Viewing 40 posts - 12,121 through 12,160 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • aracer
    Free Member

interesting so they were both more likely to be threatened and more likely to fall out with people?
    Is it them do you think? Serious point

Maybe No voters just don’t get along with their neighbours 😉

imnotverygood

I am not sure what it says
    Yes are rowdier
    No are more sensitive etc

Or that you are trying to flannel the issue away..
    It is a difficult one to answer. What does it mean by ‘personally threatened’ by a ‘campaign’. Nobody has directly said anything nasty to me (even online)…….. Then again I haven’t discussed the issue with complete strangers in public. If I had been asked the question in that poll I would probably have said that I wasn’t personally threatened. It doesn’t mean that the atmosphere isn’t there in the background.

However I wouldn’t wear a No badge or sticker in public and if I had any sense I would certainly take down a No poster tonight, especially if the vote goes that way.

Northwind

imnotverygood – Member

if I had any sense I would certainly take down a No poster tonight,

I’ve got a yes sticker on my car- I’ll be taking it off tonight because the alternative is to become one of those people that leaves a car red nose on for years.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got a yes sticker on my car- I’ll be taking it off tonight because the alternative is to become one of those people that leaves a car red nose on for years.

Yup – though I do have one of the lovely Bella Caledonia posters framed in the shop, that’ll stay on the wall.

epicyclo

After all the hoo haa about the CU, the problem has been solved..

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Northwind
    well if you do win I think you’d be perfectly entitled to keep it on for a while.

@ben, if the vote goes against you you’ll not want to be looking at that poster day-in day-out ?

bencooper
    Free Member

@ben, if the vote goes against you you’ll not want to be looking at that poster day-in day-out ?

I think I probably will. Besides, got to save it for the next referendum 😉

mt
    Free Member

ben, if there is to be another vote will it be call a neverendum?

Forgot to mention, Free Yorkshire. Can’t wait for the Scotchlandshire side show to be over so we can move to the true cause, a Free Yorkshire and it better be cheap!

dazh

Anyone done this yet? http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/18/scotland-yes-campaign-voting-british-state

This is why I think it’ll be a yes. This campaign has grown far beyond questions about SNP vs Labour, Scotland vs England, what currency, who gets the oil etc and has become something much bigger about how the world is changing from the old patriarchal hierarchical system to a new position where people are empowered, informed and engaged. At least I hope so.

aracer
    Free Member

If only it wasn’t just about electing a different set of the same politicians to rule from a different place.

bencooper
    Free Member

Someone phoned me from South Africa to wish me luck with the referendum.

Okay, he also wanted to talk about recumbent trikes 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Did he ask if they are going to be cheaper when the smackeroonie takes a nosedive?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

become something much bigger about how the world is changing from the old patriarchal hierarchical system to a new position where people are empowered, informed and engaged. At least I hope so.

Seriously, good luck with that. Reading some of the arguments informed seems a bit of an over reach, what is the massive change you see happening? SNP vs Labour doesn’t even seem to register it’s SNP vs Tory and the perception that independence will cure scotland of right wing politics. Only issue is there are no restrictions on who gets elected to run Scotland.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Only issue is there are no restrictions on who gets elected to run Scotland.

We are well aware the proper fight starts tomorrow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Or not, counting chickens?

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Or not, counting chickens?nope, just confident. I’ve said all along I thought the polls were about 10 points off.

I’m hearing stories that SNP internal polls are indicating 60%, when people are asking at the polling stations.

Put it this way, I’ll be stunned if it’s not a yes vote. (and I’ll probably not turn the internet back on for about 6 months! stop cheering at the back! :D)

epicyclo

Doncastrians may get independence too!

mikewsmith – Member
    …and the perception that independence will cure scotland of right wing politics…

On the contrary, I believe it will become more balanced and we will see a more vibrant and stronger Conservative party without the taint of Unionism. Notably of all the major parties, they have not upset their voter base in this campaign. (I still won’t be voting for them though 🙂 )

seosamh77 – Member
    I’m hearing stories that SNP internal polls are indicating 60%, when people are asking at the polling stations.

I was hoping for a higher proportion early in the day simply because the Yes voters are more likely to be enthusiastic and come in early.

I expect the later voters will be a higher % of Nos, so this may mean it’s going to be really tight.

brooess
    Free Member

the world is changing from the old patriarchal hierarchical system to a new position where people are empowered, informed and engaged. At least I hope so.

Kind of. I hope the world is becoming less hierarchical and more inter-dependent too – internet and social media being a key driver.

However, the most serious concern about this whole referendum for me is that neither the yes nor the no camp have actually informed their audiences just what they’ll get for their vote… so both sides have fallen on rhetoric in the absence of any concrete proposition to offer…

jambalaya
    Free Member

become something much bigger about how the world is changing from the old patriarchal hierarchical system to a new position where people are empowered, informed and engaged. At least I hope so.

