Viewing 40 posts - 5,361 through 5,400 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • sbob
    Free Member

Its not unclear, in fact its perfectly clear that they said he said it then they said he did not as ben said

Who are quoting here Junkyard?

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is a FTFY to ninfan

anyway we get to discuss Obama now and I for one cannot wait.

sbob
    Free Member

Ah good, for a minute I thought it was

clearly a distortion to do this

but now I understand. 😛

sbob
    Free Member

Actually Junkers, just for you I met another Scot the other day and asked him yes or no, and he replied no but his name was Maitland and he said his family were instrumental in bringing the union together in the first place. Or he was being sarcastic.
    Any of you Scots recognise the name Viscount Maitland that he mentioned?
    My history is terrible in such matters. 😳

piemonster

Maybe you could ask Obama? He’s started commenting apparently.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Obama believes the UK is better together. Does anyone worth mentioning actually support separation?

piemonster

Members of the Scottish electorate?

Not all of them, clearly.

duckman

As far as the subject is concerned,Tunnock McNulty fae the Carlton is more important than you or Obama.

epicyclo

fasternotfatter – Member
    Obama believes the UK is better together. Does anyone worth mentioning actually support separation?

We are waiting for Justin Bieber to chime in…

bencooper
    Free Member

As one of probably a small number of Scottish/American dual nationals on here, I’d like to tell Mr Obama to mind his own business.

Good to see the UK government hasn’t changed – they tried to get Putin to come out against independence and failed, but Obama’s scripted statement shows he was more receptive.

Oh, and it was definitely scripted – within two hours there were official Better Together leaflets with a doctored “Hope” poster being handed out in Sauchiehall Street.

athgray
    Free Member

As the only No voter on here, I don’t mind Obama having an opinion. Why are Yes supporters keen to tell us about all the people and groups that support their cause, yet anyone from outside showing support for the UK is told to shut up?

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, I don’t know why some Yes people go on about which celebrities support independence – perhaps the same reason No roped in Obama, some people do what famous people tell them to.

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    As one of probably a small number of Scottish/American dual nationals on here, I’d like to tell Mr Obama to mind his own business.

I think we’ll find Obama would have said that it was up to the Scots to decide.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

but Obama’s scripted statement shows he was more receptive.

Oh, and it was definitely scripted

Any real proof of that Ben? I didn’t think so. It just goes to show being a nat means you don’t have a very close relationship with reality. 😆

sbob
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Yes, I don’t know why some Yes people go on about which celebrities support independence – perhaps the same reason No roped in Obama, some people do what famous people tell them to.

I just read the BBC report and what he said seemed perfectly reasonable, you ranting loony! 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The list gets longer still…..

What an amazing ability to unite so many divergent people to one cause. After the failure, maybe Austerity Alex can take a much wider global role uniting previously waring parties, He seems to be an expert. He could join Tony Bliar.

piemonster – Member
    Members of the Scottish electorate?

Not all of them, clearly.

Fortunately not, for all our sakes.

gordimhor

Why are Yes supporters keen to tell us about all the people and groups that support their cause, yet anyone from outside showing support for the UK is told to shut up?

Probably for the same reasons that Bettertogether supporters tell anyone outside Scotland who speaks in support of independence to shut up.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Gordimhor I would like to apologise on behalf of the one unionist that told Sean Connery to keep his nose out of it. Let’s face it the separatist movement has not had any support outside of Scotland apart from him.

epicyclo

fasternotfatter – Member
    …Let’s face it the separatist movement has not had any support outside of Scotland apart from him.

We don’t need it. Only people who live here get to vote.

But I am sure if we asked that nice Mr Putin, he would put in a good word. He seems keen on referendums.

gordimhor

FasternotFatter

you don’t have a very close relationship with reality. 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

Any real proof of that Ben? I didn’t think so. It just goes to show being a nat means you don’t have a very close relationship with reality.

