Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • OS maps on Bing Maps
  • thejesmonddingo

I’ve been a happy user of these for years,but this morning, I can’t access the Ordnance Survey mapping,is there a problem I’m unaware of,they were working OK last week?

Trimix
    Free Member

Its not worked for me all week, may be an issue with them not paying for the OS licence. Shame, as I used to print out sections for map reading.

thejesmonddingo

Damn,I’ve been using Chrome,but just checked and it’s the same on Edge,one of my favourite sites.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not working for me either. Try Walk The Highlands or Where’s The Path if you need an OS map

petec
    Free Member

Still appears to be on streetmap

thejesmonddingo

Thanks STW,will try the alternatives.

trailwagger
    Free Member

walklakes is another alternative for free OS maps

outofbreath
    Free Member

Didn’t work for me yesterday.

DezB
    Free Member

Shame, I liked Bing for drawing routes on the OS maps. Hope it comes back.

sarawak
    Free Member

Working just fine here and has been all week.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Didn’t realise it was a thing. I use the Maps app in Windows sometimes, mainly on my tablet as I can download entire countries or states for offline use. Does scribbling on the map, routes and measurements. Not noticed OS maps on it though, only Here maps, but then maybe the app never did it.

I always use OSM for nearest thing to OS, and to be honest it has most the same stuff and things crowd sourced that OS doesn’t have. And nice cycle map layer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or bikehike.co.uk

DezB
    Free Member

sarawak

Working just fine here and has been all week.

Where’s “here”? Provide screenshot for evidence please!

sarawak
    Free Member

Working on my Samsung phone. Full OS maps just by clicking the select button.
    No idea how to put images on here so you’ll just have to believe me!!!

pocpoc
    Free Member

I noticed the same last night. Not working for me. Chrome on Windows 7 laptop.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

just bookmarking for “other” sites to use….
    Bing is good.

phiiiiil

For £19 a year the OS Maps subscription is good; it works on mobiles, offline, does routes and whatnot and (presumably!) is always up-to-date (I hope!).

I used Bing maps or maps of dubious origin on AlpineQuest but the OS subscription is a lot better.

martinhutch

Seems like a tech issue, given that the os button is still available on bing maps

konagirl
    Free Member

It’s something technical I reckon. It used to only work on bing.co.uk not bing.com. Now when you select it, the web address updates to bing.com/maps?cc=gb. I reckon someone has f’d an update without realising.

martinhutch

There has definitely been an update of some sort, the UI looks slightly different.

nedrapier

Mine used to take me somewhere odd like Swindon or Witley near Reading. Now it takes me to an overview of europe. TH OS button is there, but it doesn’t work. Pretty sure it was working earlier this week.

DezB
    Free Member

I like that it still says this:
    [c] OS

deadkenny
    Free Member

Mine used to take me somewhere odd like Swindon

Round the back of Nationwide? 😉

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Not working for me either(Chrome/Windows 10)

Moses

Nor me, Win 10 / Firefox

petec
    Free Member

it’s back now.

Woohoo

DezB
    Free Member

Yep… you can thank me for raising it with Microsoft 😉

pocpoc
    Free Member

yay!

DrJ

Working. I didn’t know about this before. Awsum!!!

jekkyl

It is handy. Print fullscreen and you’ve got free OS maps. Really would be better on Google maps and working on mobile devices.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another for OS maps at 19 quid a year, really worth it for offline mapping outwith 4G range.

PJay
    Free Member

It’s working for me in Chrome on Windows 10. Interestingly OS doesn’t seem to be an option with the Bing Maps app that ships with Windows 10.

Not working for me either(Chrome/Windows 10)

Don’t forget that you only see OS maps above a certain zoom level; if you zoom further out you’ll get a non-OS view.

cp

Phew, working again! Can cheekily plan this afternoons ride again 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t know about this before.

Best thing about it is the right-click, Measure Distance option. You can draw a line on any route and it well, measures the distance… (it appears they’ve recently removed the ability to save these as routes, so you have to screenshot them.)

squirrelking
    Free Member

It is handy. Print fullscreen and you’ve got free OS maps. Really would be better on Google maps and working on mobile devices.

Be warned it’s not the most up to date mapping, the one for my area is several years out of date whilst the open OS map is bang on. Not knocking it but you shouldn’t rely on it for completely up to date info.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘OS maps on Bing Maps’ is closed to new replies.