In STW language, “Moon on a Stick”

jambalaya
    Free Member

@seos – more Yes campaign bluff and blunder. Lets wait and see but if it’s 60% its going to be for No IMO

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    In a condescending bawbags language, “Moon on a Stick”

FTFY. 😉

dazh

perception that independence will cure scotland of right wing politics

No one’s claiming it will be a cure in itself, but it at least gives them the opportunity which doesn’t exist as part of the UK. You’re right in that it’s still going to be the power to vote in one group of politicians over another, but whoever those politicians are they’d be very foolish to ignore the prevalent sense that people will no longer be patronised, ignored and taken for granted.

epicyclo

brooess – Member
    …However, the most serious concern about this whole referendum for me is that neither the yes nor the no camp have actually informed their audiences just what they’ll get for their vote… so both sides have fallen on rhetoric in the absence of any concrete proposition to offer…

The Edinburgh agreement was no prior negotiation to the referendum, so there were no parameters for either side.

Thus the choice was between 2 uncertainties, and therefore down to who do you trust more to look after Scotland’s interests.

But then of course both sides have used that to lambast the other…

brooess
    Free Member

The Edinburgh agreement was no prior negotiation to the referendum, so there were no parameters for either side.

So I understand. Still seems daft to go to a referendum on that basis… why didn’t SNP say ‘not good enough’ and continue negotiate at that point?

I’m stressing here that this seems a poor position to put both the yes and the no voters in… as you say, Scotland is just being asked which bunch of politicians do you trust the most – when deep experience for most people alive today is that no politicians can ever be trusted!

jambalaya
    Free Member

whoever those politicians are they’d be very foolish to ignore the prevalent sense that people will no longer be patronised, ignored and taken for granted.

@dazh
    – I think you are right in that its a prevalent sense, rather than a reality. Westminster has to take into all 60m people. A independent Scottish Parliament can indeed be more focused on purely the 5m but at what price vs the powers they already have or might have with further devolution ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

FWIW the financial markets seem to think its going to be a No, this could of course be the same complacency we saw over the past months prior to the Murdoch poll.

rene59
    Free Member

Or not, counting chickens? [/quote]

In a way it doesn’t matter what the result is, the fight will still start tomorrow. Too many people from both sides have now seen that change is possible, they have the power and they are hungry for that change.

First up is the General election next year, then the Scottish Government elections the following year.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s 60% of people asked by SNP pollsters say they voted Yes?

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    That’s 60% of people asked by SNP pollsters say they voted Yes?

No idea how the SNP conduct their polls tbh. I’ll try and enquire tonight when I ask the question for myself about the polls. it’s only hearsay I’m repeating from other forums.

oldnpastit

What I find really interesting is that there are people on here who seem pretty sure it will be a yes vote. Meanwhile, the stock market and the sterling exchange rates are all looking quite healthy, as though either investors think it’s going to be a no, or they think a yes will be a good outcome.

Someone is going to be in for a shock tomorrow but I genuinely don’t know who. I think if I knew anything about investing, I could make a fortune (sadly I haven’t a clue).

seosamh77
    Free Member

thought this was quite interesting too.

twitter map for the last week.

http://rt.com/uk/188404-scottish-referendum-live-updates/

If we win this it really does spell the end for traditional media as the only opinion formers in town.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Since when are the Bookies ever wrong Seosamh? They are quoting 1-5 for a No win and 4-1 for a Yes.

Its not looking likely for you.

aracer
    Free Member

it’s only hearsay I’m repeating from other forums.

So even better than polls conducted by the SNP then 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member
    What I find really interesting is that there are people on here who seem pretty sure it will be a yes vote. Meanwhile, the stock market and the sterling exchange rates are all looking quite healthy, as though either investors think it’s going to be a no, or they think a yes will be a good outcome.

Or they think Westminster is bullshitting about a CU.

aracer
    Free Member

Since when are the Bookies ever wrong Seosamh?

2008 Olympics. Haven’t placed a bet since. Still up on the bookies.

ninfan
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

Wouldn’t releasing exit poll results/information prior to the closing of the polls be illegal?

oldnpastit

Wouldn’t releasing exit poll results prior to the closing of the polls be illegal?

Sounds like the poll has been invalidated. We’ll have to cancel the whole thing and start over next year.

irelanst
    Free Member

No idea how the SNP conduct their polls tbh. I’ll try and enquire tonight when I ask the question for myself about the polls. it’s only hearsay I’m repeating from other forums

SNP are leaking poll information? They’re not trying to influence the ballot are they?

seosamh77
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    seosamh77 – Member
    Wouldn’t releasing exit poll results/information prior to the closing of the polls be illegal?

Who says it’s the result of an exit poll, could be the results from last week.

ninfan
    Free Member

Who says it’s the result of an exit poll, could be last week.

Well, I was taking it from your own claim:

“‘Im hearing stories that SNP internal polls are indicating 60%, when people are asking at the polling stations.”

Viewing 40 posts - 12,121 through 12,160 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.