Viewing 40 posts - 2,961 through 3,000 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • piemonster

Jam tomorrow you say, gets my vote.

In this together, never was and never will be.

Out of curiosity “more jobs than at any time in British history” is that as a percentage of population. Or just number of actual jobs? Because only one really counts.

duckman

Our school role has soared as there aren’t any jobs for the potential leavers. Based on his history I would suspect Ernie was employing a degree of irony in that post,but he missed out the olympics circuses to keep the mob happy.

piemonster

I only do irony after 9am or my 2nd dump of the day. Whichever comes soonest.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    duckman

2nd dump? too much fibre,or perhaps too many oats…

“A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people”. Samuel Johnston 😀

piemonster

I’ll not go into detail about any hat tricks

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I left out the Olympics duckman because that would have been jam yesterday. The Tory narrative is that we didn’t have jam yesterday but we are having jam today. And as far as I can figure out according to them this is about as good as it gets, so don’t expect much more.

Unless of course you live in Scotland in which case vote Yes and Salmond promises you jam tomorrow,
    probably. But we won’t go into detail. Just trust him.

piemonster – Member

Jam tomorrow you say, gets my vote.

I predict it will get the vote of very slightly more than half of the people living in Scotland in 6 months time. There’s something very seductive about the promise of jam tomorrow. Specially if you avoid thinking too much about how you’re going to get it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Jam tomorrow definitely sounds enticing, and the published recipe looks pretty good, even if it is a bit untried 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I cant see any Jam today. The Tories have just announced a downward revision in longer term growth forecasts from OBR, a lot still need to be done to address the deficit especially if (as all parties are saying) we are looking to produce a budget surplus and the current upturn is not built on sustainable foundations. Not my idea of a picnic. All parties are broadly advancing the same solutions and none of them are predicting a speedy resolution to our economic challenges….

….all except one! In la, la land these issues dissolve away in an instant. Tax less, spend more, others backstop the obvious mismatch here and protect one of the main segments of your economy, oil revenues will be higher than others now suggest, pensions what pensions and the EU entry and the eventual adoption of the euro (for better or worse) is a relatively quick and easy process.

Forget Scotland, we should have wee eck in charge of the whole UK. The only other people who could pull this trick off are magicians. But here is a straight guy who can deliver utopia on a plate. Brilliant.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I cant see any Jam today.

You what ????

You mean that the Tories upbeat assessment is false ?

😯

EDIT : I’ve just checked THM and you’re definitely wrong – Britain is “booming” :

Osborne claims vindication amid booming economy

Tories were jubilant as they realised the UK was experiencing the most substantial economic growth in the developed world……..[/b]

duckman

There’s something very seductive about the promise of jam tomorrow

I like that swanky Bon Mammon(sp) raspberry conserve, will that be on offer post yes vote?

Forget Scotland, we should have wee eck in charge of the whole UK.

It’s taken 85 pages, but finally like the monkeys with typewriters producing the works of Shakespeare you are talking sense! Well done THM. 😈

Northwind

As far as I can tell the Tories are promising us shit sandwiches tomorrow- but don’t worry, shit is good for you and you’ll grow to love the taste.

aracer
    Free Member

The obvious difference being that AS is promising Scotland shit sandwiches tomorrow and claiming they’ll taste of jam.

ninfan
    Free Member

The Tory narrative is that we didn’t have jam yesterday but we are having jam today.

Sphericals!

The Tory narrative is that we’ve been eating Jam for years, but now the jar is empty and it turns out that Gordon paid for it on our credit card!

But don’t worry everyone, if Labour get back in they’ve promised to go and buy us another Jar!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

EDIT : I’ve just checked THM and you’re definitely wrong – Britain is “booming”

No, I am definitely right. We are experiencing a faster and quicker than expected recovery but overall growth and longer term projections remain below trend. The foundations of the currency recovery are not strong enough to come to even close to idea of booming (outside SE property).

Tories were jubilant as they realised the UK was experiencing the most substantial economic growth in the developed world….

Almost true.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Tory narrative is that we’ve been eating Jam for years, but now the jar is empty and it turns out that Gordon paid for it on our credit card!

