Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the issue will not go away even if NO achieve a 75% of the vote

The issue will most certainly go away for a very long if there is a no vote. Of course the SNP will still carry on campaigning for independence, because that’s what they’ve been doing since they were formed 80 years ago. And no one be sure that you won’t still be banging on about how you dislike Scots because of what Alex Salmond has said.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funny how the NYT article conveniently sidesteps the fact that being part of the union allowed Scotland to come through the crisis far better than most and to recover relatively well within a wider union. And yS want to exchange this for uncertainty, risk and unsustainable macro policies. Absurd. Good job these folk are kept largely out of the way of actual business, you would be fired for such incompetence in the real world.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Muddy everyone is in the UK both parties would be iS and rUK.

Obvious troll is obvious.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ernie, i don’t dislike Scottish people at all – although i grant you i do dislike Mr Salmond.
    I do think we will all be better off in the event of a Yes vote, it may take some time but relations between the UK & Scotland will settle down & improve, financial stability will improve long term in the UK at least due to being rid of the uncertainty, i also believe the UK left will be forced to re-engage with the larger UK population again which is no bad thing.
    To be honest i can’t see a downside for the UK should Scotland vote Yes, plus it brings autonomy (of a sort) to a region that currently feels undervalued – win/win you might say.

If that is anti-Scottish in your view so be it, you aren’t any sort of oracle to me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course you’re not anti-Scottish, and Salmond isn’t anti-English.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

More seriously…

wanmankylung – Member
    When faced with the two remaining options, for me there is no choice but to vote for independence. This is because I want to live in a country that looks after the most vulnerable people….etc

Even AS’s advisors don’t believe that he will deliver this. Take Stiglitz’s view on tax policy

Professor Joseph Stiglitz said:

“…there are some tax-avoiding jurisdictions, such as Ireland, that are competing in a race to the bottom by offering low tax rates, so much so that money kept abroad can almost escape taxation.”

“…the consequences are not just a matter of fairness.”

This isn’t the first time Professor Stiglitiz has criticised cuts to corporation tax, previously saying:

“It’s just a gift to the corporations increasing inequality in our society.”

When you own team point out that you are talking BS, you know you are on a sticky wicket.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not voting for Alex Salmond. I’m not voting for the SNP. I’m voting for the ability to decide our government.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

the author does a fairly reasonable job of being balanced and presents the yes and the no cases reasonably impartially

In an article titled,

Scottish Independence Is Inevitable
    The Independence Referendum Is a Test of Scotland’s Confidence

and that ends with,

I shall vote yes this September. The campaign has already taught me that if we don’t make it with this third referendum, there will be a fourth. It’s time to rejoin the world on our own terms.

is hardly balanced or impartial.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

More like fanciful…..like most of the yS arguments

bencooper
    Free Member

No stories are balanced or impartial. And that’s okay – newspapers don’t have an obligation to be balanced.

But when the BBC, who we all pay for and do have such an obligation, are so blatantly unbalanced then we have to take notice.

When they cover a Free Palestine demonstration in Glasgow, they interviewed a leading Labour politician, and forget to mention that he was booed off stage.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

No voters are a minority group and I believe they deserve at least 35% of articles regarding independence are about them. 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Beeb are perfectly balanced – everyone thinks that Auntie is biased against them!!!

That takes some doing – or just shows that the arguments are pretty false.

bencooper
    Free Member

The Beeb are perfectly balanced – everyone thinks that are biased against them!!!

Proper rigorous scientific research shows otherwise, and BBC management tried to undermine the professor who carried out the research.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Better Together is being tipped off about BBC debates so they can get their supporters into the audience.

A BBC Scotland spokesman said: “The BBC is committed to ensuring balance in all aspects of the Referendum Debate programmes, including an audience with equal numbers of Yes and No voters. We have been meticulous and successful in this regard in the shows so far.

