Viewing 40 posts - 11,281 through 11,320 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • kjcc25
    Free Member

All the above rubbish just goes to show why we should stay one country. Out of 70 some million 2 million want to destroy it. It’s going to cost millions to sort it all out and we will all be the poorer. All because a few hope they might be slightly better off and have a few less food banks if they are independent.

Oh don’t forget the Red Arrows, I think it works out at about one aeroplane for Scotland for the celebratory fly past on independence day!

Just about sums it up.

ninfan
    Free Member

Christ – Mugabe would be proud of this, the Jim Sillars press release:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxalYB3CUAE6BP_.jpg:large

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

C’mon ninfan, stay with the game. That was several pages ago 😀

yes 2/70 – the mind boggles, but remember it’s not about the (net) 68! The tyranny of minorities yet again.

What sort of wacky backy was Sillars taking?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Presumably rUK should do the same then as their election is sooner and its a hung parliament wuth less support for its leaders than AS has.

The land would not be ever be Scottish to take, it would simply remain part of the UK.

It is Scottish now and only part of the UK if Scotland stays. To argue otherwise requires massive ignorance of law, geography, common sense etc. No one can be that daft to think* this is credible

* i may be flattering you there 😉

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Are you going to throw away your UK passport JY 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Presumably rUK should do the same then as their election is sooner and its a hung parliament wuth less support for its leaders than AS has.

Quite possibly

My point was you can’t really argue it’s not about the SNP when they have and will set the agenda and try to finish it before anyone else can be elected.

ninfan
    Free Member

THM, I knew we’d mentioned it before, but because it was on the BBC I applied the bias filter, thinking that they would have selectively quoted him out of context, because we all know how biased towards the No campaign they are 😉

So upon reading what he actually sent out in his press release, I was gobsmacked to find that it was in fact even worse 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Reading the FT article (linked above) and then seeing the latest poll (54 sense/ 46 nonsense) the one rogue one that had BT in a spin and Gordie bending over backwards with silly promises looks more and more suspicious by the day.

Hardly any movement in the polls for many months hardly feed the appetite of 25 hour news

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh.. Wait.. Someone mention IT systems? Holy cow they are going to need a lot of those. I’ve changed my mind, vote yes, it’ll keep me in business for life!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Unbelievable tirade, surely that can’t help their cause?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

“two years notice of proposed redundancies”

What planet is he on? How can any company know that far down the line?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do you have an Audi and an Orange 5 too mol?

piemonster

Survation poll

https://mobile.twitter.com/Survation/tweets

No – 49% Yes – 42%
    Don’t know – 9%

54/46 exc don’t knows

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s a big swing, what’s changed?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Possibly the illegal intervention of the UK government and their false promises this week and people falling for it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Can you validate that claim of illegality?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you going to throw away your UK passport JY

Hopefully the Uk will unilaterally claim the place of my birth as UK land so I wont need to change.

you can’t really argue it’s not about the SNP

in that case you can argue it is about Cameron and a westminster elite as well.
    IMHO is is bigger than both of those but there is some merit in both arguments.

Northwind

Rockape63 – Member

Unbelievable tirade, surely that can’t help their cause?

Course not- which is why the press are pretending it’s important. Sillars’ influence over the SNP and the campaign for independence ended 20 years ago, post-independence he’ll have no more power to deliver on this statement than I will.

Essentially it’s a story about press bias rather than the Yes campaign.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Can you validate that claim of illegality?

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Government/concordats/Referendum-on-independence

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/41/contents

Have a read of both of those and then try to convince me that they haven’t acted illegally.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The reality is very little has changed. Polling has been reasonably consistent – a close result most likely just in favour of NO – for many months. The rest is noise.

Illegality 😀

NW, the DO hardly struggled to cosy up to Sillars during the week and the attempt at distancing himself was hardly convincing yesterday now was it?

TheFlyingOx

Possibly the illegal intervention of the UK government and their false promises this week and people falling for it.

Another demonstration of blind faith in the cybernat “infographics for the hard of thinking”.

Nobody’s done anything illegal. Have a looky here: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0045/00458330.pdf
    Particularly point 13 of the main body, and Note 1 point 2

Have a read of that and then try to convince me that they have acted illegally.

It’s amusing that in one breath you lot are shouting the house down about William Hague being extremely careful in saying that further Scottish devolutionary powers are not a current UK government policy (i.e. within the rules of purdah, seeing as he was standing in for Cameron at PMQ – a governmental duty), and in the next breath you’re shouting down the house when on a campaign platform (and thus within the rules of purdah) various MPs have mentioned further Scottish devolution.