Next you’ll be telling us that the Tories didn’t approve of the last Labour government’s spending and would have done everything completely different !

Tories vow to match Labour spending

According to the Daily Telegraph :

The Conservatives sought last night to destroy Labour claims that they would cut public services by issuing a formal pledge to match Gordon Brown’s spending plans.

“Today, I can confirm for the first time that a Conservative government will adopt these spending totals,” the Shadow Chancellor said.

Gordon Brown’s spending had the FULL approval of George Osborne.

seosamh77
    Free Member

A 5 year timeline of what post independence will offer a wee tiny bit short sighted.

Some of us take the longer view.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The obvious difference being that AS is promising Scotland shit sandwiches tomorrow and claiming they’ll taste of jamFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM.

FTFY 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We are experiencing a faster and quicker than expected recovery

The Tories inherited a growing economy and then delayed recovery by 3 or 4 years.

A faster than expected recovery ??????

Do you write George Osborne’s speeches THM ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, but fortunately I see no need to define myself according to any political party. I know you guys like to pretend otherwise. I teach and use facts instead.

The pace of the recent recovery has been faster than expected. Why do you think the Labour Party have advisedly changed their argument? Check it out against most professional forecasts. It’s clear.

I don’t have any desire or need to write speeches for any political party – I don’t like being deceitful. But I have said for quite a while that a better than expected recovery may well be the Tory joker. Again, judging by recent polls, I am correct again!

piemonster

As far as I can tell the Tories are promising us shit sandwiches tomorrow- but don’t worry, shit is good for you and you’ll grow to love the taste.

So long as it’s not Elderberry jam. Vile filth.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I am correct again!

Shame you didn’t register earlier on this forum THM, you could have warned us all of the imminent global credit crunch/banking crises.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    No, but fortunately I see no need to define myself according to any political party. I know you guys like to pretend otherwise. I teach and use facts instead.

The pace of the recent recovery has been faster than expected. Why do you think the Labour Party have advisedly changed their argument? Check it out against most professional forecasts. It’s clear.

I don’t have any desire or need to write speeches for any political party – I don’t like being deceitful. But I have said for quite a while that a better than expected recovery may well be the Tory joker. Again, judging by recent polls, I am correct again!I do find it amusing that you actually think you are impartial! 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not impartial on independence – I think there are better options for Scotland and the UK. I have been consistent on that.

Don’t give investment advice Ernie. But positioned myself nicely for when it came thanks, and for doing the right thing (investing) in the aftermath. Bought some great stuff in Italy but missed Greece annoyingly. Better not to listen to advice on the internet in that regard, even some of the pros.

But I am also correct on the current economic performance of the UK, however you may like to twist it. Oh and more accurate than (my mate??) GO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

EDIT he admitted his bias

However THM we all think our views are factual

I could post up tons of stuff that shows capitalism is exploitative, is a cycle of boom and bust…i dont think i would be able to claim a lack of bias

Likewise you are pro capitalism, right wing [ Disraelli one nation tradition] etc .

No one is free of bias and it is disingenuous to claim otherwise no matter who the poster is.

To be fair your economic analysis is usually pretty good , fair and accurate and could , for example, be used in a BBC report.

ninfan
    Free Member

The Tories inherited a growing economy and then delayed recovery by 3 or 4 years.

It wasn’t a real growing economy though was it? Its was a smoke and mirrors act built on borrowing more money than you could ever believe and throwing it around like a drunken sailor on shore leave in Monte Carlo!

And we’re still not out of the hole!

Of course it will all be different under King Alex – I’m surprised he hasn’t started telling us how he’s married to Prudence and about his golden rules yet 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t give investment advice Ernie.

I wasn’t suggesting investment advice. You obviously predicted the global banking crises and its effect on the UK economy, I’m just saying you could have warned us of the downturn that was about to happen in the economy. You definitely like to share your opinion on such matters

ninfan
    Free Member

you could have warned us of the downturn that was about to happen

Rule 126: “Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. ”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yep, warned about Kirschner’s economics (sic) and their likely negative impact and also advised buying bombed out Italian banks and Royal Mail. So sorry, have given investment advice on here! In my old job, I was actively involved in preparing for the crisis, thanks.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

It wasn’t a real growing economy though was it? Its was a smoke and mirrors ……

The economy was growing when the Tories came to power.