“In order to ensure we can achieve this, we have occasionally contacted groups on both sides of the argument to ask if their supporters would like to apply to take part.

“Every applicant is vetted and selected using the same process, after filling in an online questionnaire and speaking to our audience producer.

“We will continue to produce our audiences in the same way for the remaining debates, in order to ensure both sides of the argument are properly represented.”[/b]

So Yes Scotland claims that the BBC are biased against them and haven’t invited them to Referendum Debate programmes, do you really expect people to believe that ?

Either the BBC or Yes Scotland are lying, they can’t both be telling the truth. Given the choice I’m sure people will make up their minds which of the two is most biased.

BTW Ben assuming that you are not a News International fully paid up subscriber who spends their Sunday mornings reading the Sunday Times, how did you manage to stumble on this article hidden behind a paywall ?

Does Wings Over Scotland send you an email alerting you of the latest line to push ?

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Juncker is not the source used in the article. More desperate separatist lies.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bloody spokespeople, hey? So easy to misinterpret. Look at what the yS one then said

A spokesperson for First Minister Alex Salmond said: “This confirms what we’ve said all along. Scotland is already part of the EU and as such already meets all the requirements for membership.

Now obviously those can’t be AS’s words as they are blatantly untrue, even after the article. Unless of course AS is……

Good job this is not important…..

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Juncker is not the source used in the article. More desperate separatist lies.

Given the historical connotations with the word separatist, and the current headlines regarding Russian separatists, I assume this is another rather lame attempt to troll yes voters. Give over and grow up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is hardly balanced or impartial.

He presents the No case reasonably well would you have preferred he had presented it in this style?

More desperate separatist lies.

If only he had achieved this level of balance eh

FWIW i am not a fan of un named sources but it is very common for the politicians spokesperson to brief off the record. Have you anything , beyond outrage, to counter the claim?
    Funny you criticise the lack of impartiality in others whilst doing this

Muddy everyone is in the UK both parties would be iS and rUK.
    Obvious troll is obvious.

In this vote both sides are the UK , were there a separation that is what they would be called. Everyone has used these terms throughout the debate.Been a lot of trolling on this point then 🙄

The Beeb are perfectly balanced – everyone thinks that Auntie is biased against them!!!

That takes some doing
    Indeed it does and they do a very difficult job very well. All politicians think they are against them. IMHO they wont be asking anyone from here to join them 😉

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

On the contrary I have been calling them separatists for quite some time. They support the separation of Scotland from the UK hence separatists. It is easier on the tongue than dissolutionists.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nationalist also has “connotations”. Most people are already “grown up” enough to separate the debate from what is going on in the Ukraine. Lame attempt to “troll” no voters perhaps!!! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Scotland is already part of the EU

Scotland is clearly part of the EU though the UK signs it were it not then neither is wales nor england

If it is not in the EU when you went to Scotland you would leave the EU and clearly you do not.
    By “blatantly untrue [ BBC wont be calling today] you mean the UK is in the EU and scotland is part of the EU but it has not signed it personally. That is true but it is clearly , currently, in the EU just as england is and Cornwall and Gwynedd etc.

It is really weak to claim Scotland is not in the EU I was born there I have an EU passport as does everyone else born there and I am an EU citizen, Amazing considering it is not in the EU eh 🙄

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

FWIW i am not a fan of un named sources but it is very common for the politicians spokesperson to brief off the record.

Have any proof of that? Do you work in politics or the press? Your arguments rarely stand up to any scrutiny.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/index_en.htm

Hard to find the word Scotland (or England/Wlales) on the official list.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

JY Scotland is currently part of the EU as it is part of the UK. There are no agreements stating that England or Scotland are part of the EU, only the UK is part of the EU. If England left the UK I would not expect to remain an EU citizen.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member

Given the historical connotations with the word separatist

What are they then ? I always understood separatist as referring to people who support a region breaking away from a larger region.