It’s almost as if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

piemonster

Including this poll, Survations last 3 have the no lead at 6% 6% and 7%

All after the last Salmond/Darling shout fest

wanmankylung
    Free Member

T_F_O – now go back and see who that document applies to…

Northwind

For purdah, the line between government and parties is very fine. But that cuts both ways, you can’t complain about David Cameron, prime minister campaigning without complaining about Alex Salmond, first minister campaigning- both represent more than one entity.

It is difficult, when the prime minister of the UK goes to see business leaders face to face and says “I’d like you to do something”, it’s easy to see why people cry undue influence- he might be doing so in his role as party leader but it can’t really be separeted from his position as prime minister. And equally easy to see why people question how genuine the business leaders’ prompted responses are. The argument is that they’re not saying anything they wouldn’t have otherwise, but logically why would Cameron waste time asking for it if that were the case? So if nothing else there’s reasonable cause for skepticism.

ninfan
    Free Member

The excuses are being set up nice and early I see….

oldnpastit

These business people are all grown-ups. I’m sure if they disagreed with the Prime Minister they would say so. Any kind of business leader who feels unable to speak their mind would struggle to stay in their job for very long.

TheFlyingOx

T_F_O – now go back and see who that document applies to…

In the Edinburgh Agreement, signed by Alex Salmond and David Cameron, the UK government agreed to abide by the same rules in the 28 days before polling.

It’s almost as if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Northwind

oldnpastit – Member

These business people are all grown-ups. I’m sure if they disagreed with the Prime Minister they would say so. Any kind of business leader who feels unable to speak their mind would struggle to stay in their job for very long.

Replace “speaking your mind” with “pissing off the prime minister, in person”. Businesses like to remain on good terms with governments.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you have an Audi and an Orange 5 too mol?

Orange 5 yes, could probably get an Audi on the company car scheme if I wanted 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So it’s ok for DO to rally companies in support of Yes (and intimidate those that don’t) but somehow that is not ok for the PM? How odd.

As above, you don’t get to be a CEO by listening to MPs! They are there to be tolerated. CEOs are big boys and girls as others have mentioned and can think for themselves and in the interests of their customers, staff and shareholders.

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    Oh.. Wait.. Someone mention IT systems? Holy cow they are going to need a lot of those. I’ve changed my mind, vote yes, it’ll keep me in business for life!

But first you must recant. Only 4 days left to do it.

Remember we have long memories…. 🙂

(Alternatively put in the best quote. Saving our pennies always works with us Scots).

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

So it’s ok for DO to rally companies in support of Yes (and intimidate those that don’t) but somehow that is not ok for the PM? How odd.

If Salmond’s been breaking purdah in the same way that Cameron (IMO) has, I’d have a problem with that, certainly. But even then, the question of influence isn’t the same, clearly the prime minister has far more influence over the environment businesses operate in than the first minister.

I don’t know if you’re intentionally misrepresenting people’s concerns- of course businesses can make up their own minds, that’s not the question. The question is entirely about the factors going into that decision.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

But has anything illegal actually occurred? Are the police investigating?

epicyclo

BTW I went into town today. Could hardly move.

Some noisy buggers were excited about something, and blocking the street. It was just as bad in the other direction.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think the Orange Rally may have settled it.

Any normal thinking undecided will have jumped to “Yes” after seeing those knuckle draggers.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Politicians serve us not the other way around. Most business leaders are angry about this campaign – the crap from yS and the lacklustre campaign from BT – and the CBI quotes 90% are NO. Of course after the suspicious rogue poll, there was an element of panic in the air this week (and why not? The 2/70 argument is valid).

Business leaders like anyone else are protecting their interests and it is clear what that means. They don’t need CMD to tell them. It was mostly coming in the other direction. FFS pull your finger before chaos descends. That was certainly the message that I was giving them last weekend – as you can imagine the MPs (well the labour one) didn’t appreciate it, the Tory was complacent. Hopeless the lot of them, sleepwalking into chaos.

The fact that AS claims that the businesses are bullying proves that they are in the right. The 3Bs tactic has now been fully exposed by its chronic overuse.

epicyclo

teamhurtmore – Member
    …Most business leaders are angry about this campaign…

No wonder.

They can see that it’s going to get much more difficult to buy policies that pour taxpayers money into their pockets.

Controlling the press, TV, and making large political donations is no longer a guarantee of getting what you want.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No one bloke is going to cut their tax bill – son of Thatcher brings a bonus – funny thing is COEs are smart enough to understand why that is BS. If you need to build up reserves to follow a sterlingisation policy, it’s a bit tricky to start a tax war with rUK.

Don’t forget the dirty diggers intervention this week. On to yS side, so the lessons from Leveson have not reached you yet?

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, seem to be a few people in Glasgow who are keen to celebrate Britannia’s rule tonight 😀

gordimhor

The ICM poll puts Yes on 49% No42% Dk9%..
    Source Whatscotlandthinks

Does come with a caveat though.

Viewing 40 posts - 11,281 through 11,320 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.