Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • OS maps digital version of paper map.
  • Ambrose

I’ve just received a paper OS map that has a scratch off strip to reveal a code. map is now downloaded to my phone- woop woop, happy Ambrose 🙂 I can’t test it out yet because the map is of an area miles away.
    So, has anyone got any experience of this and have any tips they would like to share with me?

finephilly
    Free Member

yea, OS maps are the dogs danglies. I wouldn’t use anything else. I have the UK subscription which is ~£25 yearly. Great value, I think. Biggest help is it shows your location, so in bad weather or if you are not totally sure where you are, it’s perfect.

garage-dweller

^^^^

What they said. Got a 30 day trial on a holiday in the Lakes several years ago – never occurred to me to cancel it. Just brilliant for days out in the hills as a back up (still always carry paper) and for one off days out in places you can’t justify a tenner on a paper map to use once or twice.

finephilly
    Free Member

I am assuming the ‘free download’ version shows your current location as it uses the same app.
    Even if you don’t get a subscription to the 1:50/1:25 scale, it’s pretty good.

dc1988

I initially had the digital download of some paper maps, now I subscribe and have been for quite a few years as I find using the app much better overall than paper maps (especially when it’s windy)

pocpoc
    Free Member

One tip – if you want to use the offline map then it’s best to turn airplane mode on. If the app senses even the slightest hint of a data connection it will try and stream fresh maps rather than use the one saved on your phone, no matter how long it sits there with a blank screen it won’t acknowledge the offline one.
    Other than that, great app. I’m another annual subscriber, well worth the money.

zilog6128

Other than that, great app. I’m another annual subscriber, well worth the money.

I thought it was OK but not great, once I got over my initial disgust with Outdoor Active (more out of principle than anything!!) I much prefer that – although I think the OS maps option is some kind of Premium Plus bollocks (i.e. more money 🙄)

Spin
    Free Member

I thought it was OK but not great

Same here, it works but it could be better. The French equivalent actually works much better.

airvent
    Free Member

I thought it was OK but not great, once I got over my initial disgust with Outdoor Active (more out of principle than anything!!) I much prefer that – although I think the OS maps option is some kind of Premium Plus bollocks (i.e. more money 🙄)

OS Maps on Outdoor Active are the standard premium membership, i use it and think its good value for money. Premium plus gets you some additional maps like HARVEY Maps, Alpine Club, ADFC-BVA Bike Map and KOMPASS. None of them are of particular interest to me.

Ambrose

Now I’m confused. I have a digital download of just two sheets, one that covers Machynlleth and another one for the Quantocks. They are downloaded to the phone to be used offline.

No subscription fee involved. Each digital copy was obtained from a code inside the paper map’s cover. Has anyone else done this? I’m assuming that I have a perpetual license.

DickBarton

The map downloads to your device so if you scroll to the area you can zoom in and access your local copy…

Spin
    Free Member

Has anyone else done this? I’m assuming that I have a perpetual license.

Yes, you can access the premium maps on the app (Landranger and Explorer) either by paying yearly fee or using the code on a paper map. Yearly fee gives you the whole of the UK, the code just gives you the area of the map in question but it doesn’t expire as far as I know.

phil5556

No subscription fee involved. Each digital copy was obtained from a code inside the paper map’s cover. Has anyone else done this? I’m assuming that I have a perpetual license.

Yes. whenever you buy a paper map you can also  download a digital version of it that sits in the OS App for you to use. Forever AFAIK.

The other option is you can pay an annual subscription and you can then view premium (1:25k and 1:50k) maps of the whole of the UK. You can also download areas to use offline without a network connection, which I assume are only accessible until your subscription expires.

The subscription is about £25 and for me is great value, you can also print off using their web service which is very handy to produce A4 maps of a walk etc.

wheelsonfire1

Another very happy subscriber here. I use paper maps as well but the ability to view any area of Britain before you decide to go is excellent. National cycle network maps available now on there too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

One tip – if you want to use the offline map then it’s best to turn airplane mode on.

Will try that as quite frankly offline maps has never worked where I live (area with very poor 4g)

It would be handy if OS Maps would find your GPS position quickly too. It never takes more than 10 seconds but repeatedly having to press the button is a little worrying. Viewranger always got it right first time !

shermer75
    Free Member

I love the map downloads. You can plot routes on them, which makes distance estimating etc much more accurate. It’s got to the point now where I don’t even use the paper map any more!

Top tip- it works much better in airplane mode for some reason- overwise it can take forever for the map to load. The way pointer still works (I guess GPS is still on) and it saves batt too. Winner winner!

ElShalimo

@spin – got a link to the French App?

Is it IGN?

finephilly
    Free Member

Hmm, Outdoor active looks good for European coverage aswell. Even better value!

Spin
    Free Member

got a link to the French App?

Yes, the IGN one. £14.99 oer year.

phil5556

@FunkyDunc what phone are you using?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nothing better than laying an OS map on the kitchen table & plotting a route then scratching the scratchy bit off & downloading the whole map to your phone.
    I use them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

what phone are you using?

iPhone 11 Pro

chickenman

I really like the OS app, use it on aeroplane mode with saved maps. It seems pretty accurate but curiously the OS Locate app seems to consistently exaggerate the altitude by about 50m. The munro Gulvain near Glenfinnan is interesting as its two summits are on separate sheets on both the 25 & 50k maps. There are mistakes on the contour heights which are really obvious on the app but clearly not on the paper versions.

scotroutes

FWIW if all you want to know is your current GR then the OS Locate app gives it very quickly and with minimal key pressing.

phil5556

iPhone 11 Pro

I’ve not had any issues on iPhone but using Viewranger on Android (admittedly a few years ago) I had plenty of issues.

tractionman

for those interested in OS maps, the National Library of Scotland has heaps online and free to view, including the OS 1:10,000 scale map series which offers great detail on the landscape, and recent enough in many rural areas of Britain still to have navigational use as well as curiosity value, try

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5&lat=55.34300&lon=-2.34230&layers=193&b=1

cheers,

Keith

Ambrose

Cheers for that Keith. I can see myself wasting an hour or two on that site 😉

StirlingCrispin

Cheers for that Keith. I can see myself wasting an hour or two on that site

Is that all ?

My favourite layer is OS 1:25k 1900s. I can spend forever exploring the railway marshalling yards, tram lines, and factories. And so many curling ponds!

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.12084&lon=-3.93347&layers=225&b=1

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.