UK economic growth revised up to 0.3%

Quote :

This revision will be seen as a vindication of the City analysts who thought the economy in the last months of 2009 was stronger than the official statistics implied.

Obviously as a Tory Party member/voter you are going to suggest that it was all just “smoke and mirrors”. However the OECD, which doesn’t speak on behalf of the Tory Party, were very confident that it had nothing to do with “smoke and mirrors”.

UK economy set to outpace most G7 peers, says OECD

Quote :

The UK economy is forecast to outstrip its G7 peers in the second quarter of this year, says the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

The OECD predicted the UK would grow at an annualised rate of 3.1% in the second quarter of 2010.

Such a rate would put the UK ahead of the US, Japan, Germany, France and Italy – but not Canada.

The Tories inherited a growing economy but delayed recovery by several years. We are now being told to celebrate this great achievement.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Decent debate, far better than the nonsense we get on the tele.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UafGNaOEMNU[/video]

the results at the end confirm my thoughts that Glasgow is far more biases toward yes aswell.

bainbrge

Very weak argument Ernie_Lynch, which you share with Ed Balls.

Just because retrospectively adjusted growth for 2007(?) was 0.3%, then the economy contracted until 2010 doesn’t mean that policies in the interregnum period delayed growth!? Unless of course you believe the Tories caused the Eurozone crisis.

More reasonable to hypothesise that the Tories delayed growth via austerity, but that doesn’t stand up either because there has been no meaningful austerity, money has remained cheap, and the alternative to the austerity smoke signals was the loss of confidence of the bond markets and hence economic oblivion…

ninfan
    Free Member

GDP includes government spending, but doesn’t subtract borrowing!

Claiming that the UK economy was growing then is like claiming that my household income went up last year because despite a £5k paycut, I took out a £10k bank loan 😆

Of course, even though my wife, Alex, spent half of it on a new car, she’s been told that if she leaves me she doesn’t have to pay any of it back because its in my name not hers, and she gets to keep the car 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Very weak argument Ernie_Lynch, which you share with Ed Balls.

I thought I made it clear that this very weak argument that you speak of wasn’t my argument but that of the OECD ?

Let’s try again :

The UK economy is forecast to outstrip its G7 peers in the second quarter of this year, says the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

The OECD predicted the UK would grow at an annualised rate of 3.1% in the second quarter of 2010.

Such a rate would put the UK ahead of the US, Japan, Germany, France and Italy – but not Canada.

As you can see the OECD were confident in April 2010 that the green shoots of recovery were firmly established. Unfortunately the next month the Tories managed to form a government with the Liberal Democrats and trampled on those green shoots putting back the recovery by several years. Something which apparently we should be extremely grateful for.

ninfan
    Free Member

putting back the recovery by several years

Sorry, I thought it had forced us into a double and triple dip recession?

In fact, I remember the two Ed’s telling us that thats what had happened…

Non?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think it was the Govts stats folk who said that prior to revision of the data
    Would you like to blame the opposition for this ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You sound desperate Z-11. However much spin you want to put on it, and I really don’t care what “the two Ed’s” have to say, the Tories inherited a growing economy well on the road to recovery. According to the OECD the UK economy was set to preform better than most other G7 countries. But the Tories delayed that recovery by several years.

Now I appreciate that as a committed Tory you want to put a different spin on the situation, but you can’t expect me to agree to ignore the facts because you find them embarrassing.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ernie, no, I don’t think I need to spin anything, I think you’re simply delusional – see my point on how spending borrowed money does constitute real growth,

everyone here who has to pay their own bills can see clearly that borrowing money from Wonga does not constitute a long term financial recovery plan!

seosamh77
    Free Member

biases? 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think you’re simply delusional

Says the man who dismisses out of hand the assessment that the OECD made of the UK economy in April 2010 🙂

scotroutes

* waves *

Viewing 40 posts - 2,961 through 3,000 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.