What do you have in mind when you mention “historical connotations” ?

ninfan
    Free Member

t is really weak to claim Scotland is not in the EU I was born there I have an EU passport as does everyone else born there and I am an EU citizen, Amazing considering it is not in the EU eh

Channel islanders hold EU passports, my ex and my daughters both do, as does everyone else born there, although islanders don’t have rights to freedom of movement within the EU, as the islands are not part of the EU

work that one out!

Look at it this way – If Martinique became independent from France, do you think they would still be part of the EU, and all the citizens would retain EU passports and freedom of movement?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

But if you click on the UK it gives you this:

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/unitedkingdom/index_en.htm

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes it does, and so what?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You said that it was hard to find the word Scotland on the official list. It isn’t difficult at all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It also mentions Lancashire hotpot made with lamb or beef, potatoes and onions, and Pakistan.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

You said that it was hard to find the word Scotland on the official list. It isn’t difficult at all.

Separatist desperation reaches a new low!

konabunny
    Free Member

What are the historical connotations of the word “separatist”? And how is “separatist” incorrect or pejorative when applied to people that want Scotland to separate from the UK?

In an article titled,

Scottish Independence Is Inevitable
    The Independence Referendum Is a Test of Scotland’s Confidence
    and that ends with,

I shall vote yes this September. The campaign has already taught me that if we don’t make it with this third referendum, there will be a fourth. It’s time to rejoin the world on our own terms.

is hardly balanced or impartial.[/quote]
    Just as a point of order: American newspapers in general, and the NYT in particular, are exceptionally tedious and pedantic about striving for balance and impartiality. The journalism culture is arse-archingly self-regarding in that respect. The exception is in editorial and opinion pieces, where there is no attempt or pretence at balance.

Ascherson’s was an opinion piece.

piemonster

I prefer to think of myself as a member of the Rebel Alliance.

Whether I’m a Lando or a Han Solo……..

piemonster

Out of interest – has anything that either of the sides of the debate has argued changed they way you are going to vote? Feel free to answer even if you do not have a vote for whatever reason.

Yes and No

Ben makes me swing to a No vote.

THM makes me swing to a Yes vote .

The leading edges of both the yes and no campaigns make me swing towards selling my house and trying to find somewhere not run by total *******

konabunny
    Free Member

Out of interest – has anything that either of the sides of the debate has argued changed they way you are going to vote? Feel free to answer even if you do not have a vote for whatever reason.

yes campaign moved me from a (hypothetical) probably yes to an almost certain (hypothetical) no. They just haven’t thought anything through.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Have any proof of that? Do you work in politics or the press? Your arguments rarely stand up to any scrutiny.

I dont work in the North Pole but I know it is cold, it is that level of controversial as statements go. If you must have a constant spat with me at least pick something of substance that may actually not be true.
    You want proof that politicians brief off the record? BRILLIANT 😆

JY Scotland is currently part of the EU as it is part of the UK. There are no agreements stating that England or Scotland are part of the EU, only the UK is part of the EU

Excellent so we both agree that scotland is part of the EU by virtue of being in the UK. Thanks.

Separatist desperation reaches a new low!

You have already agreed that scotland is part of the EU and now you are getting annoyed that someone else says the same thing with a reference 😕
    TBH all I see is No voters engaging in AS like 3 Bs [sic] here. When you go to scotland you remain in the EU there can be no debate on this point at all. there can be none on the point that the UK is the member and Scotland is part of that Union [ hence in the EU] and it will need to reapply if independent [ IMHO as a current member rather an new one but that bit is at least debatable].

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FFS , how is this even up for debate. Look at the latest link, the answer is in the words of the article….

Speaking to the Scotland on Sunday, a “senior EU source” said an independent Scotland’s application to join the EU would be treated as a “special case” as the country was already signed up to core requirements such as gender equality and workers’ rights.

If an iS was automatically a member why would anyone be talking about “joining”? It’s simple spin and BS to suggest anything otherwise.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.