Not yet – proof will emerge I’m sure. It was suggested on Today on Radio 4, it’s also been suggested by various other political journalists, and it’s strongly hinted at by the fact that, in 2 hours, Better Together managed to mock up a leaflet, have it printed, and distribute it on the streets.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It was suggested on Today on Radio 4

Well that’s got to be on par with the Guardian mentioning it. Oh ye of little faith

bencooper
    Free Member

The FT’s chief foreign affairs correspondent:

bencooper
    Free Member

By 3.25pm, Better Together had mocked up their poster – when was the press conference?

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Well combined with your strong hints and suggestions it looks like you have found definite proof. But on closer investigation it turns out the FT’s foreign affairs correspondent Gideon Rachman started his career at BBC news. So naturally he will be biased and we will have to ignore anything he says. 😆

ninfan
    Free Member

Wow, so you’re saying that the Prime minister of the United Kingdom has enough respect over the pond that he can get the most powerful man on earth to speak out in his favour on domestic issues like Scotland and the EU?

Its just a few months ago the Nationalists were telling us how the UK was a fading power with delusions of grandeur and an inability to come to terms with losing our status on a world stage 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

3.04pm – Obama answers a question about Scottish independence.*
    3.25pm – Better Together have sourced, mocked up, approved and published a poster about it.

That’s 21 minutes. There’s no way they didn’t know in advance.

* tin foil hat time – from a BBC journalist 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s no way they didn’t know in advance.

Which proves exactly what…..that Obama wants to do favours for Better Together ?

Is that what you’re trying to say ?

bencooper
    Free Member

That the UK government (which was, you remember, meant to be staying out of this referendum) has been asking foreign countries on the quiet to support the No campaign.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I see, so Obama merely said what the British Prime Minister told him to say.

Unfortunately though Better Together blew the cunning and devious plan by not waiting anymore than 21 minutes – how very silly of them !

So what other “foreign countries” do you think the British government has been asking on the quiet to support the No campaign ?

ninfan
    Free Member

which was, you remember, meant to be staying out of this referendum

Eh? thats quite clearly governed by S29 of the Edinburgh agreement, and I think you’ll find that the UK govt are not in breach of it 8)

Obama merely said what the British Prime Minister told him to say.

Thats something isn’t it – the US president at his beck and call. so much for Little England eh Ben?

gordimhor

Acording to this man the UK government asked for his input in January
    The Spectator

gordimhor

Ninfan Obama really only wants a place to rest his weary warheads.

aracer
    Free Member

FTFH

duckman

Probably for the same reasons that Bettertogether supporters tell anyone outside Scotland who speaks in support of independence to shut up.

The fact is that yes campaigners get more abuse. But since it is mostly our colonial masters (see aracer,we can do tedious insults as well) posting on here,that is something that needs to be overlooked. But you are a touchy lot,despite trying to reflect that on to us. As an example look what happened to Andy Murray when he dared just to suggest he didn’t support Engerland,Engerland at the football.

konabunny
    Free Member

“maybe Austerity Alex can take a much wider global role uniting previously waring parties, He seems to be an expert. He could join Tony Bliar.”

Oh, God, using these stupid nicknames makes you look like such a tiresome pillock.

bencooper
    Free Member

The fact is that yes campaigners get more abuse

In fact the No campaigners get such little abuse they’re forced to make it up:

http://www.snp-falkirk.org/new/2014/06/05/better-together-told-to-clean-up-their-act-after-attempted-smear-hits-the-buffers/#more-2077

bencooper
    Free Member

Eh? thats quite clearly governed by S29 of the Edinburgh agreement, and I think you’ll find that the UK govt are not in breach of it

David Cameron has repeatedly said that it’s a matter for the people of Scotland to decide – that’s his excuse for not having a debate with Alex Salmond.

Though of course you’re right – the No campaign is based south of the border:

ninfan
    Free Member

Oh, so now it is an England V Scotland thing after all 🙄

What exactly is the problem with the campaign to protect the union of Great Britain being registered where the elected Parliament of Great Britain is held?

That the United Kingdom of Great Britain be Represented by one and the same Parliament to be stiled the Parliament of Great Britain

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, good grief – stop conflating English-based institutions with the people of England.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,361 through 5,400 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.