, in or out!

rebel12
    Free Member

Now… who deliberately removed the option to vote for WHAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT, ie more devolution? The UK government. Depressing games.

Good old Scottish ‘They’re all out to get us!’ at it’s finest there with that post 😆

I think you’re totally wrong. I think the reason that DEVO Max wasn’t offered is that the UK Government wanted this independence thing cleared up once and for all before moving forward.

Otherwise we’d agree to DEVO Max, and Salmond/SNP would still keep causing trouble by relentlessly banging on about about full Scottish independence and as a result, despite DEVO Max being in place, we’d remain in the current land of limbo ‘will they/won’t they’ for the next few decades.

That’s not good for anyone, especially not for Scotland.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the fact they[SNP] have been so aggresive and insulting in their response shows how desperate they are, and how there is no plan B

Do you think the No campaign is being polite and not aggressive?
    Do you think they have a plan B ?

It just seems a lot of folk using whatever happens to confirm their own bias.
    the facts are largely immaterial

All i would say is I would treat the SNP claims as we hope that x will happen

I would treat the NO campaigns as threats that they may not do as some of them are biting off your nose to spite your face.

No one knows what will happen until after the vote as neither side will negotiate.

Good old Scottish ‘They’re all out to get us!’ at it’s finest there with that post [ straw man, ad hom 🙄 ]

I think you’re totally wrong. I think the reason that DEVO Max wasn’t offered is that the UK Government wanted this independence thing cleared up once and for all before moving forward.

SO you agree with them that the UK govt did it but despite that they are totally wrong 😕

kelvin

Good old Scottish ‘They’re all out to get us!’ at it’s finest there with that post

[/quote]

I’m not Scottish, I’m English.
    I want the Scots to vote NO to independence.

With that out of the way… the UK government only agreed to a referendum with the proviso that the option that most Scots want, more devolution, wasn’t on the voting card. That’s a fact. We can all offer our own ideas about why…

duckman

kennyp – Member

I predict devo max will be put on the table sometime in the summer

Nope.

Love your work Rebel,devo max wasn’t offered in case it hastened an end to the union, it would also force Westminster to discuss further devolved powers with the Scottish Government. That would take away uncertainty,the biggest weapon that the strangely united opposition parties have. If as you say, the UK government wants to move forward, why don’t they say? Why are they so slow to outline why we would be better together. Can you link to one positive reason that rUK have used so far…Or is it perhaps just been a look at what the SNP are suggesting would happen and saying “No it isn’t/you can’t.” The paranoid Scots line you trot out (constantly) is entirely a construct of the way the NO campaign has conducted itself.

bencooper
    Free Member

Again it comes back to English politics. If Scotland got devo max, then it wouldn’t take long for Wales ad the North to ask why they can’t have devo max too. Far better to shut down the whole idea of decentralised government by letting the SNP have their little referendum which they’ll lose.

Junkyard
    Free Member

To repeat

Good old Scottish ‘They’re all out to get us!’ at it’s finest there with that post [ straw man, ad hom ]
    I think you’re totally wrong

Your next reply should be entertaining

kennyp
    Free Member

Duckman, I’ll answer at greater length tonight (when not at work) but two quick points:-

1. The No campaign’s responses have to be negative by definition, otherwise they wouldn’t be the No campaign.

2. The SNP is just as guilty as spreading the fear message ie fear of what they say will happen if Scotland does not secede.

bencooper
    Free Member

As a Scot, I do think they’re out to get us. But they’re out to get you too. They’re out to get almost everyone. Scottish, English, Welsh, Northern Irish. Does anyone think the Westminster government is acting in your best interests?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.